News Intel outlines a plan to get back in the game — pause fab projects in Europe, make the foundry unit an independent subsidiary, and streamline the x...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
Intel's revenue is better than AMD's, it makes more money than most the companies. The only problem Intel has now is to invest heavily, because the foundry, but the investment is not lost, these investment values will be able to recover when Intel uses its foundry to make the chips for itself and for customers.
Their revenue is higher than AMD’s but their costs are a multiple of AMD’s costs.

Reactions: bit_user
Is it, cause if you want IFS & Intel to survive, the best option is to spin it off and let it acquire it's own financing.
Intel Design can still contract out manufacturing to IFS, just like AMD did with GloFo.
IFS can finally make the TSMC promise and have ZERO Conflicts of Interest for all it's customers.
Really bad example; GloFo gave up on leading-edge nodes because of the expense; they simply can not raise enough cash to justify attempting to create a competing node that may or may not be successful and attract customers.

Financing will only show up if there is a financial gain at the end of the tunnel, and with Samsung and TSMCs dominance in the sector, it's highly unlikely anyone will be raising the Billions required to develop a competing node.

To me, this stinks of Intel preparing to spin their foundry off as an independent entity. The only real question is who will step in and keep it alive.

Really bad example; GloFo gave up on leading-edge nodes because of the expense; they simply can not raise enough cash to justify attempting to create a competing node that may or may not be successful and attract customers.

Financing will only show up if there is a financial gain at the end of the tunnel, and with Samsung and TSMCs dominance in the sector, it's highly unlikely anyone will be raising the Billions required to develop a competing node.

To me, this stinks of Intel preparing to spin their foundry off as an independent entity. The only real question is who will step in and keep it alive.
The only ones would do it and make it a viable bleeding edge company would be a collation of the big tech companies. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon who both need enormous amounts of silicon but are also smart enough to know that sourcing all your chips from a single vendor (TSMC) will at best result in them getting ripped off with monopoly tier pricing.

Unfortunately its more likely Wall Street Vulture investors will show up and run a scam to loot the company for whatever assets it still has and load it up with unpayable debt.

Reactions: thestryker

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Pat stated he wants to make it a "Independent Subsidiary".

That's just shuffling the decks, as long as they are under the same ownership, nothing about IFS can be trusted.

If they want to compete with TSMC at the highest level, it must become 100% Fully Spun Off, just like "GlobalFoundries" was spun off when AMD sold them outright.

If they're in the Corporate Ownership chain, no matter if it's vertical, horizontal, Tree Style, etc,...
there can be 0% trust from the vast majority of clients to IFS.

The chances of IFS leaking info to the design team is too great and it's not the same level of seperation that TSMC has proven to abide by.

The ONLY practical way for IFS to succeed as a Contract Manufacturer is to follow TSMC and become a Manufacturing ONLY company and have ZERO Design teams to compete with ANY customers.

As long as their is a chip design team within the ownership structure, there can NEVER / EVER be any trust between most commercial partners and IFS / Intel.

If it where a wholly owned subsidiary, I would agree. However, one of the talking points was they plan to allow outside investment. I'm sure Intel will keep a controlling stake, but in the public company world, interfering with investments by pushing your own agenda will lead to lawsuit hell. Could it happen? sure, but it would be a large risk for intel to "leak" information up the chain when they could get crushed by subsidiary investors. Not to mention this is the first step to making it like TSMC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/16/int...eighs-outside-funding.html?&qsearchterm=intel

BTW TSMC DOES have design teams, they are just contract to hire. TSMC does not sell it's own "chips" (or at least I'm not aware of that aspect).

https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/design-center-alliance

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
Intel's revenue is better than AMD's, it makes more money than most the companies. The only problem Intel has now is to invest heavily, because the foundry, but the investment is not lost, these investment values will be able to recover when Intel uses its foundry to make the chips for itself and for customers.
That's not Intel's only problem; they have many. Also, having higher revenue doesn't paint the full picture as they have to have higher revenue since they have higher fixed costs and capital investment costs; for this reason, at least for a few quarters now, AMD has had better margins (and better consistency that last several quarters, interestingly).

I'm actually feeling a little more optimistic towards Intel after this news. Indeed, they were already partners with AWS and had them as customers, so it's probably not a big jump in revenue for Intel but just provides some assurance in their survivability when big deals like this are inked. Pat's vision and the company's execution of all the changes is still being realized. A lot really does hinge on 18A.

I would also actually applaud them for having a more cautious and business-responsible approach to jumping onto the AI bandwagon, although this is also showing as a slight weakness as they aren't reaping the cash benefits before the crash happens while AMD and nVidia harness the lucrative opportunity.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
If it where a wholly owned subsidiary, I would agree. However, one of the talking points was they plan to allow outside investment. I'm sure Intel will keep a controlling stake, but in the public company world, interfering with investments by pushing your own agenda will lead to lawsuit hell. Could it happen? sure, but it would be a large risk for intel to "leak" information up the chain when they could get crushed by subsidiary investors. Not to mention this is the first step to making it like TSMC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/09/16/int...eighs-outside-funding.html?&qsearchterm=intel
I'd be more comfortable if Intel just ripped off the Band-Aid and sold IFS off into it's own independent company and just contracted out it's chip manufacturing to them, just like AMD did with GloFo.

Put in a smart team who will invest in R&D, proper Fab management, get smart Investors who understand the Semi-Conductor Industry.

Intel needs to bring in ALL of it's manufacturing of chips into IFS, no more out-sourcing, no matter how late the Process Node is.

If Intel has to use one of their older nodes to keep fab capacity filled, so be it.

BTW TSMC DOES have design teams, they are just contract to hire. TSMC does not sell it's own "chips" (or at least I'm not aware of that aspect).

https://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/design-center-alliance
That's why TSMC has been the "Gold Standard".

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I'd be more comfortable if Intel just ripped off the Band-Aid and sold IFS off into it's own independent company and just contracted out it's chip manufacturing to them, just like AMD did with GloFo.
I think the issue is Intel would take a massive loss in that scenario, which is where I believe you are correct in that Intel is playing the Wall St. game with the maneuver. I don't think they want to do what is essentially a sale at the bottom, and are hoping that by getting outside investments they can later spin it off for a gain without having to put all the money in themselves to take that gamble.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I think the issue is Intel would take a massive loss in that scenario, which is where I believe you are correct in that Intel is playing the Wall St. game with the maneuver. I don't think they want to do what is essentially a sale at the bottom, and are hoping that by getting outside investments they can later spin it off for a gain without having to put all the money in themselves to take that gamble.
They had plenty of years in the past to spin it off, the fact that it's taking them this long to decide to go down this route is baffling.

Reactions: JamesJones44

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
I think the AMD/Global Foundries case is a textbook example of how this could go wrong. Global Foundries never delivered a competitive node for AMD until after many years of Intel stagnation. Almost as soon as Global Foundries pulled that off and AMD had returned to profitability, Global Foundries gave up on bleeding edge.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-outlines-a-plan-to-get-back-in-the-game-—-pause-fab-projects-in-europe-make-the-foundry-unit-an-independent-subsidiary-and-streamline-the-x.3855470/post-23339441

When the Intel 10nm/10SF/10ESF/7 node fell way behind, Intel tried to fast-track Intel 4/3. That also didn't work so Intel tried to fast-track Intel 20A/18A. Intel claims that this is working. Assuming that last claim is true, then Intel 4/3 is potentially in a really awkward position. If 20A/18A and 4/3 are only a year apart, then they're probably competing for resources, and Intel 3 isn't rolling out to the whole product stack because 20A/18A is stealing its attention. When Intel was delivering faster, there was still 2 whole years between major nodes. This is probably a big part of why TSMC is making many of Intel's consumer tiles, because the many foundries are being converted to 20A/18A and can't produce production chips in the meantime.

