Intel Light Peak Can Transfer Blu-ray in 30 Secs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've always wondered why not more fiber optic connections. Why not have 2 fiber cables and a cooper cable on one plug? (In, Out, and Power)

[citation][nom]gamerjames[/nom]Useless if you are with TimeWarner[/citation]ROFL!

G

Fiberoptics are already used in internet Ring networks all over the world.
They're also used in some Sony Audio & hifi.
It's no surprise they will start using this in computers too.
Just know that the fiber optic cables are very sensitive to nicks.
Bend the cable twice in an angle and you can throw it away, or suffer loss of bandwidth.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
great!!

we can look forward to Monster brand Light Peak cables where it can make the light travel 5 times faster than generic Light Peak cables.....

Zenthar

Distinguished
I wonder if this could be used for inter-device communication, maybe it would now be possible to put video cards in external enclosures with their own PSU and ventilation. Is PCIe 2.0 x16 8GB/s or 8 Gb/s?

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Optic cables that have these speeds have been available for networks for a while. The difference with this technology seems like it must be more in the actual interface with the different hardware, not necessarily the cable itself? Sounds more like a replacement for USB and HDMI, etc.

G

Weve already got 40 Gbps optical cables, and 1Gbps copper cables. So, whats so special about this unless its really cheap...

Meh, call me when its 100Gbps. Or if its as cheap as copper.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I think the real awesome thing is that they hinted to it being really cheap... like a USB cable.

We already have those speeds... and even more... on both copper and optical. If it's cheaper than 1/10th the cost of InfiniBand, CEE and other things already that fast, then I think it'll still be too expensive for consumers. It better be the cost of a USB cable.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
While the interface may be capable of 10Gbs, I doubt any device connected to them will transfer at that rate anytime soon. Although, it's nice to know that, potentially, one could get by with daisy-chaining all their devices with just one cable and still have bandwidth left over to spare.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]great!!we can look forward to Monster brand Light Peak cables where it can make the light travel 5 times faster than generic Light Peak cables.....[/citation]
ROFLMAO

nice one :)

G

"I'm still waiting on my optical processor made entirely out of glass."

Glass? Screw that, we need diamond! It would be a GREAT processor material if we could grow them big and cheap. Lot of progress has been made in that area, but still a ways to go.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]I'm still waiting on my optical processor made entirely out of glass.[/citation]

I'll give you 3 guesses as to what the chip in your computer right now is made of. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.