Review Intel Performance Maximizer (IPM) Tested: One-Click Overclocking Comes to 9th-Gen CPUs

Here, take this Intel provided software, use it, it's great but....BUT,....if you use it, and overclock , and kill your processor, well, it was 'inherently dangerous'...your bad! :) (Better luck with your $500 next time!) :)

Granted, Intel's XTU is not 'one click and done', but, I thought it would be hard to get too much easier (I think it took 5-6 clicks?)....

I see it's now easier.. :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I wonder if this is smacking a little of desperation. These CPUs are already blowing past their TDP now that Intel has decided that base-speed TDP is more convenient for them that maximum power.

Maybe they can't really claim a huge gaming lead anymore, and are trying to push through whatever boost they can, to try and keep an edge?

In this case, both in performance, and as a convenient space-heater.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Well I guess this free utility makes the 9900KS obsolete -- hasn't even launched yet! lol!

Maybe they figured the suckers that would buy the insurance for the IPM would offset the markup on the 9900ks? Intel makes no sense at all ... literally none ... I can't wait for the 3900x to launch so I can give AMD more money.

Last edited:

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I wonder if this is smacking a little of desperation. These CPUs are already blowing past their TDP now that Intel has decided that base-speed TDP is more convenient for them that maximum power.

Maybe they can't really claim a huge gaming lead anymore, and are trying to push through whatever boost they can, to try and keep an edge?

In this case, both in performance, and as a convenient space-heater.

Massive power draws are only a major concern when AMD has it. When Intel has it, it just means cause its better. Don't you know the logic? ;)

Last edited:
It's a useful utility, but it needs this, but it only supports that, but you have to remove this other thing. Typical for Intel.

Say what you want but Intel has quite a bit of experience in software development. I trust their reasons for doing iot
Massive power draws are only a major concern when AMD has it. When Intel has it, it just means cause its better. Don't you know the logic? ;)

Not quite. The times when AMD did have horrible power draw their performance was just as bad.

You also must have forgotten the Netburst era. Intel was ridiculed for its power draw and lower performance than the competing Athlon 64 chips.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Say what you want but Intel has quite a bit of experience in software development. I trust their reasons for doing iot

Not quite. The times when AMD did have horrible power draw their performance was just as bad.

You also must have forgotten the Netburst era. Intel was ridiculed for its power draw and lower performance than the competing Athlon 64 chips.
Oh I'm all for making fun of AMD in bulldozer mode, my point is that the 9th gen power draws didn't nearly the criticism (ridicule) it should have, especially with the 99o0k "95w "TDP. Major reviewers barely even cared ...

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Here, take this Intel provided software, use it, it's great but....BUT,....if you use it, and overclock , and kill your processor, well, it was 'inherently dangerous'...your bad! :) (Better luck with your $500 next time!) :)

Granted, Intel's XTU is not 'one click and done', but, I thought it would be hard to get too much easier (I think it took 5-6 clicks?)....

I see it's now easier.. :)

Aren't they selling optional insurance for it for $20? Chances softweare like this will brick your CPU is close to zero, so its just a cash grab ...

Oh I'm all for making fun of AMD in bulldozer mode, my point is that the 9th gen power draws didn't nearly the criticism (ridicule) it should have, especially with the 99o0k "95w "TDP. Major reviewers barely even cared ...

Most reviews don't really talk about power if the performance is still decent. That's the major difference. The 9900K performed very well, even at stock.

Normally they would only point it out in rare cases where it doesn't make sense, say for example if Zen 2 performs on par per clock and core with Intel but uses less power or when there is an issue, like when TH found a GPU was pulling more than the rated power from a PCIe slot.