News Intel Launches Lakefield Hybrid CPUs with Foveros 3D Stacking

I wanna see how well these actually do in terms of battery life and performance. In theory, the segmenting of performance cores and more efficient cores is good (many mobile SOC designs) but we've yet to see a big x86 product release with this type of layout. Can't wait to see how this actually performs in some reputable benchmark suites and in the hands of reviewers.

Reactions: watzupken

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Incredibly efficient but also incredibly limiting.

How so? This is a scenario of choosing the right hardware for the task. These will be best used in place of 'Ultrabooks', or high portability/low power devices. Great for day-to-day 'client' computing, but not for heavy processing tasks. These should run web based apps, office apps, and other general ERP client apps without an issue, and do so with likely a 20+ hour battery life - depending on the platform.

Feb 19, 2020
How so? This is a scenario of choosing the right hardware for the task. These will be best used in place of 'Ultrabooks', or high portability/low power devices. Great for day-to-day 'client' computing, but not for heavy processing tasks. These should run web based apps, office apps, and other general ERP client apps without an issue, and do so with likely a 20+ hour battery life - depending on the platform.
You literally just said what he meant, they aren't powerful processors, but are extremely efficient

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I wanna see how well these actually do in terms of battery life and performance. In theory, the segmenting of performance cores and more efficient cores is good (many mobile SOC designs) but we've yet to see a big x86 product release with this type of layout. Can't wait to see how this actually performs in some reputable benchmark suites and in the hands of reviewers.
I agree. Looking forward to see the performance.

Last edited:
Since all the benchmark suits are made to benchmark a completely different set up and use case I would venture it will do pretty badly.
I'm sure there is a benchmark suite that is specifically targeted toward the use case of this product. such as PCMark 10 express, or any combination of reviewer created productivity benchmarks such as excel, video looping, basic office tasks, battery life, etc., that do reflect general usage of the target audience. In those cases, I would imagine this doing at least quite decently, unless Intel has managed to screw something up.

jpe1701

Honorable
If its 7W, I think this can easily go passive. I do hope this 7W is exactly 7W, and not like how they say its 65W on their desktop CPU but actually pulling 3x the power. If this goes beyond, the battery life is going to be impacted.
Oh I agree but what I meant was if it is a 3d chip, how is it cooled? Or is 3d just a marketing term here? I haven't kept up on this. The last thing I read about 3d CPUs was a piece about IBM using fluid in microchannels through out the CPU to keep it cool.