Intel Phases Out More Sandy Bridge CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

according to the mayan calendar the world will end before all of this anyhow so it does not matter.

G

Oh! and do not forget Intel Giving controll over their HD Graphics Drivers updates to the OEMs, By letting OEMs customize the Intel HD graphics drivers, thereby denying Laptop Owners the Ability to update their computer's graphics drivers at the Intel HD graphics driver uptate website. Intel you know that many of the Laptop OEMs purposefully never update their customized HD graphics drivers in an attempt to make their laptops obsolete before their time!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]Yes Intel please release yet another socket so you can continue your streak of screwing your loyal customers year after year. Hurry![/citation]people cry about it yet still buys it ! and don`t tell me everybody needs or buys top notch CPU`s from Intel because AMD doesn`t have a product there.. hell yes i got screwed by Intel on my laptop because they don`t support GPU drivers anymore for 1st gen I3 cpus on Win8 (don`t care about metro is faster in all other things than 7), so my HDMI support on my laptop is crap now because they actually blame nvidia in my laptop :))

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]looniam[/nom]according to the mayan calendar the world will end before all of this anyhow so it does not matter.[/citation]

They misread that apparently. The world isn't going to end its the end of an era apparently. Anyway the mayans didn't count leap years so actually the world should have ended about 9 months ago now I think. Sorry about that.

Well intel are just continuing their progression on CPUs. I hope their planned socket change isn't set in stone, surely there's nothing stopping Haswell being able to be put in LGA1155?

larkspur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]Yes Intel please release yet another socket so you can continue your streak of screwing your loyal customers year after year. Hurry![/citation]
Not sure where you are coming from... A SB/IB is a good enough CPU for multiple years. By the time most people's systems are bottlenecked by their SB/IB, the motherboard's features will be so outdated that there isn't much point in a CPU upgrade.

[citation][nom]blahman11[/nom]They misread that apparently. The world isn't going to end its the end of an era apparently. Anyway the mayans didn't count leap years so actually the world should have ended about 9 months ago now I think. Sorry about that. Well intel are just continuing their progression on CPUs. I hope their planned socket change isn't set in stone, surely there's nothing stopping Haswell being able to be put in LGA1155?[/citation]
Think of it this way (and this is their argument, not mine). If you are buying a brand new CPU for a gaming rig, do you really want it choked by 3 year old ram, 3 year old buss speeds, and be forced to update your firmware (which may brick a perfectly good board... though the process has gotten better over the years)? While I do not entirely agree with this outlook, I do understand that they are on top right now, and they do not want to get a bad name for having chips that phisically fit, but may have the wrong voltages, firmware, or feature sets to work perfectly right. By changing the interface every 2-3 years (regardless of necessity), it saves them a ton of support time explaining that 'had you purchased a different board, with the same chip-set, your new CPU would work, but the one you purchased does not'.
As it is, you slap it in, and it works, and there is no better PR than that. Updating the firmware may unlock some features, but for the most part the chip will work regardless.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
What a bonch of Crying ho's, with the prices sitting at rock bottem, look a new cpu 225 a new board 150
wa wa wa wa, so a new scocket, big deal. Your still going to get about 5 years out of the dead board anyway and how cares about the socket. I have never upgraded to a new cpu without the board as well. also you do not want the intel video buy a laptop with ati or nvidia. when a laptop only cost around 400 dollars, what the hell do you want.
My first laptop was a dog 233 back in the day by micron. 3 Grand due 3 grand.
sit down a shut up about what company X is doing.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jdamon113[/nom]What a bonch of Crying ho's, with the prices sitting at rock bottem, look a new cpu 225 a new board 150wa wa wa wa, so a new scocket, big deal. Your still going to get about 5 years out of the dead board anyway and how cares about the socket. I have never upgraded to a new cpu without the board as well. also you do not want the intel video buy a laptop with ati or nvidia. when a laptop only cost around 400 dollars, what the hell do you want. My first laptop was a dog 233 back in the day by micron. 3 Grand due 3 grand. sit down a shut up about what company X is doing.[/citation]

. . . slow down.

newood

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I don't agree with people complaining about the socket changes. I have had my i7-960 since they came out almost 3 years ago. AMD can't touch it when it comes to gaming. I have always upgraded everything thing mb/ram/cpu/hd when upgrading. The only down side is over the past 3 years they have yet to come out with anything fast enough to call it and real upgrade. The only things that are improving are gpu's and gpu processing. I feel bad for people that buy an i3 or i5 and expect to upgrade the cpu in one year. I really think if you buy a new computer you might as well make it an investment and get something that last. (Also as jdamon113 said people complain when they spend $1000 on a computer. Back when I bought my 120mhz compaq, I spent $3500 it's amazing what you can get for so little now and people still complain about prices.)

