Intel on Schedule for Mass Production 14nm Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
we already have ivy bridge down to 35 watts, supposedly haswell with have 35watt options to, i wonder how low tdp will be for 14nm... probably have to consider upgrading the htpc with the new low poewer chip at that point the 45 watt amd single core sempteron i have now for low heat output/power consumption is showing its age

G

You're so desktop g00fy. Think mobile. 14nm gets them into subwatt in some instances for ATOM perhaps. It probably takes Broadwell into the tablet market completely with 7 TDP/3 SDP parts. It also probably gives it a possible landing spot in high end phones as well and finally allows Intel to put ATOM completely into phone with 1 to 2 watt parts with at least 4 cores, baseband functionality, and out of order execution. I don't think anybody is thinking about desktops for this stuff. Who cares if our desktop is 25 watt instead of 35 watt? People tend to want to push the envelope in those markets so I expect it to do little for the desktop market. I doubt we'll be able to overclock to 8 GHz comfortably as they will have crazy throttling limits.

G

Aren't we hitting a physical limit.. like very soonish after this? Unless intel finds a way to compress atoms of course... or tell an atom itself to work as a transistor.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]squidward[/nom]Aren't we hitting a physical limit.. like very soonish after this? Unless intel finds a way to compress atoms of course... or tell an atom itself to work as a transistor.[/citation]

We can always start stacking processors in a 3d manor

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
There is going to come a time when how many MM the process is for the chips won't matter and we are getting close. So my question is, When are the nano tube or fiber optic nano tube processors going to come out? I am not going to care that we hit 2mm in 5 years now, whats the next step.....

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Good for Intel. I love progress. Hopefully (dreaming, I know) this will force down the price of Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge, but I'm not holding my breath.[/citation]
Va a ser que no. translated: will be no... ;)

[citation][nom]TruthEater[/nom]You're so desktop g00fy. Think mobile. 14nm gets them into subwatt in some instances for ATOM perhaps. It probably takes Broadwell into the tablet market completely with 7 TDP/3 SDP parts. It also probably gives it a possible landing spot in high end phones as well and finally allows Intel to put ATOM completely into phone with 1 to 2 watt parts with at least 4 cores, baseband functionality, and out of order execution. I don't think anybody is thinking about desktops for this stuff. Who cares if our desktop is 25 watt instead of 35 watt? People tend to want to push the envelope in those markets so I expect it to do little for the desktop market. I doubt we'll be able to overclock to 8 GHz comfortably as they will have crazy throttling limits.[/citation]

I agree: mobile is where this move makes sense. Take into account that intel is keeping the 14nm node "in time" (-> the original tic-toc cadence) while they are alredy some months behind schedule for Haswell...

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]squidward[/nom]Aren't we hitting a physical limit.. like very soonish after this? Unless intel finds a way to compress atoms of course... or tell an atom itself to work as a transistor.[/citation]
@~9nm. So two more steps; 14nm 11nm 9nm ..?

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Samsung is also on the way with 14nm FinFET processor. Reportedly according to some sources also heading into mass production in late 2013 (this year). So I wonder who will be the first to actually come out with a working production processor in a real product.

liteup23

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Samsung is also on the way with 14nm FinFET processor. Reportedly according to some sources also heading into mass production in late 2013 (this year). So I wonder who will be the first to actually come out with a working production processor in a real product.[/citation]

Right after sammy moves from their current 32nm node. So unless they're skipping a node and going straight for 14nm (nearly impossible), then I don't see Samsung coming out with 14nm before 2015 at the earliest.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Good for Intel. I love progress. Hopefully (dreaming, I know) this will force down the price of Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge, but I'm not holding my breath.[/citation]

intel doesn't believe in price reduction of older technology.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]N.Broekhuijsen[/nom]Thanks! I've corrected it![/citation]
Wait what?? Not only did a member of the Tom's News team respond to a comment, he also corrected a mistake? This is a rare occurrence indeed. I want to personally thank you sir, your forging new ground for the journalistic standards of these news articles.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Wait what?? Not only did a member of the Tom's News team respond to a comment, he also corrected a mistake? This is a rare occurrence indeed. I want to personally thank you sir, your forging new ground for the journalistic standards of these news articles.[/citation]
yeah, this is the second article of his i've read, AND THEY ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE.

Thank you Niels, you have no idea what we've been suffering...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]We can always start stacking processors in a 3d manor[/citation]

Yeah we are getting close to the theoretical physical limit you can make a wire go down to before any amount of electrical current just jumps between circuts. i beleive the theoretical limit is like 7 or 8 nm any smaller and they will have to start spacing chips out to keep current from jumping wires and shorting the chip . in this regard i don't think 3d layering of cpu's would work , simply because of the heat dissipation issue.

honestly i think they will likely discover new technologies to push the nm size down as it becomes an issue. so far they've been managing hell no one ten years ago thought they'd bet getting down to 14 nm by now.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]intel doesn't believe in price reduction of older technology.[/citation]
Intel is already ramping down production for Sandy Bridge CPUs. The last order date for most SKUs is within weeks from now with the last production and ship dates a few months further down the road. Any chips left on the market beyond that will come out of distributors' inventory, beyond Intel's ability to change prices. Distributors/vendors simply charge whatever they can get away with to people who are desperate to keep old builds alive or are too lazy to do the math and find out it is cheaper (or much more beneficial) to upgrade than fix.

If you want to buy a long-discontinued new-in-box Core2Duo/Quad from official channels, most vendors still charge the full retail price from back when those chips were new... I originally paid $240 for my E8400 and it is still listed at ~$220 on the few authorized Intel vendors that still have some in stock.

While the prices may not be going down much anymore, at least the performance/price and features/price ratios are still improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.