News Intel launches Lunar Lake: claims Arm-beating battery life, world’s fastest mobile CPU cores

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
Memory-on-package looks like a design win... Intel would be winning more if their graphics drivers were better.

I want AMD to use memory on package for Strix P, the most memory bandwidth starved design in a while.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Certainly interesting if these numbers and power draw hold up in independent reviews. I would love to see 3 competitors fighting for position in the CPU and maybe someday GPU space. Competition is always a good thing.

Reactions: Jagar123

Giroro

Splendid
The Core Ultra 9 288V, has a nearly identical looking spec sheet to the Core Ultra 5 268V. That extra GPU core and minor clock boost might make their top tier product perform at best around 20% better than entry level in Integrated-graphics tier games, maybe 10% better elsewhere. It will probably more significantly better at post-boost multi-core workloads that you really shouldn't be running on an ultrabook, thanks only to its much higher TDP. It might even have worse battery life.
They didn't even bother (or couldn't) to give it an extra boost in memory capacity. 32GB is not enough when you consider they expect this processor to be in $2000+ laptops.

If Intel thinks it will be able to demand "Core i9" premium pricing from customers with their top tier product, I don't think it's going to work out for them this gen.

Plus they need to radically overhaul how they put together these slides and present this kind of marketing information. It comes across as both unexciting, and untrustworthy.

Giroro

Splendid
Why are the slide image of such a poor quality? Can't read any text even when maximized. If so, what's the point to include?

I kindof giggled at the irony when I couldn't read the asterisk disclaimer text on their "The Fastest Cores. Period.*" Slide.

It's like I'm trying to make a snide remark about a blatant marketing contradiction over here, and I can't even properly throw Intel's own words back in their face.

graham006

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
We're finally starting to see what Intel design can do when fabbed at TSMC. All I can think is RIP Intel foundary.
No.. Intel's fabs just weren't ready for THIS product announcement. The contract to fab Lunar Lake on TSMC was likely completed years ago, before Intel had embarked on it's fabled "four nodes in 5 years" death march. Intel appears to be on track with at least 3 of those four nodes and if they do complete it, you bet that Panther Lake will be manufactured in Intel factories.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
Intel finally revealed its performance benchmarks for its Lunar Lake Core Ultra 200V-series processors here in Berlin, Germany, touting ‘historic x86 power efficiency’ coupled with the world’s fastest mobile CPU cores and 30% faster gaming performance than competing processors.

Intel launches Lunar Lake: claims Arm-beating battery life, world’s fastest mobile CPU cores : Read more

People who game do not care a lot about power efficiency and typically purchase a gaming laptop with dedicated GPU.
People who occasionally game on their laptop will not care much about a 30% performance increase over competing processors.
That leaves power efficiency as the main attractant. However, I bet $5 OEM's will sacrifice battery size to provide a slimmer, lighter laptop experience and the actual battery will be roughly the same as current generation, leaving nothing noteworthy about this processor release on the table.

Reactions: Marlin1975

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
"The Empire strikes back!"

Wow, wouldn't have thought that Lunar Lake would single-handedly outclass both the Qualcomm Elite X chip as well as AMD latest and greatest mobile chips.
Now, if independent reviews can confirm these numbers that Intel presented, Lunar Lake will be a game-changer for the x86 market.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The article said:
Intel claims ‘historic’ x86 power efficiency, saying it delivers 1.2X more performance-per-watt than the Qualcomm X Elite X1E-80-100.
That's not even their lowest-power 12c model. Which Lunar Lake model did they compare it to?

The article said:
They also beat the AMD Strix Point HX370 by 3% to 33% in single-threaded tasks.
Wow, that's impressive... for AMD!

Seriously, this thing is made on TSMC N3, while Snapdragon X and Strix Point are made on N4 nodes. Is it any surprise it's faster and more efficient? I'd have thought such a node was worth more than that.

Note the position of their M3 datapoint, on this slide:

yi38Ks6RqQy5FwZ2f9Zuh7.png

That's the baseline M3. Not even Pro or anything. It also tells us the M4 is going to kick its butt.

I also thought this slide was interesting:

ief2nLpZnnGP33xRQRjgp7.png

Okay, so the only big win it has in productivity is when they use the QuickSync hardware encoder? I'd pay more attention to the two wins AMD got.

The article said:
Lunar Lake preorders start today, and units start shipping on September 24. If tradition holds, you'll see reviews on that date.
Oh geez. I didn't realize today was a soft launch! I was looking forward to some independent testing!

Last edited:
Why are the slide image of such a poor quality? Can't read any text even when maximized. If so, what's the point to include?
I kindof giggled at the irony when I couldn't read the asterisk disclaimer text on their "The Fastest Cores. Period.*" Slide.

It's like I'm trying to make a snide remark about a blatant marketing contradiction over here, and I can't even properly throw Intel's own words back in their face.
I think something screwed up here when they uploaded them as they're perfectly readable elsewhere: https://wccftech.com/intel-core-ult...p-over-qualcomm-amd-much-better-battery-life/

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user
That's not even their lowest-power 12c model. Which Lunar Lake model did they compare it to?
Best battery life slide compared 288V, X1E-78-100 and 9 HX 370
ik3y333rVxsjqLU2ZMcx4c.png
Battery life myth slide compared 268V and X1E-80-100
qUmHXzPDHwbjfVtTBLELvb.png
Oh geez. I didn't realize today was a soft launch! I was looking forward to some independent testing!
Yeah this is disappointing.

Very much looking forward to seeing how it performs in power limited scenarios (and also the first look at Battlemage).

Last edited:

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador

Just to echo what @thestryker said, you can find all the testing details here:

I noticed they listed power mode settings, which might be interesting to note for both the performance and battery life tests. It's enough work to pick out which data points to look at for which claims that I'm not going to bother.

Sometimes, those details are listed in the end notes, but either they stopped doing that or WccfTech didn't post those slides.

Reactions: thestryker

Bikki

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
The elephant in the room is multi-threaded performance. With only 4p 4e vs 6p 8e on previous core ultra and no SMT, it is sorely lacking. It evident I cant find a single chart for MT benchmark. (Edit: i see 1 chart where it stated +10% at 17w and -6% at 23w.)

The reason for core count regression? Maybe TSMC 3B cost is too high for large die, and Intel itself can't tank losses any longer.

Last edited:

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
>Why are the slide image of such a poor quality? Can't read any text even when maximized. If so, what's the point to include?

THW's slides are low-res. Here's some better ones:

INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200V-LUANR-LAKE-3.jpg
INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200-GRAPHICS-6_videocardz.jpg
INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200-GRAPHICS-7_videocardz.jpg
INTEL-CORE-ULTRA-200-GRAPHICS-1_videocardz.jpg

Last edited:

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Best battery life slide compared 288V, X1E-80-100 and 9 HX 370
ik3y333rVxsjqLU2ZMcx4c.png
Battery life myth slide compared 268V and X1E-80-100
qUmHXzPDHwbjfVtTBLELvb.png

Yeah this is disappointing.

Very much looking forward to seeing how it performs in power limited scenarios (and also the first look at Battlemage).
Bit disingenuous or confusing I would say on that second slide, no longer have the same display or same battery but showing better life for office but worse for Teams... I am glad they included it but the first slide is much better although it would be better if they compared like for like (They have the top bin and I think highest consuming part 288V compared to the lowest end X1E-78). While the second slide seems like more comparable parts (268V vs X1E-80).
Guess I will go check out the disclaimers at the end of the slide deck.

Reactions: thestryker