Intel, Micron Introduce 25nm Flash Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I hope this is what we need to drive down prices of the current gen SSD's. I can only imagine the impact it will have on the new smart phones too, no more BS, give us 32gb on smartphones as standard!

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]boxbabax[/nom]I hope this is what we need to drive down prices of the current gen SSD's. I can only imagine the impact it will have on the new smart phones too, no more BS, give us 32gb on smartphones as standard![/citation]

That's exactly what I was thinking. Hooray for Intel and Micron!

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I feel like its only fair to point out that there are fewer typos and grammatical errors on Tom's lately. Not that articles should be judged by those factors but since they seem to be here: good job lately, Tom's writers!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
If this creates a 50% drop in SSD's across the board who adopt the 25nm chips I will definitely consider upgrading my hard drives.

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
on a different site (not sure if im allowed to post name) they said "Objective Analysis notes the manufacturing cost of the 25nm chips will be approximately $.50 per gigabyte. This is a substantial decrease from the estimated $1.75 per gigabyte cost of 45nm flash."

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
hello new flashdrive. i could use both the space, speed, and price improvement. now all i need is for USB 3.0 to go into mass circulation, but that wont happen for some time.

viewwin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I have a feeling prices will not drop that fast for a few months after introduction. Way to much demand out there vs supply.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]dafin0[/nom]on a different site (not sure if im allowed to post name) they said "Objective Analysis notes the manufacturing cost of the 25nm chips will be approximately $.50 per gigabyte. This is a substantial decrease from the estimated $1.75 per gigabyte cost of 45nm flash."[/citation]

Although much cheaper, I think the 1.75 per GB is the retail price, not manufacturing cost, which could be difficult, I still expect prices to be somewhat high, although any advancement or price reduction is a good start!

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Technically speaking, this cuts the factory costs about half! I hope one day they will compete prices with hard drives, so I can get myself an SSD.

G

As much as I would like for this 25nm manufacturing process to bring down SSDs, it's not gonna happen any time soon. Intel will be milking the 32nm flash chips for as much as they can before releasing the 25nm flash chips to retail.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Just because its cheaper for them per wafer, doesn't mean cheaper for consumers. It simply means more profits for Intel, especially if this new product is faster than the old ones, it will demand a premium higher price.

G-Systems

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]hello new flashdrive. i could use both the space, speed, and price improvement. now all i need is for USB 3.0 to go into mass circulation, but that wont happen for some time.[/citation]

Flash drive? No no... Not flash drive, sir/ma'am--Main drive. I could care less about a faster flash drive. If my installation of Windows 7 can run ten times as fast (since EVERYTHING would essentially feel as if it's running in RAM), I could plug up a mechanical drive for back-up through USB 3.0 :)...

Not dissing you at all...just elaborating on the true benefits...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
So for flash drives to really hit a cheaper price they would need to be what 8nm ? 25nm is getting pretty small and they still are going to cost a decent amount for anything even close to a 1TB drive... (I like the advantage of flash drives but OEM's are not going to pack them in a machine until they can get them for about the same price, maybe a little less capacity but 128GB's is pretty small for a computer)

Don't get me wrong this is great news and its awesome for Intel and Micron to be doing this!!! Congrats!!!

I still think the best place for this would be some custom version of Windows that will just use the flash drive to boot and for swap. That way something like 64GB's would be plenty of space. Then you could have your 1TB cheap drive for media files and game installs (although it would be nice if the OS also cached some of those files so your programs load faster like a version of Ready Boost hmmm maybe it could partition the drive to use what ever for swap and OS then load as many of your most used programs on the flash drive, again like Ready Boost lol)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]I remember once reading an article saying that we will never reach 40nm on silicon because of the physical limits.Awesome.[/citation]

On this page it mentions something about a gate length of 5nm.... thats crazy lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_nanometer

I think I remember reading about that too but I think they where talking about a lithography limit when they where talking about 40nm (At least thats the first though that jumps into my mind it could be complete BS but it could be right too lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS