Intel Patents Dynamic Core Swapping in Multi-core Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Bloody patents... it makes me sad whenever a new one is granted... especially for old technology that is commercially available and made by another company. There is something wrong with the patent office... maybe they're all working on the next TOE but somehow I doubt that...

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]mihaimm[/nom]Bloody patents... it makes me sad whenever a new one is granted... especially for old technology that is commercially available and made by another company. There is something wrong with the patent office... maybe they're all working on the next TOE but somehow I doubt that...[/citation]

There is nothing wrong with a a patent for a tech that somebody already has a similar version of. As long as you come up with a new method of doing the same thing. By your logic there should only be one of any kind of any product.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]echdskech[/nom]doesn't that tegra 4+1 do that already?[/citation]
You didn't read the article very carefully, did you?

Intel filed the patent in December of 2008
Intel filed for this patent at around the same time as the very first Tegra chip was released.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]dan-n[/nom]I'm sorry but how is this different to ARM's big.LITTLE?[/citation]
Because it's on a cpu rather than a gpu and I know ARM makes cpu's but when was the last time you saw an ARM laptop?

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Wow this sounds really good though seeing as how intel has such a dominant presence in the notebook market, if combined with nvidia's optimus technology then I can see some massive battery life improvements

dan-n

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]Wow this sounds really good though seeing as how intel has such a dominant presence in the notebook market, if combined with nvidia's optimus technology then I can see some massive battery life improvements[/citation]

Are you saying that ARM's concept is on GPUs?

If so you're wrong... It's on CPUs, the Cortex-A7 and A15 theyre CPUs not GPUs. X86n is not GPUs thats CPUs too!

And I'll think you'll find come Windows 8 it will be in a lot of laptops and when the v8 cores come out it will be in even more due to the 64-bit architecture. Furthermore, ARM is in almost 100% of tablets!

ARMs CPUs are a hell of a lot more power efficient than Intel and have been for years!

dan-n

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
whoops wrong quote ^^^ I meant this one:

[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]Because it's on a cpu rather than a gpu and I know ARM makes cpu's but when was the last time you saw an ARM laptop?[/citation]

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]dan-n[/nom]whoops wrong quote ^^^ I meant this one:[/citation]
No I was referring to the implumentation of Arm into tegra along with a gpu...... and I'm primarily talking about notebooks not tablets..... Honestly I don't care very much for tablets I'd rather have a notebook if i wanted a mobile computer.

dan-n

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]No I was referring to the implumentation of Arm into tegra along with a gpu...... and I'm primarily talking about notebooks not tablets..... Honestly I don't care very much for tablets I'd rather have a notebook if i wanted a mobile computer.[/citation]

Dude its called a SoC and you obviously don't know what big.LITTLE is, because Tegra is not big.LITTLE thats NVidias 4+1 architecture completely different.

If you want a low power "notebook" get a transformer prime with a battery life of 18hours, whilst under normal use with web browsing and HD video play back... None of this 10hours of battery life whilst we're not using it to do anything!

The next arms race is not in performance, its in low power seeing as everything is shifting towards a cloud computing infrastructure! there was big hype when Intel anounced that it was using clock gating... ARM has been using this since it was founded in 1991!

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dan-n[/nom]The next arms race is not in performance, its in low power seeing as everything is shifting towards a cloud computing infrastructure! [/citation]
ask megaupload users how that cloud computing is working out for them. that's is just the tip of the iceberg on cloud computing problems. ask your ISP about it's bandwidth caps and download limits.
figure in lag power outages, hackers. amazing you are not using microsofts terminal services to write this on your node.

[citation][nom]dan-n[/nom]Dude its called a SoC and you obviously don't know what big.LITTLE is, because Tegra is not big.LITTLE thats NVidias 4+1 architecture completely different.If you want a low power "notebook" get a transformer prime with a battery life of 18hours, whilst under normal use with web browsing and HD video play back... None of this 10hours of battery life whilst we're not using it to do anything!The next arms race is not in performance, its in low power seeing as everything is shifting towards a cloud computing infrastructure! there was big hype when Intel anounced that it was using clock gating... ARM has been using this since it was founded in 1991![/citation]

You had me agreeing with you until you mentioned cloud computing. Cloud computing is about as unreliable as any form of computing can get, not to mention the reduced speed and the costs associated with it.

hanskey

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You had me agreeing with you until you mentioned cloud computing. Cloud computing is about as unreliable as any form of computing can get, not to mention the reduced speed and the costs associated with it.[/citation]
ditto.

Obviously Intel is trying to get a foothold in the tablet market, with this, but I don't think they can compete with ARM any time soon.

However, I do hope that Intel does well enough to force tablet performance to increase at a much faster pace with this move, because tablets are still nowhere near good enough to be cheap laptop replacements.

[citation][nom]hanskey[/nom]ditto_Obviously Intel is trying to get a foothold in the tablet market, with this, but I don't think they can compete with ARM any time soon.However, I do hope that Intel does well enough to force tablet performance to increase at a much faster pace with this move, because tablets are still nowhere near good enough to be cheap laptop replacements.[/citation]

Oh, Intel can compete with ARM.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Intel has a piece of paper called a patent. Nvidia has a chip being manufactured at thousands per day. I would say Nvidia has more than enough evidence to show prior art. The Tegra 3 did not just come into existence in the last 4 years. These things take time. This just shows Nvidia puts more resources into engineering where Intel puts more resources on lawyers.

[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Intel has a piece of paper called a patent. Nvidia has a chip being manufactured at thousands per day. I would say Nvidia has more than enough evidence to show prior art. The Tegra 3 did not just come into existence in the last 4 years. These things take time. This just shows Nvidia puts more resources into engineering where Intel puts more resources on lawyers.[/citation]

Intel can have whatever patents that they want. Having a patent (even a stupid one) doesn't matter. Now, if Intel attacks Nvidia through this patent, then I will see problems. However, Intel might have patented this before Nvidia tried it out. Nvidia should have patented it or at least done something about it themselves, but they didn't.

This does not show that Nvidia puts more money into work and Intel puts more money into lawyers at all. In fact, if Intel does not abuse this patent (they might, they might not), then it is a good thing that they patented it because it will stop someone who would abuse it from patenting it and suing everyone. Lately, Intel does not seem to be the kind to sue another company right now, so they probably won't do it. However, this patent's similarity to Tegra 3 is alarming, so it is possible.

Besides all of that, from the looks of it, this seems to only apply to X86 CPUs, so it's no big deal if Nvidia keeps Tegra as an ARM based CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.