Intel or AMD build for home hosted linux minecraft server?

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018
I am building a home hosted linux minecraft server to learn more about CentOS and the linux commandline as well as host a minecrfat server to enjoy minigames with my friends. I have been building pc's for years and years and decided to build and compare 2 different builds. these are the 2 builds:

Build A (Intel): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/OfficialBinary/saved/2HLcYJ

Build B (AMD Ryzen): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/OfficialBinary/saved/PbZcYJ

I need opinions about which offers more performance, if the different is so small that the cheaper is better, and if any parts could be altered (besides case) to get a better deal or even better performance (without going over $600)?

Please Note: I don't plan on overclocking but if it would make a big difference in hosting a minecraft server ill surely go for it (though i dont think that would offer any real benefit).

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018

Do you think the Ryzen 1600 even needs an aio cooler or is the wraith cooler fine? Never used the ryzen stock cooler so im not sure.

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you go with the AMD system you will need a GPU but you can get a cheap one as it is only a server.
the intel system has a IGPU on the CPU that will work fine the CPU is faster that the AMD ryzen5-1600 in single-core speed but not by much.
if you have a GPU on hand go with the AMD it dos better in multi-core stuff

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

if you don't OC it the stock cooler is good

And The R5-1600 does require a discrete graphics card, the I5-8400 supports integrated graphics.

The stock cooler is OK if you aren't planning on overclocking. It will be loud though. A Cooler Master 212 Evo would be an improvement over the stock in my opinion. But the Corsair - H55 would work as well.

I believe Minecraft servers traditionally only utilized a single thread. It sounds like multi-threading capabilities were added in some capacity at some point, though I'm not sure how many threads will get optimally used. I suspect that the server software might still be limited by per-core performance more than anything though, and I doubt the extra threads of the 1600 would get properly utilized. You might not even see any real benefit from going with a six-core processor over a quad-core. I would ask around at a site specifically for Minecraft server software about what kind of hardware they would recommend for it.

Also, having a single stick of DDR4-2400 in a Ryzen system will likely hurt its performance. Ideally, you should have two sticks of faster RAM to get the best performance out of the processor. I'm also not sure how much RAM a minecraft server requires, but 16GB seems like it might be a bit higher than necessary. Again, I would ask at a site specializing in such software.

You wouldn't need an alternate cooler for the 1600 either, as even the stock cooler can handle a fair amount of overclocking. And the 8400 can't be overclocked. Even if you decided to replace the cooler to make it a bit quieter under load, I wouldn't go with a single-fan water cooler, as they won't perform any better than a less-expensive tower cooler, generally make more noise due to the addition of a pump, and tend to be less reliable. About the only good reason to go with a single fan water cooler would be if you were in a very small case that made it difficult to fit a tower cooler.

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018
well this was all very helpful, i have a GT710 hardly used lying around somewhere so i will probably swap the h55 on the ryzen build and get an air cooler, maybe the Cryorig H7 or H5. Then ill look into getting x2 8gb ram sticks but i honestly might not change because i plan on filling it with 64gb of ram total sometime in the future to accommodate a bungeecord network minecraft server. I guess i could always grab the x2 8gb for now and get the sinlge sticks of 16 when i need them. Idk but this was very helpful, thank you all for your help!