Intel Launching HD Movie Service With WiDi 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
So in order for people to notice this service intel is going to add more bloatware to new computers? Dam you intel, just stick to making processors!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Intel's only good at one thing: CPU's.

If they start a content delivery system they "Might" catch on but that's a pretty big IF.

There are already enough content systems out there, like FixPlay (free tv), and a bunch of other places which i don't know of because i buy my movies from the store rather than buy them online.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]2real[/nom]what if i own an amd cpu?[/citation]
It won't be able to stream the video fast enough so you will get constant buffering.

Hog wash, the GPU infused is capable of not too much..... just a better basic onboard VGA.....
Basically they'll be (Intel) will be getting royalty for it's GPU so as to do away wit paying royalty t other GPU chip makers..... so it's the same crap just manufacturers changed.....
So now you have a CPU that's going to have it's so called GPU so the load on the CPU is still going to be high.
I really can't understand the point of it, instead of having utilized that space for more ondie memory or more cores and threads they have come up with this bullshit of having an ondie GPU which is basically good enough only for laptops or net tops and the most basic of computing.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Hog wash, the GPU infused is capable of not too much..... just a better basic onboard VGA..... Basically they'll be (Intel) will be getting royalty for it's GPU so as to do away wit paying royalty t other GPU chip makers..... so it's the same crap just manufacturers changed.....So now you have a CPU that's going to have it's so called GPU so the load on the CPU is still going to be high.I really can't understand the point of it, instead of having utilized that space for more ondie memory or more cores and threads they have come up with this bullshit of having an ondie GPU which is basically good enough only for laptops or net tops and the most basic of computing.[/citation]

You fail to realize that the largest segment in the consumer space is laptop and low end desktops...

So yes, this was a very good business choice by Intel. AMD is doing the same exact thing.

Not everyone is like you and I with a need for high end GPUs for gaming or work. We're actually the minority.

Did you know that Intel is currently the largest graphics chip mfg in the world? Intel integrated graphics has about 50% market share across the board with integrated graphics dwarfing the discrete market.

Laptop segment has about 2.5x integrated vs discrete chips.

So again... YES, this is a good move for Intel and it will make the majority of people happier with this product... Business man and grandma do not buy laptops based on graphics power... But htey will bitch and complain when they cant watch a movie because the power isnt there...

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
They already tried the DRM scheme with HDCP (High Definition Content Protection, sounds like HD videos doesn't it?). It was cracked last year, this is probably why Intel wasn't rushing to try and nullify the hack; not because they don't beleive in DRM.

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Why would anyone think Intel can only do CPUs? What about their networking chips? Motherboard chip sets? Centrino? SSDs? RAID controllers? GPUs are maybe the only thing they haven't done well.

Intel knows that high end PCs and servers are not the only target. Putting things like GPU, hardware DRM decryption, hardware codecs, etc. on-die is targeting the tablet and set top box market. Hardware DRM decryption would allow for a much tougher DRM that could still be used with low end hardware. That is, I'm sure, to get the content providers to release digital content earlier. The advantage is that they get content way before other services do. Could work.

Gatorbait

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
WHDI has better features and uses the standard encryption that is already on the HDMI cable. Why re-encrypt with a proprietary version... Plus WHDI will do 1080p without the latency... thus can be used for games as well. Thoughts?

[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Well, thats what happens when you buy subpar parts.[/citation]

...or that is what happens when your processing demands don't meet the Intel budget demands. Why spend more with Intel when you just need to do basics (web, email, music, video, etc..)?

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Hog wash, the GPU infused is capable of not too much..... just a better basic onboard VGA..... Basically they'll be (Intel) will be getting royalty for it's GPU so as to do away wit paying royalty t other GPU chip makers..... so it's the same crap just manufacturers changed.....So now you have a CPU that's going to have it's so called GPU so the load on the CPU is still going to be high.I really can't understand the point of it, instead of having utilized that space for more ondie memory or more cores and threads they have come up with this bullshit of having an ondie GPU which is basically good enough only for laptops or net tops and the most basic of computing.[/citation]

Really dude maybe you should read what toms just posted about this new processor that they are putting out.. sandy bridge can play a blue ray movie without anything more than 10% cpu utilization. me i am running a 1200 dollar Xeon in my desktop which is simular to a core i7 and it used more than 50% to play a blue ray with dts hd so ya thats a pretty big deal i cant wait for the new ones to come out for the extreme market maybe i can get my intel rep to hand one over lol

Status
Not open for further replies.