When the Intel 10nm/10SF/10ESF/7 node fell way behind, Intel tried to fast-track Intel 4/3. That also didn't work so Intel tried to fast-track Intel 20A/18A. Intel claims that this is working. Assuming that last claim is true, then Intel 4/3 is potentially in a really awkward position. If 20A/18A are only a year apart, then they're probably competing for resources, and Intel 3 isn't rolling out to the whole product stack because 20A/18A is stealing its attention. When Intel was delivering faster, there was still 2 whole years between major nodes. This is probably a big part of why TSMC is making many of Intel's consumer tiles, because the many foundries are being converted to 20A/18A and can't produce production chips in the meantime.
The lack of EUV machines really threw a wrench in the works. Intel had to actually move some machines during the MTL launch cycle which is certainly not ideal. Intel 3 is a long term node, but I do think the combination of needing to push to 18A which was to be their first leading edge node for third parties and the limited EUV machines has impacted availability.

Reactions: TheSecondPower
I agree with you there. This move would have made a lot more sense when Pat first stepped in.
How would it have made sense then? They were in the middle of massive capital expenditure for EUV machines and not using industry standard EDA for any of their production nodes. It would have been pretty much immediately killed as a potential leading edge provider. The only ones who would have benefited from this are the investor class who love killing companies in the name of profit.

I believe it was Gelsinger himself that said Arrow and Lunar silicon is tsmc, Intel is packaging only.
Nope the only official word at all came from the foundry update as Intel has been unusually quiet about ARL.

Here's one pertinent quote:
With this decision, the Arrow Lake processor family will be built primarily using external partners and packaged by Intel Foundry.
and here's the other:
With Intel 20A, we successfully integrated both RibbonFET gate-all-around transistor architecture and PowerVia backside power delivery for the first time, and these learnings have directly informed the first commercial implementation of both technologies in Intel 18A.
The first quote uses the word "primarily" implying that not all would be external. There are no other tiles for any other product currently being made by Intel other than the Compute Tile. This is why some of us have figured it's possible that a single die is being made on 20A (Intel typically has at least 3 for each generation across desktop/mobile).

The second quote could potentially mean the first commercial GAAFET/BSPDN are 18A. However it could also just be referring to the fact that 20A was used to directly impact 18A.

This unclear language is why I've been rather annoyed at the void of information coming out of Intel. They really just need to come out and say what ARL is, but at the rate we're going I'm guessing this isn't going to happen before the official launch announcement.

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
The first quote uses the word "primarily" implying that not all would be external. There are no other tiles for any other product currently being made by Intel other than the Compute Tile. This is why some of us have figured it's possible that a single die is being made on 20A (Intel typically has at least 3 for each generation across desktop/mobile).
One recent rumor claims this for Arrow Lake's compute tiles:
S/HX tile: TSMC N3B
H tile: TSMC N3B
midrange S tile: Intel 20A
U tile: none; instead Meteor Lake Refresh on Intel 3 and Lunar Lake on TSMC N3B.

Legend
S is desktop probably 65-125W TDPs
HX is mobile probably 45W TDPs
S midrange is desktop probably 65W-95W TDPs
U is mobile probably 15-28W TDPs

This could all be wrong but my point is there's enough room in the lineup for most of the compute tiles to be made by TSMC but for one to still be Intel 20A.

Last edited:

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Also I do want to make another point: these are client chips. Intel has never announced a server chip made by a 3rd party. A lot of Intel 3 capacity this year is going to Sierra Forest and Granite Rapids, and in the same way Intel has said their successors will be built on 18A. Intel's highest-margin chips are still completely manufactured in-house.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
How would it have made sense then? They were in the middle of massive capital expenditure for EUV machines and not using industry standard EDA for any of their production nodes. It would have been pretty much immediately killed as a potential leading edge provider. The only ones who would have benefited from this are the investor class who love killing companies in the name of profit.
Intel could have used the proceeds from the spin off of Mobile Eye, the sale of the modem business and other assets sales to pre-fund the Foundry and gotten off their plate and been able to re-focus on design while letting Foundry re-focus on production. I personally think they would have had an easier time back then getting outside investors on board and would have made a nice story for the "CHIPS and Science ACT". Now it feels more like desperation.

In the end it probably would end up in the same spot it is today, but from an optics point of view I think it may have worked out better for Intel.

Intel could have used the proceeds from the spin off of Mobile Eye, the sale of the modem business and other assets sales to pre-fund the Foundry and gotten off their plate and been able to re-focus on design while letting Foundry re-focus on production. I personally think they would have had an easier time back then getting outside investors on board and would have made a nice story for the "CHIPS and Science ACT". Now it feels more like desperation.

