Intel Patents Gaming System With "Safety Features"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
just tie one end of a rope around the player's waist and tie the other end of the rope to the dinner table. sensors can only warn. physical restraints will do better. cheers

InvalidError

Titan
Using "two sets of sensors" (artificial vision) to reconstruct a real-world scene in virtual 3D is something that has been done over 10 years ago. Seems like Intel has essentially patented the idea of using something similar to predict potential collision hazards.

I can see why Intel would be interested in that: major CPU hog. Processing HD stereo-3D in real-time for spatial analysis and collision avoidance with high enough precision to finely control games and applications using air-gestures would use most of current CPUs' time. While Kinect proves the general concept, its motion detection is much too coarse and laggy for fine control.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]jonjonjon[/nom]did intel actually implement and test this or did they just patent some dumb idea?[/citation]
I wouldn't say it is a 'dumb' patent but it is a relatively obvious one if you consider that Kinect already has most of what is required to implement it.

I chuck it up the alley of defensive patents where Intel patents this possible killer-app to prevent someone else from killing it and ruining one of Intel's best future opportunities for pushing higher-throughput CPU/GPGPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.