Intel, Micron First to Triple Level Cell 25nm NAND

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

SLC = ultra fast and simple
MLC with 2 bits/cell = slow, with lots of disadvantages and complicated controllers.
MLC with 3 bits/cell = ???

Super large SSD drives, sure, but will they be slower than today's MLC drives ?

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Relax guys... the TLC technology reduce the write speed and the endurance.
I just read an article:
in 2009 Micron says: TLC is 2 times slower and 10 times less endurance. (I don't know if its compared to SLC or MLC)

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Wow they seem to be pushing SSD tech much harder and faster then they ever did with standard hard drives. This is a good thing but probably does add to the cost some of all SSD's after all got to pay the RnD department! but yea get me a 500GB SSD for 100-150 and then ill accept it as mainstream tech.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Just the design of putting more eggs in one basket by putting 3 bits per cell means each cell will get written to theoretically more. In practice you never write one bit. Not sure if SSD optimization tech does anything for eliminating unnecessary write operations to cells if the cell contains the same value.

I'll keep my wallet closed till we see what this actually does. Intel has in the past been pretty good with SSDs, we'll see how they do this round once hardware is in a tester's hands.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
While slower then MLC, faster than a spinning platter (hopefully). :)
I wonder, when will the next gen of 1.8" and 2.5" of Intel SSD's come out, how much will they cost, and will they be available in SLC, MLC and TLC?
Hopefully in the near future, your OS is on a 256GB SLC, while you have a 2TB TLC for storage, and tape drives for archiving (cheaper than a HDD per GB).
^_^

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation]“With January’s introduction of the industry’s smallest die size at 25nm, quickly followed by the move to 3-bit-per-cell on 25nm, we continue to gain momentum and offer customers a compelling set of leadership products,”[/citation]
said Tom Rampone, in an attempt to win the award for putting the most words into a sentence, while conveying the least possible information...

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Why haven't they came out with a 3.5" form factor drive in masse? It would seen that it would be the most cost effective for price /performance, unless its just cheaper to mass produce the 2.5's?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]Relax guys... the TLC technology reduce the write speed and the endurance.I just read an article:in 2009 Micron says: TLC is 2 times slower and 10 times less endurance. (I don't know if its compared to SLC or MLC)[/citation]
I expected as much. This means its good for flash drives/cards and internal storage for smart phones and similar devices. Probably not targeted for SSDs at all though it may be developed into something competitive for that market.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Ulrik Lunddahl[/nom]SLC = ultra fast and simpleMLC with 2 bits/cell = slow, with lots of disadvantages and complicated controllers.MLC with 3 bits/cell = ???Super large SSD drives, sure, but will they be slower than today's MLC drives ?[/citation]
Profit!!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Actually, depending on size and how cheap they are, they could be great for archiving and remove the one thing that's keeping mag drives in the game.
If given the choice between a mag drive and an SSD of the same size and nearly the same price, I would opt for the SSD and know that it will be more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.