In the end it probably would end up in the same spot it is today, but from an optics point of view I think it may have worked out better for Intel.
I don't even know where to start here. Nothing you said makes any sense at all. No company is going to dump billions into something that isn't healthy right before selling it off. Not only is it foolish, but it would likely end up with lawsuits they would be likely to lose.

Back then there was not a clear path to foundry monetization and while there will always be investors willing to buy up something like that it doesn't guarantee further investment. Also how would Intel spinning off the foundry which would kill the future of leading edge production make for a "nice story"?

You seem to have absolutely no clue how semiconductor fabrication works, how much it costs or how modern investors actually approach capital expenses.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I don't even know where to start here. Nothing you said makes any sense at all. No company is going to dump billions into something that isn't healthy right before selling it off. Not only is it foolish, but it would likely end up with lawsuits they would be likely to lose.
Intel already did this, they dumped billions into it and are still doing so. Whether they did it up front or did it over 3 years the end result is no different.

Stock lose lawsuits only work if investors were mislead. Shoring up a balance sheet before selling a company is a very common thing in Wall St and wouldn't be misleading so long as they disclosed the state of the company's balance sheet and didn't inflate customer order or anything silly like that.

Back then there was not a clear path to foundry monetization and while there will always be investors willing to buy up something like that it doesn't guarantee further investment. Also how would Intel spinning off the foundry which would kill the future of leading edge production make for a "nice story"?
How is this different than today? The plan for 4 nodes in 5 years had already been announced, the plan was, and still is, catch up to TSMC and then pass them while opening up the foundry to new customers. The plan is no different today than it was 3 years ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/23/...ps-outsourcing-foundry-services-manufacturing

Why would investment in leading edge production stop? If the plan was to compete with TSMC, I'm not sure how that would lead to stoppage of leading node development.

You seem to have absolutely no clue how semiconductor fabrication works, how much it costs or how modern investors actually approach capital expenses.
Ignoring the inflammatory comment, I've done investments for a long time and spent a good part of my early career in automotive with is an extremely capital intensive business. I understand the need for up front capital in order to produce a product. That up front capital goes a long way to attracting investors. For example just 4 years ago investors were pumping billions into unprofitable EV makers with even a slim glimmer of hope of profitability. Companies like Rivian are still not profitable, but they are well funded by investors because there is a path to profitability and had a well capitalized balance sheet. All investors really care about is risk reward, a well capitalized company that loses money is fine so long as the path to profitability does not take longer than the time it takes to run out of cash. If we are saying Intel Founder has zero path to profitability then this conversation is moot, as no matter what Intel does, the foundry business will fail.

Reactions: TheSecondPower
Intel already did this, they dumped billions into it and are still doing so. Whether they did it up front or did it over 3 years the end result is no different.
It's actually quite a bit different because continuing to pump money into part of your business is a lot different than dumping a ton of money in and then selling.
Stock lose lawsuits only work if investors were mislead. Shoring up a balance sheet before selling a company is a very common thing in Wall St and wouldn't be misleading so long as they disclosed the state of the company's balance sheet and didn't inflate customer order or anything silly like that.
What you're suggesting wouldn't be shoring up a balance sheet however. It would just be dumping a bunch of money in with no guaranteed path to returns beyond the sale. It's also not about misleading it's about the responsibility US law has put upon publicly traded companies to do what's best for investors.
How is this different than today? The plan for 4 nodes in 5 years had already been announced, the plan was, and still is, catch up to TSMC and then pass them while opening up the foundry to new customers. The plan is no different today than it was 3 years ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/23/...ps-outsourcing-foundry-services-manufacturing

Why would investment in leading edge production stop? If the plan was to compete with TSMC, I'm not sure how that would lead to stoppage of leading node development.
Investment in leading edge is extremely expensive and has been something Intel's investors have been complaining about for years. The returns are only guaranteed if you execute, but given the state of semiconductor it's possible to make a profitable business in pretty much any segment as long as you have some sort of niche. Intel could afford to take a chance on the long game because of the amount of money they were sitting on and the profits from other parts of the business.

