Intel: No, We're Not Using Arm To Create CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"I think we can do a better."

This is a huge hint: They more than likely got something big cooking up and obviously they aren't gonna give away what they are doing.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Intel is an unstoppable force in the CPU industry. Just give it a couple years and they will be the dominant player in whatever they are pursuing (in this case, phones and tablets).

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hmmm I don't know how this will work considering every other smart phone has ARM. All programs would have to be ported to x86 and I'm not sure how willing people will be to do that.

But then again...if they were powerful enough to run full x86 OSes that would be a major win.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]But then again...if they were powerful enough to run full x86 OSes that would be a major win.[/citation]
meh. desktop software on tablets or even phones is pretty much useless.

All I've heard from embedded systems people at my uni is that x86 is bloated and only survives because of compatibility and RISC is the way to go....
"simpler is faster" or something along those lines. Makes sense to me - but I don't know what Intel knows :)

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
[citation][nom]oneblackened[/nom]^Modern x86 processors are quite RISC like internally.[/citation]
I agree. Remember how seamless it was to port OSX to x86 it will be a non-issue for Android. All Smartphone Apps are running in a higher level language like Java so they will not need to be ported to run on a x86 devise since all the low level interaction happens transparently in the OS, they are practically virtual machines.
Plus Intel can now reach current Power requirements with Medfield. But the Trigate will cut power in half, now add the power savings of 22nm process on top of that, and next generation Architecture, there is going to be no comparison. Intel's Atoms will be half the power of ARM by then with 4x instructions per clock per core. Only draw back is I can see, is cost to manufacture and getting good yield rates from the new trigate process.

I believe AMD will be able to compete with Fusion to some limited degree as well with ARM but not like Intel will with their process advantage.

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
i would much rather see GPGPU (or APU?) architectures with equivalent three dimensions to tri gate. that would be interesting, because i can remember reading that GPUs have the potential to be better than CPUs

G

"Intel is an unstoppable force in the CPU industry. Just give it a couple years and they will be the dominant player in whatever they are pursuing (in this case, phones and tablets)."

Yeah, like graphics, HPC, those lovely Itanium chips... Chipzilla never fails...

/sarcasm

You're clearly misinformed. 3.5w for a non-SOC is not within striking distance of ARM. They still need additional silicon for the rest of the phone to function, and that draws power. 5w total vs. 1 to 2w is not even close, it's still 2-4 times the power and heat, and 1/2 to 1/4 the battery life. Intel isn't offering anything that ARM doesn't, and contrary to what Intel marketing is trying get you to believe, they aren't offering superior performance. ARM can easily add more cores and higher clocks, Intel can't.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Ok so they have the license but want to compete? lol funny. Sometimes I think even the CEOs don't know each other in the same company : )

ah w/e had me goin there for a while. "I am going to get an ARM" but I guess i'm getting a LEG instead... or a BOOT.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]Hmmm I don't know how this will work considering every other smart phone has ARM. All programs would have to be ported to x86 and I'm not sure how willing people will be to do that.But then again...if they were powerful enough to run full x86 OSes that would be a major win.[/citation]

This is where windows phone 8 comes into play, is my prediction.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]This is where windows phone 8 comes into play, is my prediction.[/citation]
intel will create their own power efficient cpu for the mobile market....it would be better if they went with nvidia :)

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
can you imagine that 3d transistor build, at a 22nm process for an ARM chip?

We'd be talking about days of battery life, netbooks with e-ink or reflective screen getting upto weeks of battery life out of a 6cell 6600mAh battery!

Intel may not pay ARM royalties, but it would not surprise me if they finally get enough of roughing up the x86 technology for more performance per watt, and start re-inventing the processor!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This is a good turn in my book, using the same instruction set would allow a lot of opportunity's between hand held devices and desktop computers. Why just sync some data and have a separate piece of software on both when you can sync the entire program with it or better run it directly from the other device without using desktop control ect. Now where are those api's needed... Hmm win8 / wp8 maby!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]i would much rather see GPGPU (or APU?) architectures with equivalent three dimensions to tri gate. that would be interesting, because i can remember reading that GPUs have the potential to be better than CPUs[/citation]
Terminology is not knowledge. Why not just say, "i would much rather see the latest technoterms and acronyms or something which have the potential to be better than stuff now or something."

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]they are practically virtual machines.[/citation]

Java will run on anything people, it's effortless to run it on ARM or x86.

OSX on x86... there were motherboards back in 2000 with an intel and risc processor co-existing on the same board for development and testing. It didn't happen overnight.

As far as Intel dominating, it could happen simply because if you go out on the street and ask people "What is Intel?" and "What is ARM?". Just like now asking people what is the iphone and what is android? It doesn't matter what tech is better unfortunately, but who ya know, and who knows you.

I used iphone and android as an example here but im not saying one is better than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS