News Intel Launches Eight Core Tiger Lake-H Processors: More Power, Lower Clocks

Jeez, I thought my i7 9750h was a hot potato at 65w peak. It typically gets up to 80c (after undervolt, repaste and cooling fan)!!

Manufacturers will have to get creative with chassis design and cooling. Given most manufacturers' cooling systems are 'just adequate' at rated TDP, these babies are gonna burn!

Even with cTDP down, that I9 will still run very hot with 8 cores.

Reactions: dimar

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
"...not only is it contending with AMD's increasingly popular 7nm Ryzen "Renoir" chips..."

If AMD's chips are so popular, how did Intel gain market share in laptops again in q1? Is it just because of the supply constraints?

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
"Intel also made some compromises on the memory front, too."

dual channel ddr4. A 128GB option is the kind of compromise I'd go for.

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
"...not only is it contending with AMD's increasingly popular 7nm Ryzen "Renoir" chips..."

If AMD's chips are so popular, how did Intel gain market share in laptops again in q1? Is it just because of the supply constraints?
This is how yellow journalism looks like.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
"The overwhelming majority of software doesn't leverage either AI or AVX-512, and it will be several years before we see broad uptake."

That seems to be Intel's goal ... encouraging developers to use avx512 and dlboost.

You might also guess that no one needs pcie4 on laptops because AMD doesn't provide it, but perhaps the laptop configurations Intel chose for the comparisons demonstrate a pcie advantage.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Good gracious, who doesn't want more power consumption served up with lower clocks?...;) Tantalizing. Ah, it's the old Intel staple, isn't it?

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

In the context of the number of design wins that AMD has with OEMs, yes, Ryzen is becoming very popular (50% increase each gen, 150+ designs this round, off the top of my head). Supply issues are absolutely a constraint right now. It can be difficult to find Ryzen laptops, and nigh impossible in some regions outside of the US.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
"The overwhelming majority of software doesn't leverage either AI or AVX-512, and it will be several years before we see broad uptake."

That seems to be Intel's goal ... encouraging developers to use avx512 and dlboost.

You might also guess that no one needs pcie4 on laptops because AMD doesn't provide it, but perhaps the laptop configurations Intel chose for the comparisons demonstrate a pcie advantage.

That's a fair point. I believe that enabling the ecosystem is a worthwhile pursuit, and after a number of years it has the potential to be transformative. However, uptake will be slight over the next year (and maybe for several more - look at AVX512), especially when viewed through the prism of the entire software ecosystem. Given the absolute rarity of software that supports these features, I don't think that Intel should use it almost exclusively in the benchmarks (two of three). It just isn't relevant to the overwhelming majority of users today.

TRENDING THREADS