News Intel Launches Arc A380 Desktop Graphics Card in China

Hm... $140 is really close to the RX6400, but looks like this may be a better price/performance assuming the drivers are good enough. Plus, it has slightly more VRAM, so that's always a plus, I guess? As always, wait for proper benchies, but maybe there's a new "low end budget king". Let's hope Intel delivers.

Regards.

Reactions: artk2219

lightofhonor

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
Hm... $140 is really close to the RX6400, but looks like this may be a better price/performance assuming the drivers are good enough. Plus, it has slightly more VRAM, so that's always a plus, I guess? As always, wait for proper benchies, but maybe there's a new "low end budget king". Let's hope Intel delivers.

Regards.
It's also a double slot card and runs at 75W vs 53W single slot. Will be interesting to see a wider range of tests.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Hopefully that price holds when released in the US. Maybe that will help push down the price of other GPUs. The RX6500 should really be priced about the same as this which might make a good match up between them.

Hopefully that price holds when released in the US. Maybe that will help push down the price of other GPUs. The RX6500 should really be priced about the same as this which might make a good match up between them.
I'm guessing this will be closer to the RX 6400 in gaming performance, but we'll see how it goes. I'm definitely interested in testing one and am trying to get ahold of a card. It speaks volumes that Intel isn't launching this in the US first, though!

Reactions: King_V and artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
I'm guessing this will be closer to the RX 6400 in gaming performance, but we'll see how it goes. I'm definitely interested in testing one and am trying to get ahold of a card. It speaks volumes that Intel isn't launching this in the US first, though!

I agree, that was also my first thought, then again, gaming cafe's are a MUCH bigger thing there, and this fits solidly in with the PC's they're likely to have at those cafe's, so maybe they're just launching it where its likely to do better as an upgrade card for machines coming from like a GTX 1050 or RX 550?

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Don't worry, scalpers got all your concerns about pricing already covered! :devilish:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
It's also a double slot card and runs at 75W vs 53W single slot. Will be interesting to see a wider range of tests.

IMHO, 20W extra is still ok since this is intended as a low cost, low end desktop card. Coupled with 65W CPUs, a 300W PSU Will power the PC nicely.

Of course, it won't cut it for demanding games but those like CS, DOTA etc should not be a problem.

Reactions: NP and Why_Me

InvalidError

Titan
What, exactly, does it say?
When do we see any foreign (to China) companies launch stuff in China first? That almost only happens when companies release China-exclusive crippled variants of popular models.

What does that say about Intel? That it doesn't expect the products to perform well enough to survive criticism in the rest of the world in its current state.

InvalidError

Titan
No reviews of this card in China nor anywhere else.
Depending on how Intel chose to "launch" the GPU, it could take a few weeks for someone to actually get their hands on it.

Expectations are in the neighborhood of a GTX1650, which is pretty 'meh' for $150. At least it has 6GB of VRAM, a normal encode/decode feature set and probably at least 4.0x8.

Reactions: Why_Me

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Speaking of which, and speaking on behalf of the approximately NINE people in the world who care, are there plans to test the RX6400?

When do we see any foreign (to China) companies launch stuff in China first? That almost only happens when companies release China-exclusive crippled variants of popular models.

What does that say about Intel? That it doesn't expect the products to perform well enough to survive criticism in the rest of the world in its current state.
That may very well be,
or somebody in China gave them a crap ton of money to get their hands on GPUs because every other channel has dried up,
or China is the biggest market for low end GPUs so why not start where you are going to make the most money,
or the cards are manufactured in Asia so they have to travel the shortest distance to reach China,
or whatever.

Speaking of which, and speaking on behalf of the approximately NINE people in the world who care, are there plans to test the RX6400?
Yes! I actually showed some charts on today's TH Show:
View: https://youtu.be/YQnU39CJTCY?t=1437

TLDR: 53W power, performance about 20% lower than the RX 6500 XT. Performance also about 5% lower than the GTX 1650 (GDDR5). Given the GTX 1650 actually has better media capabilities, I'd probably still give it the edge, especially if you can pick up a GDDR6 model (which you probably can).

Full review will maybe be up by the weekend. It's not a terrible card, but right now it's only about $15 cheaper than the RX 6500 XT, If you really want a GPU that doesn't require a 6-pin connector, though, this is probably as good as it gets.

Reactions: King_V and bolweval

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
fp32, fp16 simd, matrix processing in bf16, int8, int4, all with oneDNN support. I'd like to see a review from that perspective rather than the gaming stuff that seems to get about 99% of the focus.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes! I actually showed some charts on today's TH Show:
View: https://youtu.be/YQnU39CJTCY?t=1437

TLDR: 53W power, performance about 20% lower than the RX 6500 XT. Performance also about 5% lower than the GTX 1650 (GDDR5). Given the GTX 1650 actually has better media capabilities, I'd probably still give it the edge, especially if you can pick up a GDDR6 model (which you probably can).

Full review will maybe be up by the weekend. It's not a terrible card, but right now it's only about $15 cheaper than the RX 6500 XT, If you really want a GPU that doesn't require a 6-pin connector, though, this is probably as good as it gets.

Looking forward to it... will have to give that a view a bit later. Though . . maybe it's because of some of the movies I've watched, but that still shot from the youtube clip - you're definitely giving off Delightfully Cackling Mad Scientist vibes (cue in lightning and thunder in the background, and a hearty "MUAHAHAHAHAAA!")

5% lower than 1650 GDDR5? Interesting... I only recently stumbled across a review (Dawid Does Tech Stuff), and, ultimately, with his test, it traded blows with the 1650 GDDR6, winning 3 games and losing 3 games. Though, I imagine that game selection would've factored heavily into that. And, it seemed that when the Nvidia card won, it won by a wider margin than when the AMD card won.

fp32, fp16 simd, matrix processing in bf16, int8, int4, all with oneDNN support. I'd like to see a review from that perspective rather than the gaming stuff that seems to get about 99% of the focus.
For the A380, none of that will be very important, because it's the low-end model. It's bf16 performance with matrix cores aren't massively faster than other stuff that's been available via RTX cards. 128 MXM, 1024-bit each, 2GHz = potentially 32.8 TFLOPS. RTX 3050 as a point of comparison has basically twice that throughput, even the 2060 had 52 TFLOPS for FP16 on its tensor cores. It's potentially an interesting inference engine, maybe that's what China will do with these: build a bunch of self-driving cars. The difficulty with testing that stuff is finding meaningful ways of doing so, as it's generally proprietary ML/AI algorithms tuned for whatever architecture the company making them uses.