Intel Launches Ereader for the Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]that sounds awesome! until we get to the price....[/citation]

"Don Johnston is selling it for $1,499 and the capture station will cost you an extra $399."

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
haha i dont want to be mean, but how can a blind person read the menus and use the buttons, how do they update it? dont tell me they have to hook it up to a pc lol

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The Reader is, of course, Atom-powered and while at first glance it looks a lot like an ereader, it's not your average Kindle copycat.
Don Johnston is selling it for $1,499 and the capture station will cost you an extra $399.

You're right, this isn't a Kindle at all.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]this shows love for the blind but how will they know which buttons are which in the first place?[/citation]
Like most everything else, they get taught, they remember and they use the device. I can use most of my devices by feel alone without having to look at it.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]this shows love for the blind but how will they know which buttons are which in the first place?[/citation]

Ever heard of braille?

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
ermmm.... they point the camera... and take a shot... so if there blind how do they know where to point??? is there a voice prompt??? "a little to the left... no your other left... stop... up......" there is a station for helping with converting chapters, however i don't see the blind buying alot of non brail books, i beleve there's a much more cheaper version called an audio book although navigating that library is an entirely different undaertaking... o ya one more question how would they know if it freezes or just runs out of batteries?

pwnzerage

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dhowie[/nom]haha i dont want to be mean, but how can a blind person read the menus and use the buttons, how do they update it? dont tell me they have to hook it up to a pc lol[/citation]

Guide dogs?

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]khimera2000[/nom]ermmm.... they point the camera... and take a shot... so if there blind how do they know where to point??? is there a voice prompt??? "a little to the left... no your other left... stop... up......" there is a station for helping with converting chapters, however i don't see the blind buying alot of non brail books, i beleve there's a much more cheaper version called an audio book although navigating that library is an entirely different undaertaking... o ya one more question how would they know if it freezes or just runs out of batteries?[/citation]

hmmm.. i have an idea for the freezes.. imagine Loud Scream Of Death like the BSOD but with voices(whines more like it)... anyway.. to know a battery is gonna run out isnt really hard to put into a feature.. even normal handphones now have vibration and/or certain sounds that signals that the batery almost empty...

"I'm Blind NOT DEAF"- sum1 i dun remember..

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
At first glance it looks more like a walkman, not an ereader. Random.

I can't see this being very popular, though I suppose it's good they're trying.

G

A blind man already invented cell phone software that does the same thing. Take a picture and it reads to you. And I think this was over a year ago.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
My dad lost his sight to diabetes over 10 years ago and he used to read constantly. Right now he gets by with the Library of Congress tape deck for books but it's difficult for him to get new books or the ones he wants (you put a list in for the books you want and you may or may not get the exact ones you want because of availability). It's a good system but it is difficult to get current stuff, especially periodicals, which limits most of his immediate news intake to listening to cable news (/shudder).

This looks like a great portable solution for blind/low vision, however I wonder about the size of the buttons. My dad is fortunate that he hasn't lost all his tactile sensation in his hands (a frequent problem for diabetics) but he doesn't have enough to read braille. The recessed buttons almost look a little too 'modern' and streamlined to give it a cool "iLook" rather than being a little more practical in size/layout which does concern me however. But, then again my dad does manage just fine using the flat touchpad on the microwave and that doesn't even have a tactile response.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]Is it a toy or necessity item? is it covered thru insurance? I am not sure who can afford this....[/citation]
No, this won't be covered by anyone's insurance. It's, "Experimental."
And you thought the Apple tablet was going to be an overpriced e-reader!

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This could be a great asset to schools teaching the blind/sight impaired. And that is probably why Don Johnson is selling it since they make alot of stuff for children with physical and mental disabilities.

ttangx

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I don't know why but I thought that this would be like a eReader in braille that generated bumps on the fly >_<

Anyway. this sounds pretty interesting as well

Status
Not open for further replies.