Intel Outs Kaby Lake Pentium CPUs With Hyper-Threading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
"The HT-enabled Pentiums create a challenge to AMD's line of low-end processors"
It's been long time since I lost in the names of the several processors and their correspondent performance, and price. But has AMD lost the price/performance battle anytime? I thought that AMD had the better relation in every segment. If so, why would be for AMD any challenge the new Pentiums? It is only a re-arrange in prices, as habitual.

InvalidError

Titan

Very unlikely since Kaby is a third generation chip on Intel's 14nm process. Major production issues should have been sorted out during the Broadwell cycle two years ago.

cmi86

Distinguished
Really curious as to why this entire "release" if you would even dare call it that is so geared to adding incentive on the low end and milking performance on the high end. Seems intel is preparing for some serious competition on all price fronts.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Doesn't need to be reliant on Zen. Cannonlake is already planned with a 6-core i7 mainstream chip.

InvalidError

Titan

There is nothing mainstream about a 6C12T CPU in a mainstream socket if the CPU costs $600, as it most likely will if Zen fails. If Zen succeeds at the rumored price point of ~$500 for the 8C16T variants, then we may see 6C12T from Intel closer to $300.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Yes, their /current/ HEDT 6-core chip is $600, and is in the 2011 socket mobos. However, as I said, they're planning on releasing a 6-core i7 mainstream CPU, likely in the "1150"-type socket, and that also would imply at the mainstream pricepoint the current i7-7700 is at (sub $400). It's Intel's categorization of "mainstream" per their roadmap charts, not mine nor your view of what "mainstream" should be.

I agree though, if Zen succeeds then Intel will be forced to bring their HEDT chips down in price and likely drop pricing on their whole i-series in general. Competition is great for prices. However, the original comment was about core-count progress in the "mainstream" category, which can be independent of external pressures as shown by Cannonlake having a 6c/12t "mainstream"-classified chip on Intel's roadmap even before we knew how Zen would perform.

Well, here's the G4650 with a RX 460 for a sub $400 machine that can offer 40-60 FPS at 1080p:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($47.99 @ Directron)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 460 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($25.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $400.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 15:41 EST-0500

that's a petty decent low-end gamer.

InvalidError

Titan

From 1998 through 2008, Intel's ~$1000 CPUs shared the same slot/socket as mainstream chips. I could perfectly well imagine Intel doing the same thing again if Zen fails to provide credible competition or apply pricing pressure. Bringing new compute capabilities to the same socket does not necessarily mean lower prices.

The main reason why higher core counts are still reserved for LGA2011 on Intel's side is to mitigate the hit on LGA2011 Xeon sales. Many people and companies wouldn't bother with LGA2011 if they could get fundamentally the same CPU on LGA1151 for a few hundred dollars less.

+1. I read that Intel said they'd never release more than a quad core on a consumer platform like Kaby Lake, although I guess as time goes on and you have quad CPU hex-core boards or whatever they come up with on enthusiast/pro grade platforms that will change. Especially to keep up with AMD's more cores is better obsession. You have to look at it from a whats best for them to make money angle.

That's why I can't quite figure out the HT Pentium's! Covering all bases I guess.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Good catch, article updated :)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another feature i3's traditionally have over other dual-core Intel models is ECC support. In the case of Kaby, it seems they've started denoting this with an extra "E" in the model number. Actually, that might be for "Embedded". Regardless, you only get it in the i3-7101E and i3-7101TE.

If you compare them at ark.intel.com, you can see in exactly which areas they differ.

Historically, the i3's were basically the Xeon equivalent of dual-cores (because true E3-series Xeons only started at 4 cores). But, now that I see ECC support limited to 2 of the 8 i3-7xxx SKUs, I wonder if that's still true.

BTW, does anyone know how Intel's "SmartCache" differs from their ordinary caches? That's another advantage of the i3's.

T3kB0i

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Yeah, nice article, but this thing isn't sold anywhere. The only reputable seller online that even has it listed is B&H Photo Video, and even that is a pre-order, and even that is $11 (or 17%) above MSRP according to ark.

ark.intel [dot] com/products/97143/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G4560-3M-Cache-3_50-GHz
bhphotovideo [dot] com/c/product/1304308-REG/intel_bx80677g4560_pentium_g4560_3_5_ghz.html

Status
Not open for further replies.