Intel Optane SSD 905P Appears Online: M.2, LEDs And A New Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

Yes, it's expensive. OK, it's really expensive, but the performance is not average. Look beyond the marketing data that the NAND SSD manufactures want you to think is important. If you look at data that really matters (i.e. ignore every piece of data with queue depths > 2 and sequential-only workloads that don't exist in the consumer space), the performance is incredible.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Still way overpriced. I doubt that the average consumer would even notice a performance difference. It would be too expensive at 1/2 the current prices and only worth considering when the prices drop 75%+

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
WOW: Bigger fatter more power and flashing lights. Intel will sell 100 or 200 of these by the end of the year.... 500 Maybe. I am literally embarrassed for Intel NSG group.

its meant for the consumer who wants to spend a lot of money for minimal impact

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
You guys really need to get an Optane drive even if it's one of the lower ones. The technology is legit. It's not the same as going to a SSD from a HDD but it's still a step beyond flash.

It's expensive because the die is only 16GB, 1/4 that of new 512Gbit (64GB) die flash coming online now. In time prices will come down but it will never have price parity with flash.

I just hope Intel increases the sequential performance with this release. For some it's just a number that doesn't have an impact on real world performance and to others it's the end-all be-all measurement of a drive's abilities.

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
So Chris, there is a significant difference running MS Office between this and a Samsung 960? It costs 4x more so I assume everything actually runs in 4x less time :) ... Intel isn't shipping any cost reductions anytime soon ... the price of NAND is dropping much faster than the price of Optane.

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
Chris: I believe Toms own data shows it is less than 2% faster in ALL real world applications (Gaming, photoshop, Office). Correct?

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013
I would love that Chris! I am just going off of the actual reports from Toms Hardware. make sure you compare a 960 pro with optane 900. my stop watch analysis on boot times, gaming, program load times, Office Apps matched Toms original report showing minimal difference in applications (<2%) but measurable difference in benchmarks

emv

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2013

did we test this out? how would this be different than the reviews showing less than 2% difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.