Intel Patents 'Multiplying Two Numbers'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If it's the hardware that the computations are being done on - that's patents.

If it's the software - that can run on various DIFFERENT hardware - that actually falls under the realm of Copyright, not patent.

nullpointerr

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
It is actually the algorithm used for multiplying they are patenting, not the multiplication operation itself. Algorithms are complex functions that require investments and research to develop and therefore can be patented. Please read the whole article before commenting.

TitusFFX

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096 and so forth... it's always had multiplication tables into it just like they sell hard drives in units of 1000k = 1mb when the windows os is based in units of 1024k = 1mb

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I'd tell you to stop posting, but why should I when it's fun watching people on Tom's advertise publicly how stupid they really are? If you want to dig a hole I'll happily provide a shovel.If you're making cakes you can patent a recipe, a machine you invented to make cakes or an ingredient. If you came up with an alternative to flour (created a new ingredient that didn't exist before) then you sure as hell can patent it.My analogy is perfectly in line with software development, yours is not and again shows we have another person on Tom's who knows jack shit about software development. Your analogy would be akin to someone using the existing libraries in a development package and combining them to make a new program. My analogy is akin to creating a new algorithm to add to that library.[/citation]
I think you don't need that shovel, you're already there.
I never claimed my comment had anything to do with software development, but I said that your analogy was (and still is ) stupid.
if you wanted to make a point, use something different, because the cakes one... not fitting a bit. You don't create ingredients, you just use them. Can you create vanilla? hell, no.
As far as SD... I don't really care what you consider ingredients and what not. But you're incapable of noticing the fact that your analogy was derailed, and instead choose to spew venom with every comment (and yet, somehow, you pretend to be an intelligent person). And stop referring to that as my analogy... I did not make it, you did, and was ill-chosen.
And BTW, when you choose to call everyone that disagrees with you names, that is not evidence of high IQ... regardless of your educational background. This whole comment section looks like you're backed-up in a trench, hurling insults at everyone around. No reason to feel that threatened IF you're that confident you're right. Just read over the comments section if you don't believe me.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
@house70, I think you might need to stop talking and think for a minute.

"you don't create ingredients, you just use them"

So, could you tell me the plant you pick flour off of and just use? The corn used to make tortillas is virtually inedible without processing there. Create vanilla, well, I recommend reading up on creation of vanilla as you might discover you can't just pick it and use it. Beyond that into more artificial ingredients, immitation vanilla is derived from wood and most chemists would argue is created. Please tell me where splenda or sweet'n'low grows? How about we get into food coloring?

Would you like me to continue?

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom][/citation]

It was me who started with the cake, with a different analogy though. Just to make a point. ;) Very similar to your comment: "ingredients are not invented, they are there. The way you combine them and process them to get to the finite product (cake) is called a recipe, and that's what you can patent." with which I totally agree.

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom] it's fun watching people on Tom's advertise publicly how stupid they really are [/citation]

I believe a discussion is not about trying to discredit other ideas but to interchange them, each one expressing what they think. Nobody is trying to convince you. And in the future, if you try to convince anybody abstain from calling them stupid - that will just invalidate your arguement.

I still believe algorythms are science, which i repeat is universal, and just when they're applied their product become your idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS