Intel Launches Dedicated App Store for Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I think when Google gets wind of this they'll create their own App Store; link it to Gmail, youtube, and Google, and slowly "Chromenize" all netbooks.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
[citation][nom]rolli59[/nom]Everybody wants a piece of the cake.[/citation]

Agreed. I think this will never get off the ground.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Markets seem more friendly to use than what we used to use in the decades past. You know, getting CDs and installing software, or downloading the exe hoping the shareware is not a trojan. The AppStore concept should have being born in the PC sector. Better late than never.

The original appstore really are the Linux's repositories. That was the first time I started to just pick out the apps from a list and they would get installed automatically. Nobody took notice of that because the open source movement does not have a big marketing department... maybe the should get one!

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So... a centralized location to download poorly written software to bloat up and slow down a netbook. Where do I sign?

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]rolli59[/nom]Everybody wants a piece of the cake.[/citation]

Ive already seen the cake, through a "Portal" on my ION Netbook

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm not a huge netbook fan, but this is pretty cool. Having the ability to quickly connect to a single service rather than searching everything manually would be a step up.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I am yet to check out this "app" store , but if there were enough free applications, it could work well. Having a collection of netbook optimized software would be handy, rather than the current trial and error when seeing if a particular application is netbook friendly.

I heard rumours that MS were going to add some sort of an "app" store to Windows 8. Currently 90% of my software I download anyway, so I wouldn't object if I could source them all in the one place and then download from a nearby mirror.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
All that the devs and app store hosts see are dollar signs...all i see is garbage and bloatware. The net if full of very useful and totally free programs. For those that didnt know, the net doesnt stop at facebook and itunes/appstore. Its ok to go out there and see what cool programs people have come up with. Heck you never know, you might even learn something new!

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Debian/linux has had an "appstore" for years. It is called apt-get, there are others like emerge, yum. Finally windows is sort of catching on.

adonn78

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
How about an App that plays HD video? No? then how about they make mroe capable CPU's and integrated GPU's. Oh SNAP!

infodan

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
An app store for windows? i'm confused, i thought in windows these were called PROGRAMS and the store was called THE INTERNET?

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
This is really good and it's something linux had for years. After trying on Win7 I was amazed at how difficult is to find that application, install it, update it. Went back to Ubuntu in a minute. That's something MANDATORY for ANY system, not only netbooks.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mihaimm[/nom]This is really good and it's something linux had for years. After trying on Win7 I was amazed at how difficult is to find that application, install it, update it. Went back to Ubuntu in a minute. That's something MANDATORY for ANY system, not only netbooks.[/citation]
Uh, I guess no one has ever been to Cnet's www.download.com then?
Freeware, shareware, full pay-for software, every OS, every platform, desktop & mobile.
Don't kid yourself into thinking Linux or Apple had a single site for software before anybody, PC was always there first.

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]The AppStore concept should have being born in the PC sector.[/citation]
It's called Steam.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
the AppUp.com site looks great with lots of categories to choose from.
i hope Intel doesn't allow crapware or malware to be included. if they
can run on netbooks decently, imagine how they'll perform on a i3/i5
notebook.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Just so you know, the best 3D game I found (Snow Rally) has the same graphics as a rally game I have on my Java mobile phone.

And just so you know, when I had a netbook, it nearly played Morrowind. Which is times more beautiful and elaborate than a mobile rally game.

Status
Not open for further replies.