Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K, i7-7700, i5-7600K, i5-7600 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Based on our initial testing, we can confirm that HD Graphics 630 does not function correctly under Windows 7 and 8.1. Both operating systems install generic drivers for the display adapter, even after applying the latest drivers and updates, so many core features remain unavailable. We also experienced stability issues with Windows 7 that might even negate using an add-in GPU as a workaround.

Not true, i setup Kaby Lake in my lab and everything works fine under Windows 7. Did you guys even try to apply drivers for HD Graphic 630?

Jim90

Distinguished
"Intel’s slow cadence of incremental upgrades hasn’t done much to distance its products from AMD's.
"...Obviously we need a competitive AMD to help reinvigorate the desktop PC space."

Without real competition the only risk Intel takes with the Desktop market is to loose sight of (i.e. actively ignore) the performance jump the consumer expects in a new release. Continual and lengthy minor incremental updates (pretty much what we've seen since the 2000 series) may well lead to consumer apathy. I certainly haven't upgraded 'as much as I could!' recently. Absolutely no justifiable need.

Then again, perhaps we've all had access to enough power we need? We used to talk about 'killer apps/software' to drive consumers into making a purchase. This certainly did work. Maybe new tech (currently available) isn't killer enough? We need another '3dfx Voodoo' experience?
VR is certainly (definite?) a potential driver...here's hoping for speedy and significant updates here.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Hello, yes we did test and attempt to install the HD Graphics 630 drivers. We are working with early BIOS revisions, so it is possible that we encountered a platform-specific issue. Can you share which motherboard you used for your testing? Any feedback is welcome.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
You really have drivers for the Z270 chipset with official support of Windows 7 from intel and Microsoft? I tried it also and was not able to run KL with all features on a W7 installation. It runs, somehow. :)

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Intel's non-E CPUs are great for laptops, but it seems that they'll become irrelevant for desktops with dedicated graphics. Skylake-E will surely be much more interesting for top performance. For gaming, an eight-core Ryzen seems more attractive than buying a CPU with four ultra-fast cores, and hundreds of millions of transistors destined for graphics that you won't ever use.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Kaby Lake is good if you upgrading something from AMD FX...lol
Kaby Lake best use in Windows 10
Kaby Lake Perfromance it better than what AMD FX Provides so goodluck to far range upgraders.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
not much difference between kaby and skylake. skylake il stick too till cannonlake comes about. for those amd airheads come on it runs hot at stock settings also intel are not bothered about amd and what they have to offer as intel rises up more people using intel than amd imo

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I was expecting to see a definitive, albeit small efficiency improvement over Sky lake.
That's what I read into the 14nm+ label they're using. Atleast with a "14nm+" process you'd think they should've ironed out alot of the production process variability.
I can only conclude that the production process variations of the 14nm+ is greater that the improvement of "going from 14nm to 14nm+".

Is the 14nm+ just a marketing gimmick?

I'll go with "tick-tock-toe" because this is nowhere near as interesting as a real tock.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
the only diff between kaby lake and skylake is kaby lakes igpu supporgs vp9 and hvec 10 codecs. that's it and has e saw here a skylake clocked at the same speed as kaby lake shows no performance diff.

G

I did not use Z270 chipset but Z170. Kaby Lake with Z170 works fine under Windows 7. Again, don't have Z270 motherboard.

I used this board

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4+/index.us.asp

The latest UEFI update supports Kaby Lake. Works fine under Windows 7 so MS. story of Windows 7 not able to fully support Kaby Lake is a B.S. For Z270 i would wait Intel to release an appropriate drivers and it will happen.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
They really should just be called i7-6750k and i56650k seeing as all they are is a stock speed bump.
Basically meaningless to anyone that overclocks on Skylake already.
I'm still going to upgrade my 2500k this year but to what exactly I'm not sure.
Hopefully AMD give us a better showing, though I doubt they can match the 7700k in games, and I'm a gamer so it's probably where I'm looking.

G

I agree. For someone who is about to buy a brand new system, this is a good option but for people who are coming from older generation no need to upgrade. Intel needs to step up but it won't happen until AMD does something. I do hope that new Ryzen costs same as 7700k but being 8/16 and beating high end x99 CPU in business scenarios and 7700K in gaming. It will force Intel to maybe merge x99 and z270 platform into one and lower the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.