Intel Makes a... High Tech Vending Machine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]frye[/nom]Am I the only one who hates the idea of a camera identifying who/what I am when I buy something?[/citation]

I 'thumbsed' this up not only because I also dislike the idea of them building a database relating my tastes to my credit card number to my face, but also because the way you worded it means that everyone who rates you up is saying "yes, you are the only one who hates the idea of being identified".

G

OMG! The conspiracy! Intel put a camera on front. Privacy concerns!? don't use an atm, pull up to a traffic light, hide from google, stay away from skies, don't go to football games, watch out for police cruisers (which some have camera's on top), and for crying out loud, be VERY wary of anyone holding a cell phone up. The camera might be on.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"Contribution to Society" second picture, what the F*ck is that for, a little 1984 if you ask me. Then you have, "Sorry, please wait for the system to reboot." Or, "The application has stopped responding, shut down now?"

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]AMDnoob[/nom]will they make an extreme edition that allows you to tweak how hard it throws the item at you?[/citation]
hahaha..well played sir

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyPre[/nom]OMG! The conspiracy! Intel put a camera on front. Privacy concerns!? don't use an atm, pull up to a traffic light, hide from google, stay away from skies, don't go to football games, watch out for police cruisers (which some have camera's on top), and for crying out loud, be VERY wary of anyone holding a cell phone up. The camera might be on.[/citation]

There's a HUGE difference in most of what you spoke and the camera on this.

If I ever see one of these out and about, I'm gonna find the camera and put a piece of super-sticky tape over it.

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Hahaha That'll show em

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
easy to solve for those that do not want their pic takin while buying something from this. Just walk to it from the side out of the cams view & place duct tape over the camera lens. Problem solved now you can look all you want at what it has got & the machine will be no smarter about you than it was before. LOL

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
This could be useful at airports where they already sell ipods, small electronics, etc. in vending machines. Pretty sure it's not meant for a can of pop.

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
ok, check this out, i have worked for companies where they actually own the vending machines and refill them themselves. a few of these comapnies are also self insured for health benefits. so now you have a vending machine that can use a camera to match who you are to a company database which in turn checks your latest company mandated "health screening" records. The company could block you from buying certain items they deem unhealhty for you.

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]bipolargraph[/nom]That's a nice big LCD screen... All it takes is a kid with a rock...[/citation]
Or a software bug, telling a woman that she's a man that's twice her age. Ouch xD

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Maybe AMD should look at presenting something interesting at Computex.[/citation]

Yeah your right Fusion isnt interesting at all compared to this.

weakerthans4

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]yannifb[/nom]is it just me or does toms have a news story for every single thing intel does? I mean they cant even flinch without toms putting up one of these articles about it.[/citation]

Toms is a website that reports on technology. Your visit to this site means that you have some desire to learn about what's new in the tech world. Intel and AMD create new technology everyday. This article is about a new piece of technology that Intel has released. If you don't want to read the article, then don't click the link. It's not a tough concept to grasp...

And yes, the whole idea of having a vending machine read my face, store that data and tell me what I want creeps me out just a little bit.

delbunk

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Whenever I see vending machines, they are behind metal cages so that vandals can not ruin them. If this is run by a delicate TOUCH screen, then I see it breaking in less than a day.

It might work in less public places, such as in an office.

Status
Not open for further replies.