Intel Looks to Apple for Future Tech Direction

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Sweetness, though I still wish Lightpeak would've remained in Intel's hands alone. Simply because then potentially more product could use that super sweet tech, rather than like MagPort where ONLY a select group of products use it.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]I get it, everybody here is smarter than INTEL. (Smarter than Apple doesn't even count).But, how many employees each of you have? How about your products, production costs, roadmaps, etc. Yes you have big words when you are behind your computers but I doubt any of you have an answer to help build a better world or realistically create the next business model that is going to change the world for better. [/citation]

Steve? Is that you?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Intel has decided to hitch their wagon to a company that has a proven track record in both following and creating technology trends. This is bad how?

We will see if Intel stands to profit from their relationship with Apple. So far, so good. AMD still sits in the wings, and they already have a proven track record with Apple through their graphics division. Who knows what the future will bring?

Apple has also had a long and fruitful relationship with ARM from its inception. The only reason Apple would switch away from ARM processors is if Intel were to offer a low power x86 alternative that is competitive with ARM processors. This may be possible, and it would go a long way to simplify their code base if they didn't have to support an ARM flavor of iOS and an x86 flavor of OS X (Apple did away with the PowerPC version of OS X with the release of 10.6).

To all you Apple-haters out there...you have long been predicting the demise of this company. You have derided them for their "expensive" hardware and their closed-architecture OS. I too spent a number of years swearing at "Macintrashes." But I changed my stripes years ago when I finally realized that Apple created a great development platform with OS X, and the GUI is simple enough my wife has no problems using it to check her email, chat (via Skype and iChat) with her friends and get on facebook to upload pictures and update her profile.

I appreciate not having to clean her machine from the various forms of malware that her previous Windows laptop seemed to collect from her various roamings across the internet (even with AV and anti-spyware). This was at least a monthly occurrence, and no amount of grumbling by me would change her ways. So the next chance I had, I bought her a MacBook and haven't looked back since.

G

You people bag on Apple for making dumbed down Hardware and OS, but anyone that has worked legitimate consumer IT knows that there are a large quantity of people who need a "dumbed down" computer, that has a simple easy interface. Minimal malware. Minimal end-user complexity. Excellent Aesthetics. Macs aren't dumbed down but streamlined at their target market (not you apparently, don't get butthurt). As was said by jecastej, you anti-fanboys are as fanboy as those you hate. How could anyone want something other that what you want? Have you ever tried teaching a Senior Citizen how to properly maintain a finicky windows system made from x-teen brands of components and their s#!tty drivers? some things are best left simple. Not everyone likes/needs the power of the cli. Keep flaunting your ignorance. "the free hand of the market" seems to favor diversity however. So do I, and I don't even currently own a Mac.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Intel is underestimating ARM, because they do perform slower, but ARM performs considerably faster performance per watt!

Once ARM has moved up from the dual core cellphones to quadcore netbooks and tablet systens, it might take over the server market by combining forces with motherboard manufacturers allowing 100 ARM cores to run on a server!
We'd be talking about a 1kW server, compare that to a slightly more powerful 3KW Xeon server (more power per thread, but having less threads)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Seriously. And the price of those?.. MacBooks Pro, however, run middle-grade Sandy Bridge, call it a miracle (IMAO, it IS a miracle - Apple laptop running a not obsolete CPU) and charge $2000 for that. And they used downclocked versions of low-end GPUs (because anything better, and the battery life is reduced to the same of any other laptop... which they want to avoid) until the last few months, and even then, MacBook Pro still has like 256MB VRAM.

And that's not mentioning ridiculous Core 2 Duo in their Air.

So yeah, I did just post that. You, on the other hand, make Mac running a Xeon sound like an achievement (again, true, IMAO!).

halcyon

Splendid
Above someone commented that once Mr. Jobs is gone "Apple will fall apart". Really? I like Apple products and I own enough of them but I couldn't give a fly'n flip whether or not Steve jobs is around or not. Really...I couldn't care less. ...and I doubt if he were to implode and never be seen/heard from ever again that it would make a whole hell of a lot of difference in product design/availability at Apple. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.