Intel Launches Xeon E3-1500 v5 Family, Boosts Integrated Graphics, Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
OMFG! How'd they increase the specs so much, while dropping the TDP by so much, on the same node?!? The only explanation given was DDR4, but it can't be the only reason!

Was the TDP on v4 just badly overestimated? I checked the top v5 and v4 SKUs mentioned above, and ark.intel.com agrees with the article. Wow.

BTW, was the "up to 26%" improvement specific to the use case of 4k desktop virtualization? Because if the GPU core count increases by 50%, then I'd hope to see a peak improvement of 50%. But maybe the TDP limit is due to active power management that will throttle the GPU before it can reach those speeds?

I realize this was just announced, but please follow-up and find out more!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
What do you expect? It's Computex. The press releases are flying fast and furious.

Would you rather not hear about any of these announcement until they have samples and time to benchmark them, weeks or months later?

Personally, I'd rather hear their take on the announcements, even if it's mostly info directly from the press release, and then read a follow up with depth, when they have time to dig into the products, properly.

dE_logics

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
What are you going to do with improved graphics performance on servers? We want GPGPU, but what's this??

And only 64 GB ram max?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As the article says, accelerated video encoding and desktop virtualization, including of GPU-enabled apps.

Might be market segmentation, but it might also be issues with the electrical load required to drive more DIMMs @ current density, since the memory is unbuffered. Either way, they'll sell you E5 and E7 Xeons that can host more memory, if you require it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Trolling will get you reported.

You've made your opinion known. We disagree. I suggest you drop it, or maybe start your own blog and write these articles how you think they should look.

BTW, a press release is exactly that. It's a company announcing something they think the news media might be interested in reporting. At the time of the release, there usually aren't any more details available than what the release already contains. So, short of simply not reporting this news until more details or product samples are available, I don't really see how you expect it to be much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.