GloFo is a perfect example of exactly this: it was spun off because AMD didn't really have a choice at the time. The first major move the new owners did was kill off the in development 7nm node due to equipment costs. This is bog standard for what happens when money people get their hands on companies no matter the market. They look for where the most expensive segment is and kill it so long as there's something else that can be profitable at less cost (or they can part out the business).

In the case of Intel if IFS had been spun off when you're suggesting this would have been 20A/18A getting the axe, the High-NA order being canceled (plausibly keeping the single development machine order), and 14A (or anything beyond) never happening. They likely also would have scrapped everything but the Intel 16 node due to not using industry standard EDA tools and Intel 7 costing too much money for what it provides. The UMC "12nm" deal might still happen, but that goes back to the tools issue and it was a reaction to the Tower Semi deal falling through which also never would have even been initiated.

The first benefit to killing off 20A/18A is that all of the EUV machines on order that would have been used for them can be immediately configured for Intel 3 and start making money. BSPDN was implemented on Intel 4 as to help avoid calamity should it not pan out which means this would be able to be applied to Intel 3 down the road without needing 20A/18A. Their GAAFET implementation was done on 20A/18A but given the problems Samsung has had and TSMC not using it until their N2 node leads me to believe this may not be important near term for Intel 3.

Hopefully all of that explains what's different between then and now (not that I think spinning off now is a good plan either).
Ignoring the inflammatory comment, I've done investments for a long time and spent a good part of my early career in automotive with is an extremely capital intensive business. I understand the need for up front capital in order to produce a product. That up front capital goes a long way to attracting investors. For example just 4 years ago investors were pumping billions into unprofitable EV makers with even a slim glimmer of hope of profitability. Companies like Rivian are still not profitable, but they are well funded by investors because there is a path to profitability and had a well capitalized balance sheet. All investors really care about is risk reward, a well capitalized company that loses money is fine so long as the path to profitability does not take longer than the time it takes to run out of cash.
Personally I wouldn't compare investors creating a bubble (Tesla's huge valuation based on nothing tangible) in a fledgling industry (meaning EV specifically as part of the Tesla pitch was no doing things like regular car companies) to an established industry with known profit centers. Had all car companies doing EV work benefited from this bubble I might agree with the comparison, but that absolutely isn't the case.

Looking at a separate industry case I'd point to Verizon rolling out FIOS. They faced a shareholder revolt because of the capital expenditure despite the fact that the returns were effectively guaranteed (it would just take a while). When this happened they stopped moving into new regions, sold off some regions and then expanded within several of their remaining. This all happened over a decade ago, and earlier this month they announced they were buying the company who they sold off their FIOS regions to.

This is the type of thing I'm referring to when the choice is between making guaranteed money now versus high capital expenditure long game.
If we are saying Intel Founder has zero path to profitability then this conversation is moot, as no matter what Intel does, the foundry business will fail.
As I've already explained it could be profitable today. That doesn't mean it would end up being a good thing for the industry or consumers though.

Last edited:

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Nope the only official word at all came from the foundry update as Intel has been unusually quiet about ARL.

Here's one pertinent quote:

and here's the other:

The second quote could potentially mean the first commercial GAAFET/BSPDN are 18A. However it could also just be referring to the fact that 20A was used to directly impact 18A.

This unclear language is why I've been rather annoyed at the void of information coming out of Intel. They really just need to come out and say what ARL is, but at the rate we're going I'm guessing this isn't going to happen before the official launch announcement.
No, it's clear. There will be no Intel silicon for Arrow and Lunar. It's just that Intel PR doesn't want to make a big deal of that (obviously). Intel has officially cancelled 20a and 18a won't be ready until next year; possibly in time for a refresh gen.

At IFS24 Gelsinger said (in the presence of multiple media) that Arrow is on TSMC N3 and Lunar is TSMC N3B.

The cancellation of 20a was published here on Tom's:
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...-goes-with-external-nodes-instead-likely-tsmc

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
No, it's clear. There will be no Intel silicon for Arrow and Lunar. It's just that Intel PR doesn't want to make a big deal of that (obviously). Intel has officially cancelled 20a and 18a won't be ready until next year; possibly in time for a refresh gen.