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]xtreme5[/nom]My pentium II @ 1ghz is still running better than amd fx-8150 heheheh[/citation]
how old are you? pentium II never hit anywhere near 1ghz if it wasnt for AMD you would still have a netburst single core maybe at 4ghz that gets destroyed by bulldozer

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]how old are you? pentium II never hit anywhere near 1ghz if it wasnt for AMD you would still have a netburst single core maybe at 4ghz that gets destroyed by bulldozer[/citation]
troll: 1
killabanks: 0

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Anyone complaining about having to buy a motherboard with every new CPU is not an enthusiast, and I honestly don't know why you come here.

These sites are more your style: Dell.com HP.com

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]blahman11[/nom]They misread that apparently. The world isn't going to end its the end of an era apparently. Anyway the mayans didn't count leap years so actually the world should have ended about 9 months ago now I think. Sorry about that. Well intel are just continuing their progression on CPUs. I hope their planned socket change isn't set in stone, surely there's nothing stopping Haswell being able to be put in LGA1155?[/citation]
your math is flawed 7 years ago was the end since you started counting from roman calendar time and not mayan calendar time when this was written many thousands of years before christ was born. The Mayan calendar was established in 3372 BC.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
There is probably no demand for them if they cost the same price. People want to see price drops and there are none. This is because Intel ha a Monopoly.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hmmm. I'm split both ways. Retaining the same socket is good for the environment, but of course i guess it's simpler to change things completely every 2 years for Intel.

However i also think that very few people NEED to change their mobo after every new CPU is released. Sometimes i think people just have too much money to throw, spending $200 bucks or more each year for 100MHz.

Consumerism. *sigh*.

Reuse, Reduce, Recycle.

G

When I went from AMD to Intel 5 years ago, I went with the e4400, which was leaps and bounds faster than my previous single-core chip. I thought about going with a Wolfdale a coupla years later, but waited for the Yorkfield to drop down some. Thus, I'm still running on a P35 board, Yorkfield core, and a single radeon 6850. I'm starting to think about a new build, but honestly, just updating the graphics has gotten me a long way without the headache and expense of an entirely new build. Socket 775 is still alive!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]newood[/nom]I don't agree with people complaining about the socket changes. I have had my i7-960 since they came out almost 3 years ago. AMD can't touch it when it comes to gaming. I have always upgraded everything thing mb/ram/cpu/hd when upgrading. The only down side is over the past 3 years they have yet to come out with anything fast enough to call it and real upgrade. The only things that are improving are gpu's and gpu processing. I feel bad for people that buy an i3 or i5 and expect to upgrade the cpu in one year. I really think if you buy a new computer you might as well make it an investment and get something that last. (Also as jdamon113 said people complain when they spend $1000 on a computer. Back when I bought my 120mhz compaq, I spent $3500 it's amazing what you can get for so little now and people still complain about prices.)[/citation]
I have a Phenom II 940 (never overclocked it) since 2009 and i run every fukin game out there at max details with a GTX 465 except of few new titles that are beyond my GPU, so chill down a bit with your i7 960 not being touched by AMD. For games every CPU from core i5 class or above are about the same , what matters the most beyond that is the GPU.

[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]I have a Phenom II 940 (never overclocked it) since 2009 and i run every fukin game out there at max details with a GTX 465 except of few new titles that are beyond my GPU, so chill down a bit with your i7 960 not being touched by AMD. For games every CPU from core i5 class or above are about the same , what matters the most beyond that is the GPU.[/citation]

With games becoming more and more well-threaded, the i7s are starting to show an advantage over the i5s in a few situations, but yes, the LGA 1155 i5s are usually about every bit as good as even the SB-E i7s.[citation][nom]newood[/nom]I don't agree with people complaining about the socket changes. I have had my i7-960 since they came out almost 3 years ago. AMD can't touch it when it comes to gaming. I have always upgraded everything thing mb/ram/cpu/hd when upgrading. The only down side is over the past 3 years they have yet to come out with anything fast enough to call it and real upgrade. The only things that are improving are gpu's and gpu processing. I feel bad for people that buy an i3 or i5 and expect to upgrade the cpu in one year. I really think if you buy a new computer you might as well make it an investment and get something that last. (Also as jdamon113 said people complain when they spend $1000 on a computer. Back when I bought my 120mhz compaq, I spent $3500 it's amazing what you can get for so little now and people still complain about prices.)[/citation]

CPUs have been steadily improving (well, Intel has, AMD's been improving in some ways and kinda stagnating or even going backwards in others, but Piledriver should help that). They don't move as quickly as graphics do, but they don't need to. For example, an i5-2500K can beat your i7-960 in performance in most games and for a much lower price. Haswell will probably be out next year and it will show another performance, performance per watt, and performance per price improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.