Question Intel PL1 and PL2, how do they work exactly?

Assaf Patishi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2017
Hi,
I am currently running 14900K CPU. I know that PL2 (short duration boost) is limited to 320W and lasts 56 seconds before it goes down to 253W (PL1) . I ran a constant load and indeed it started at 320W and after the TAU (Turbo time parameter) it went down to 253W as expected and stayed there. But what I don't understand is, at what point does the CPU goes back to PL2 mode? what are the conditions that need to be met for the CPU to go back to PL2?
And what about gaming scenario when the loads is not that high and changes rapidly?

Thx.

But what I don't understand is, at what point does the CPU goes back to PL2 mode? what are the conditions that need to be met for the CPU to go back to PL2?
And what about gaming scenario when the loads is not that high and changes rapidly?

Thx.
This is internal in the CPU, it checks to keep the average at 253W , or whatever you have set as PL1, so there will have to be an amount of time that the CPU would be below PL1 due to a low workload for it to be able to go to PL2 again.
The interval at which the CPU does this check is called "Turbo Boost Power Time Window" and you can change it, within some limits, with intel xtu.

In games it will never even reach 253W in the first place.