News Intel Patent Confirms Work On Multi-Chip-Module GPUs

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
"Borrowing pages from AMD's playbook"?
Pentium D in 2005 was mcm. Saying that is like claiming the native Americans are borrowing pages from the European settlers playbook by living in the U.S.
Also Intel seems to be following the proper method for gaming gpu mcm with a master chiplet and slave chiplets. Software can't act as hardware and just tossing chiplets next to each other on a substrate won't do the job for games, just compute. There has to be a chip in charge of the output.

Which company is the first to implement this is yet to be seen.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
The first company to deploy an MCM GPU design should have an advantage over its competitors
Yes and we already know which will be 1st, AMD with RDNA3, so why the question?

It's not like intel and nvidia can change their plans and press the Super Advance Tech Progress button to launch an MCM GPU before RNDA3 launches before the end of the year... :rolleyes:

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014

It's not like intel and nvidia can change their plans and press the Super Advance Tech Progress button to launch an MCM GPU before RNDA3 launches before the end of the year... :rolleyes:
IF AMD does MCM it doesn't appear to be any more effective for games than previous MCM like 295x2, 7990, etc. The rumors out there portray a normal gpu next to a normal gpu. With compute the cpu is the master chip in charge of the singular output and this can work. With games the cpu can only be the master through fickle software tricks that are currently the purview of the game devs and MCM can't work.

This patent by Intel makes it look like it is already the gaming industry leader in MCM and AMD can't press the super advance tech progress button to fix their rumored misguided failure of MCM RDNA3.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
IF AMD does MCM it doesn't appear to be any more effective for games than previous MCM like 295x2, 7990, etc. The rumors out there portray a normal gpu next to a normal gpu. With compute the cpu is the master chip in charge of the singular output and this can work. With games the cpu can only be the master through fickle software tricks that are currently the purview of the game devs and MCM can't work.

This patent by Intel makes it look like it is already the gaming industry leader in MCM and AMD can't press the super advance tech progress button to fix their rumored misguided failure of MCM RDNA3.
Are you living in fantasy land? Intel simp fantasy land? Looks that way...

Meanwhile the rest of the world knows how good Zen CPUs are already and some of us that follow the leaks also know about the at least 2x performance if not more that RDNA3 with MCM (which follows on the footsteps of Zen tech, but adjusted for GPUs) will have over RDNA2.

Watch how AMD retakes the gaming crown next gen at the end of 2022, you and intel and nvidia fanbois are all invited. My popcorn is ready.

In the mean time intel still needs to prove 1) they can actually launch Arc and 2) that Arc is not horrible and at least decent.
You can keep your supremacy wishes and dreams of intel in GPU space inside your head for at least 2 years, the battle is between nvidia and AMD until maybe 2nd or 3rd gen intel GPUs. So let's see how they do with the 1st gen, first. Pffft.

Reactions: saltweaver

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Are you living in fantasy land? Intel simp fantasy land? Looks that way...

Meanwhile the rest of the world knows how good Zen CPUs are already and some of us that follow the leaks also know about the at least 2x performance if not more that RDNA3 with MCM (which follows on the footsteps of Zen tech, but adjusted for GPUs) will have over RDNA2.

Watch how AMD retakes the gaming crown next gen at the end of 2022, you and intel and nvidia fanbois are all invited. My popcorn is ready.

In the mean time intel still needs to prove 1) they can actually launch Arc and 2) that Arc is not horrible and at least decent.
You can keep your supremacy wishes and dreams of intel in GPU space inside your head for at least 2 years, the battle is between nvidia and AMD until maybe 2nd or 3rd gen intel GPUs. So let's see how they do with the 1st gen, first. Pffft.
Have you seen rumors of AMD MCM gpus where it isn't just 2 gpu dies next to each other? If so, please post the link and educate me.
If that is all that they are doing then it is driver and/or game directed MCM aka CFX.

I've used that, you probably have as well, and it isn't the same as cpu driven MCM compute, or the hardware driven, game agnostic MCM you are hoping AMD will implement while going only by rumors of the rebirth of CFX. AMD mgpu is likely for compute. In 2022 CFX sucks.

This Intel patent is detailing a vague, yet likely viable approach to that MCM you are hoping for. Hopefully one of the three builds it.

Jan 3, 2022
Most likely AMD shall launch Zen4 while Nvidia shall launch Next-gen RTX 4000 cards built on the 5nm process node. RDNA 3 series are hiting 2023 window. Suddenly is getting crowded.

InvalidError

Titan

While AMD may be first with a consumer MCM GPU, Intel has its 40+ tiles Ponte Vecchio compute monster for the Aurora supercomputer coming up this year taking MCM integration to a whole new massive scale.

Reactions: renz496

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Have you seen rumors of AMD MCM gpus where it isn't just 2 gpu dies next to each other? If so, please post the link and educate me.
If that is all that they are doing then it is driver and/or game directed MCM aka CFX.

I've used that, you probably have as well, and it isn't the same as cpu driven MCM compute, or the hardware driven, game agnostic MCM you are hoping AMD will implement while going only by rumors of the rebirth of CFX. AMD mgpu is likely for compute. In 2022 CFX sucks.

This Intel patent is detailing a vague, yet likely viable approach to that MCM you are hoping for. Hopefully one of the three builds it.
I remember MLiD saying in one of his leaks in 2021 about future AMD GPUs, that they have more than 2 chiplets, like they have for CPUs and that they are also working on tiles at the same time.
I really don't think AMD is doing just one thing and will fall behind, when now they are actually ahead...
Most likely AMD shall launch Zen4 while Nvidia shall launch Next-gen RTX 4000 cards built on the 5nm process node. RDNA 3 series are hiting 2023 window. Suddenly is getting crowded.
Anyting is possible, but actually most likely will not be like you say. Dr. Lisa Su herself said so a few days ago that their planed AMD products, Zen4 and RDNA3, both are coming in 2022. It was in the news on all sites, here too.
While AMD may be first with a consumer MCM GPU, Intel has its 40+ tiles Ponte Vecchio compute monster for the Aurora supercomputer coming up this year taking MCM integration to a whole new massive scale.
Sure, but in 2021 it was AMD with the 1st exascale supercomputer Frontier. So you see, this is how tight competition works, so who will take 2023 then?

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012

I agree that a cfx like implementation would be a huge let down at this point in time, but amd's work with infinity cache in rdna2 gives us a hint that multiple gpus are likely to share the same memory pool. It could be extrapolated that other mcm quirks could be hidden behind a similar caching mechanism. We shall see. Keep an eye on frametime consistency metrics. I think consumer gaming will be more sensitive to consistent, real-time output.

Reactions: VforV

InvalidError

Titan
Sure, but in 2021 it was AMD with the 1st exascale supercomputer Frontier. So you see, this is how tight competition works, so who will take 2023 then?
I only brought up Aurora because that is what Ponte Vecchio will ship to in 2022, the point being that Intel will be shipping GPUs with ~10X more complex 3D-stacked packaging in 2022. It may not be first to consumer market but it is way ahead on MCM ambitions.