Intel Lifts i7 to 3.46 GHz, Xeon 5000 to 3.60 GHz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]That's some serious drops there, though with LGA1366 dying soon, you'd have to wonder why anyone will bother.[/citation]

Outside of SB its the fastest thing smoking thats why...

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm no where even close to needing to upgrade my i7 920. If they are targeting this to people needing an upgrade they shouldn't of made the 920 such a kick ass chip.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]stfuyouidiotwankers[/nom]FFS, what a bunch of whiners on this site. Maybe the goal is to offer upgrades to people who've already got LGA1156/LGA1366 boards? I'd wager that half you fucks would be whinging about "OMG INTEL IS MAKING ME BUY A NEW MOBO" if they were solely pushing SB.[/citation]

I miss the comment rating system.:( btw -1

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Well I think it is a good idea of Intel bringing down the prices of their core i7 extreme & other X58 based cpu's...I just wish that I would not of bought those two new core i7 2600k & 2600,because now I ain't got no more spare cash...

G

@ All of the people whining you can overclock SB to match 1366 performance....

DUH! I can also dump Nitros into a Honda Civic to match a stock Corevette. However, how easily can the Corvette be tuned to outperform that little Civic? But keep telling yourselves PROPER overclocking is as easy as changing the voltage...

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I still don't get this whole "raise the clock by 100 mhz and call it something new". It's just a factory overclock that's so minor you're guaranteed to get it on your own, so why would you pay the higher price unless you're daft?

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, after price drop, pricing on some of those Xeons is almost... sane?!?

Pricing on Xeons (which, let's be honest, is really only paying for a couple features) has me buying my first AMD processor in 10 years for a system that needs ECC memory and a decent number of PCIe lanes.

Intel is back to the old game of competing with itself (i.e. trying to keep people on the upgrade treadmill). We need AMD to come back and put up a good fight!

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I've been checking out online stores in my area of the world & none have dropped their prices for the core i7-960@3.2GHz yet...Some have even lifted their prices for the core i7-950@3.06GHz due to the fact that people are buying other chipset mainboards due to the faulty cougar chipset problem that occured...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It has almost been a week later & no price drops...Looks like in Australia we will be in for an expensive year for buying hardware parts...Even the LGA 1156 parts have gone up as well as the LGA 1366 going up also...I think these PC hardware shops like to use the excuse to rip us off every time some problem occurs,like the faulty cougar chipsets...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Maybe not part of this thread,but I will mention it anyway...I went to several stores in the Sydney area of Australia in person...I went to MSY at Auburn & asked what would happen if I bought a faulty cougar chipset P67 mainboard & they said that if there is a fault within the 1 year warranty period that they will take care of it only then...If the fault occurs outside that 1 year period that I could do nothing about it and not even return it for a new one even if Asus or Gigabyte says that they will replace the old faulty one with a new non faulty board...Virtually across the road I went to PC DIY & they said that I could buy a faulty cougar chipset P67 board now & when the non faulty boards come in,I can return the old board & get a new board revision as a replacement there & then or wait longer if I want...How is that,a bigger PC retailer that has got many stores around Australia gives you a hard time while one that is a fifth or less of it's size welcomes you...

valu3hunt3r

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]Only Tri-Core are you noob ? But yeah a 999$ priced CPU and sandy one at 300$ overclocked to 5ghz beat the f*** out of it. If only AMD could have some competition on that side price should drop but otherwise AMD is way back behind. Even bulldozer will never beat sandy i2600k at 5ghz EVER. IF it does i give 1 million dollar to everyone here.[/citation]

Count me in if it does; I expect that to be $1 million dollars in Australian currency (greetz from Aus =) ) post tax =)

valu3hunt3r

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]It has almost been a week later & no price drops...Looks like in Australia we will be in for an expensive year for buying hardware parts...[/citation]

Better off grabbing stuff from the US (use a forwarding service like shipitto, priceusa or something) and importing it. Keep it under 1K regarding import tax and ignore the likes of Gerry Harvey screaming because you didn't (pay thru the nose for it at HN/etc) pay a GST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS