Intel NUC i5-8259U as Home Computer Replacement

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
I am considering building an Intel BOXNUC8i5BEH1 Bean Canyon or similar NUC to use in place of my large, aging desktop system. Space is at a premium and the latest NUCs seem like excellent values while being small and easily portable. I think I could take my "completed" NUC build, connect it to someone else's monitor and peripherals and feel as if I am on my home computer.

The NUC with the i5-8259U processor seems like a great platform and a good value. I want the version where I can add my own memory, drives, etc. I am not a gamer. The most taxing thing I do with my computer is to occasionally burn my CDs to FLAC so I can play them in the car or have several browser windows open while on Outlook.

I am a novice. Am I missing something about the NUCs? Am I right thinking that they can they be used in place of desktop systems with the correct added hardware?

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially on what components to add [memory, SSD, NVMe, etc.] and how I would add external drives and other peripherals.

Thanks!

P.S. I should also add that I have a retail Win 10 Pro license so that is an expense I wouldn't have.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
The NUC is a nice small form factor and does pack a powerful punch. It is more than enough for your usage.

The biggest drawback is the lack of expansion and graphics.
You will find that you will need an external DVD as you can't have an internal drive.

You are restricted to just one m2 and one 2.5" hdd.

You are probably better off looking at a laptop.

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Here's the issue. I already have a cheap laptop that works when I need true mobility. I am not comfortable running around with all my sensitive information, so I use it mostly for entertainment and web browsing. I have two sick parents. My idea is that when I have to go to their house for an extended stay, if I pack my NUC with it's built in M2 and one 500Gb SSD, I can plug it in to their monitor, keyboard and mouse and feel like I am home. Does that make sense? If it does, at home where I have my backup drive, etc., how would I connect it along with my phone, or my camera? Can I use a USB 3.0 hub? Also, how does Thunderbolt work? Would that be helpful to me if I do this? Considering the "tall" model comes with an 8th generation Intel i5-8259U processor and a motherboard for under $400, it seems like a compelling deal as long as long as I can feel at home with it when I am home.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
yes it will work.

Note that the NUC will not be any more secure than your laptop.

You will need some sort of hub depending on how many peripherals you will need as USB ports are at a premium.

Provided you don't need any high end GPU, the system can do what you need.

Think of thunderbolt as a better USB, you will need some sort of docking/hub that will convert the TB port into multiple USB and display ports.

I presume your phone would connect as it currently does.

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Thank you! I don't need a GPU [no gaming] and when I say portable, I mean as in moving from one apartment to another apartment for an extended period of time. I understand until the NUC is connected to power, monitor, and hub [peripherals] it will do nothing. I like the idea, though, that if I have to go elsewhere for a week on short notice, I can disconnect it from my home set-up and then reconnect it elsewhere and use the same computer I use at home. For a vacation or overnight, I would just use my laptop.

Any thoughts on my hub options? I have three or four smaller, mostly empty [250 GB] drives that have backups of my legal/financial docs, movies, music, family pics, etc. I would like to consolidate and transfer everything to one external 512 GB SSD, in addition to cloud backups. I don't need all the drives connected at once and have an external dock that I can use. My goal is to go all SSD, both internal and external.

I appreciate all the help. There doesn't seem to be too much out there regarding the use of NUCs as home PC replacements, but for use in small spaces for people who don't do anything GPU intensive, it seems like the NUC could be a good option. All the advice is much appreciated.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
your other option is a MAC mini.

Most people would use a laptop (which you can plug into external monitor and keyboard)

Looking at your box Intel BOXNUC8i5BEH1.

You have 6 USB ports, so you probably don't need any hub.

Your monitor should connect via HDMI or usb-c.

You should be ably to get away with a USB-C to monitor adapter (DP or DVI) if you can't use the HDMI

For what its worth, I personally use a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express dock, model F4U095.