Intel P67 Express Chipset Begins Product Discontinuance Cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No probs! P67 kicked some ass and that means that if my board will ever die on me, I'll get a shiny new Z68/Z77 on warranty claim because P67 is "no stock" like they say in the local store :p

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Thanks god we still have Intel's backward compatibility. Wait...[/citation]
Tell me... how do you expect to drive a processor with memory controler, pci-e, voltage regulators and all that stuff integrated on chip with an old P45 motherboard? Do you want FSB back? DO YOU?
Ivy will be backward compatible with Sandy motherboards with a simple BIOS update, if your motherboard maker is kind enough to support it.

It's nothing unusual, if you need to upgrade your bios on older motherboards with pci-e 1.1 or 2.0 to support 2.1 graphics cards... so why is making an update on arhitecture any worse?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think people need to understand that by moving forward to bigger and better things, you must leave the older, unused feature sets behind. There is a reason that NEW features and functionality are developed and that old ones disappear. We are just now seeing floppy disks disappear after how long? I don't understand this desire to hang on to outdated hardware and the specs that powered them.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Thanks god we still have Intel's backward compatibility. Wait...[/citation]

Unlike AMD, Intel makes drastic changes to their CPU's every year to warrant a new socket and chipset.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]Unlike AMD, Intel makes drastic changes to their CPU's every year to warrant a new socket and chipset.[/citation]

Unlike AMD, Intel also makes changes to their CPU architecture that actually ADD to performance. If that is the trade-off with breaking compatibility, so be it.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Unlike AMD, Intel also makes changes to their CPU architecture that actually ADD to performance. If that is the trade-off with breaking compatibility, so be it.

Except we already know that that's essentially BS. Remember ASRock's P67 Transformer?
That was a motherboard that, while based on the P67 chipset, powered the first-generation Core i3 processors (LGA 1156, native to the 5-series chipset).

So we can see that there weren't "drastic changes" made. In fact, there was a certain decision made (where the clock generator was located) to intentionally break compatibility- something that could (and probably should) have continued on.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
so many god damned socket revisions. I would be a loyal intel consumer if they would just try to be consistent in keeping the same socket configuration. This is the only reason I am with AMD even though intel offers a more powerful line up of cpus. I can't just keep dishing out hundreds for a new mobo just so i can use a new processor with slightly more features than the previous generation.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
For years intel didn't change the socket platform of the LGA 775 that ranged fomr the Pentium 4 era to the Core 2 Quad era and the performance jump leaps and bounds. Intel could have kept the same LGA 1155 socket until Haswell if they wanted to, but didn't. there was no drastic arch changes that prompted for a new socket between the first and second Core i generations. compared to the Pentuim 4 and Core 2 Duo generations where there were drastic changes in the arch but Intel kept the same LGA 775 platform all those years. So no there isn't an actual need to change sockets every other year other then for marketing reasons.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
yeah, and Pentium 4 communication with memory, pci-e, ... is no different from core 2 duo/quad. Internal arhitecture was different, but not in a manner of communication with other computer components. you forgot to mention the difference in northbridges from different chipsets. you had 8xx and 915 only for P4. 945 and 965 was backward compatible with P4. P35 ended support for P4. So no, you had 775, but it did not support every arhitecture through all of its life.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]I think people need to understand that by moving forward to bigger and better things, you must leave the older, unused feature sets behind. There is a reason that NEW features and functionality are developed and that old ones disappear. We are just now seeing floppy disks disappear after how long? I don't understand this desire to hang on to outdated hardware and the specs that powered them.[/citation]

On the flip side, compatibility can't be thrown out completely. Why is PCI-E so successful? Because PCI-E 2.0 is compatible with 1.0 or 3.0. If every version was completely different, the market adoption would've been much slower.

Unless if you're the only one who's making the stuff that uses it (CPU and CPU socket). However, I would find it unreasonable if Intel got extremely greedy and tied each small groups of or individual processors to a specific chipset or sockets, even if they had the same steppings.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]No probs! P67 kicked some ass and that means that if my board will ever die on me, I'll get a shiny new Z68/Z77 on warranty claim because P67 is "no stock" like they say in the local store[/citation]oh yeah i got 4yrs and 3months left on my sabertooth warranty. Guess if I mange to break it b4 that I get a free z77 sabertooth upgrade.

Have thoroughly enjoyed my ASUS P8P67 Pro for over a year now running a 2500k at 4.83GHz. There was no real incentive to move to Z68 with SSD caching and especially onboard CPU graphics support since my games and Steam folder are on an HDD and the SSD is only a boot/OS drive.

Now with Z77 true native USB 3.0 chipset support is getting interesting as is PCIe 3.0 support for increased SLI performance in 3.0 cards. However, like the Z68 upgrade, none of the main strong selling points are worth me upgrading from the P67. Not even close. Not sure why so many people feel the pressure to constantly upgrade every time a new MOBO revision comes out.

Yes, we all needed to upgrade from LGA 775 to Sandy Bridge as did I, but so far for a gaming rig, there's nothing in these latest boards from a benchmark perspective that warrants moving up from a P67/Z67 to me.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]SuperVeloce[/nom]yeah, and Pentium 4 communication with memory, pci-e, ... is no different from core 2 duo/quad. Internal arhitecture was different, but not in a manner of communication with other computer components. you forgot to mention the difference in northbridges from different chipsets. you had 8xx and 915 only for P4. 945 and 965 was backward compatible with P4. P35 ended support for P4. So no, you had 775, but it did not support every arhitecture through all of its life.[/citation]

That's incorrect the G45 chipset could support Pentium 4's and that was the last LGA 775 socket platform before Intel switched the LGA 1156 platform.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]Unlike AMD, Intel also makes changes to their CPU architecture that actually ADD to performance. If that is the trade-off with breaking compatibility, so be it.[/citation]

That was my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.