At IFS24 Gelsinger said (in the presence of multiple media) that Arrow is on TSMC N3 and Lunar is TSMC N3B.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...-goes-with-external-nodes-instead-likely-tsmc
If you open the article you linked, at the beginning it links to the announcement from Intel:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/opinion/continued-momentum-intel-18a.html

That announcement says,
With this decision, the Arrow Lake processor family will be built primarily using external partners and packaged by Intel Foundry.
Nothing more specific about the fate of Arrow Lake on 20A was stated.

At IFS he was referring to mobile CPUs there has been no confirmation of any other sort. You posted the article that leads to the Intel article I quoted.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Global Foundries is a failed experiment. Spinning off Global Foundries didn't save AMD, instead AMD went through its worst years afterwards.
You presume to know what would've happened had AMD not sold it. Where would they have gotten the operating cash to keep turning out new designs? Even with the spinoff, they still had several rounds of layoffs. I think they had already cut to the bone, so don't tell me they could've just "trimmed the fat".

Also, accepting other customers surely helped GloFo sustain its own development, compared to a scenario where their fortunes were tied to AMD's products. As rough as it was for them, it probably would've been worse, had AMD not sold it off.

AMD doesn't have its own foundries and consistently fails or is unable to get the supply to meet demand. The launch of the Ryzen 7840 was virtually a paper launch at first as almost no laptops included it for the first few months.
Consistently? Most of their availability problems occurred due to the runaway success of their Zen 2-based EPYCs, followed by the pandemic, and got sorted out by late 2022. It's not as if Intel didn't also have some availability problems, if you look back to 2019 and the pandemic years.

At one point, during 2019, Intel's supply woes got so bad they were actually referring customers to AMD! This was due to Intel having too many products on 14 nm and not enough fabs, because they expected 10 nm to have been in volume production, by that point. Doesn't really matter the reason, though. Having your own fabs is no panacea.

Regarding the Ryzen 7840, how do you know that was a supply problem, and not other problems with the platform?

Intel only designs and makes processors. Samsung designs and makes processors and phones, which makes them a competitor directly to Apple's iPhone.
Samsung killed off its core design group. These days, its SoCs are just using IP licenesed from ARM. I'm not saying there's no competitive intelligence that could leak from Samsung's fabs to their product division, but Apple is so far ahead that maybe they aren't terribly concerned about this?

But Intel only designs CPUs, not laptops or phones or servers.
Not sure what your point is, because they design chips that go into embedded, self-driving (via MobilEye), laptops, desktops, and servers. The only market they don't compete in is phones, and Apple is pretty much the only competitor out there who both designs their own chips and sells end-user products containing them. Everyone else who's designing chips is in the chip game, therefore direct competitors.

It seems like you're stretching really hard to make a point, here. Almost as if you need the idea of a fab spinoff to seem worse than it really is.

Processor designs are insanely complex. In my world, in software, ... companies routinely do business with places that will steal their IP.
So, then you have absolutely no idea how hard it is for someone to reverse engineer IP from the masks that actually reach the fab? I'll give you a clue: it's a lot harder than just disassembling some code you get in binary form.

The main thing people can glean by looking at the IP in the form that fabs see it is the typical sort of analysis you sometimes see from people merely looking at die shots. How many cores are there? How big are the register files, L2 and L3 caches, FPU? These are useful for competitive reasons, but not because some competitor is going to lift any part of it and use it in their own chips!

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The irony is that GloFo would've made multiple returns on its investment, if it had a mature 7 nm node during the chip crunch from 2020 to 2022. It just shows how stupid and short-sighted their decision was to kill of that node, especially when it was nearly production-ready.

The only ones would do it and make it a viable bleeding edge company would be a collation of the big tech companies. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon who both need enormous amounts of silicon but are also smart enough to know that sourcing all your chips from a single vendor (TSMC) will at best result in them getting ripped off with monopoly tier pricing.
Some of them already announced deals with IFS and I expect more would follow, for that reason. As much resources as those companies have, even they can't shoulder the burden of supporting an entire modern fab on their own.