Intel Optane or clone OS to SSD?

Apr 10, 2018
So I recently got a great deal on a gaming PC with an 8th gen intel i5 8400 cpu. The only problem is the OS is installed on a 1TB HDD. I was looking at purchasing a small SSD but I read cloning your OS and moving it over to an SSD can be a nightmare.

Would it be easier in this case to try the Intel Optane memory? I really only want basic programs (not games) to boot up a little quicker and it is a cheaper option than a good SSD. I have all my games on another 500GB SSD so thats not really part of the equation here. (I know its kind of an ass backwards setup but the price to performance ratio on this thing is amazing.)

So what should I do? Purchase an SSD and try to clone my OS or try the Optane Memory? I have confirmed my Mobo is compatible.

Thanks!

Solution
Tried, tested, proven steps for a successful clone operation

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the...

USAFRet

Titan

Do you want "easier", or do you want "better"?
(I much prefer the SSD vs the Optane)

Cloning...
How much space is consumed on your current 1TB drive?
What OS is this?
What size SSD are you considering?

USAFRet

Titan
Tried, tested, proven steps for a successful clone operation

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution
Apr 10, 2018

Hi thanks for the feedback. It is Windows 10 and there isn't much space taken up on the HDD since all of my games are on a separate SSD. I could easily fit the OS even on a 250GB SSD. I should have clarified in the title I didn't mean an Optane SSD I meant the Intel Optane M.2 2280 32GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 Memory Module. (I think you got that but i just wanted to clarify.)

I have read cloning your OS and moving it can be risky. I absolutely do not want to have to buy another windows 10 license that's the main thing here. Haha. That memory module seems like it was made exactly for my situation, but I have never used one and have no idea how they perform vs a standard SSD.

Again I appreciate your feedback!

Apr 10, 2018

I should have clarified i meant the Intel Optane M.2 2280 32GB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x2 Memory Module not an Optane SSD. I have never used one but it seems safer than trying to clone/migrate my OS to an SSD. I just dont want something to get corrupted and I have to buy another windows 10 licence. I have never used one of these modules in the M.2 slot though so I have no idea how it compares to a standard sata SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

Cloning, if done correctly, is fine.
The steps I listed above are tested and verified. I've talked dozens, possibly hundreds of people in here through that.

DO it as above, and it won't corrupt anything.

The little Optane M.2 SSD is still silly priced and pathetically too small...

500 gb 960 EVOs are about $220...

250 gb 960 EVOs are $119....
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523569963&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+960+evo+250gb

Pass on Optane, unless you intend to use it as a cache drive with 1-2 TB of writes per day....

Feb 10, 2019

Hi, I've see your advice above on a few posts here. I signed up just to reply. I saved your advice as I went to add an SSD to my new laptop. Below are the specs:

Lenovo Legion Y530
i7-8750H
16GB RAM
1TB HDD with 16GB Intel Optane memory module
Trying to install Samsung 500GB 970 EVO NVMe M.2
I've linked images of the drives below.

My goal is to migrate the OS to the EVO but keep the HDD for photo backup and such.

Steps I have taken: 1. Downloaded the Samsung Data Migration and Magician tools
2. Removed the Optane memory module to learn that the computer would then no longer boot.
3. Put the Optane module back in, booted up, and here I am.

Really not sure of the next step. This is the first time I have attempted to migrate storage drives and I thought it'd be easy until I discovered the Optane module. There is also a Lenovo D: drive of 25GB listed on this machine in addition to the C: drive.

I have not backed up my current boot drive as I thought I could just migrate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FcfyiJ67Nf0le3rCe-QUqtqzXMNUDijp/view?usp=sharing

USAFRet

Titan

Hi.
Please start a new thread on this situation, and PM me the link.
This thread is old and already solved. Other people are not likely to wander in here with procedural suggestions.

This is a non-common swap, and will require much exercising of the little grey cells...:pt1cable:

But however we proceed, make a full backup, just in case things go weird.