Intel Plans to Discontinue Multiple CPUs, Incl. Core i5-3450

Status
Not open for further replies.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
wayyyy too many choices of cpu's, MB chipsets, sockets, ram speed, and all that stuff from China that has flooded our dying PC market. I remember how gaming companies were at the forefront of pushing the innovation, the desire, the need to upgrade, but now these giant gaming companies are making bloated PC games, rehashing old sequels with corporatism incorporated into their games, that they are SINGLEHANDEDLY destroying all that they have brought to the table.

Valve, save us!

Blizzard, EA , Activision, needs to die a horrible death. UBIsoft is doing ok, don't shun them.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
No one can say they didn't see this coming. The 22nm chips are more profitable per unit than the 32nm chips. Because performance is stellar for either they have to be priced similar to each other, or who would buy the new one. Once the old chips are gone Intel can slowly start creeping up CPU prices again, until everyone is paying $400 for bottom end and $1000 for top end again.

Thanks for the complete lack of competition in the CPU segment from AMD, Intel can now go back to milking its customers.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]No one can say they didn't see this coming. The 22nm chips are more profitable per unit than the 32nm chips. Because performance is stellar for either they have to be priced similar to each other, or who would buy the new one. Once the old chips are gone Intel can slowly start creeping up CPU prices again, until everyone is paying $400 for bottom end and $1000 for top end again.Thanks for the complete lack of competition in the CPU segment from AMD, Intel can now go back to milking its customers.[/citation]Must you remind us how AMD let us down?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I understand discontinuing the Sandy Bridge CPUs, but why are they dropping the i5-3450?

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]No one can say they didn't see this coming. The 22nm chips are more profitable per unit than the 32nm chips. Because performance is stellar for either they have to be priced similar to each other, or who would buy the new one. Once the old chips are gone Intel can slowly start creeping up CPU prices again, until everyone is paying $400 for bottom end and $1000 for top end again.Thanks for the complete lack of competition in the CPU segment from AMD, Intel can now go back to milking its customers.[/citation]

An i5 at $400 with Ivy Bridge is a far inferior value to even AMD's CPUs without the core configuration and/or P state altering methods that with CPU/NB frequency overclocking, can bring any FX-81xx CPU up to par with the LGA 1155 i5s and i7s in single threaded performance. Intel isn't stupid and wouldn't do that, especially with CPU performance greater than current i5s making little impact on gaming. Even more so considering that even Phenom II and Bulldozer FX can get a steady ~60FPS in any game today even if they need overclocking to do it and they'll probably do the trick for years to come.

AMD also has laid the plans for great performance jumps with each improvement on Bulldozer just as Intel has done with Core 2 (which is still nearly identical in CPU arch to even Ivy Bridge and probably Haswell, gains are mostly in die shrinks, cache improvements, and die integration) and how AMD did with Athlon 64 up until Bulldozer was launched.

In fact, AMD has greater gains planned than Intel does and has made clear how they'll achieve them.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6201/amd-details-its-3rd-gen-steamroller-architecture

Intel will not raise prices ridiculously. They undoubtedly will rise to the challenge of a revitalized AMD and will probably make improvements in their plans to ensure that they get and stay ahead of AMD should AMD take the lead.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
If Intel chips started creeping to $400 for the low end, I think I would go with AMD. I know Intel chips are better, but that's too much damn money. Hopefully you are mistaken.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Intel would need to be in an extremely monopolist situation in which anti-trust laws would hammer Intel as they did in the past, except probably even more fiercely because Intel would be a re-peat offender and governments would love to fine Intel to get some money to waste. Intel is still fighting the EU over past fines to this day, so I highly doubt that Intel would risk more such problems, especially if AMD sues them and Intel has to pay AMD as well as paying fines to governments. Intel can be greedy (hey, they're a company, any other company would be out to get as much money as they reasonably can get too), but they're not stupid.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
[citation][nom]luciferano[/nom]I understand discontinuing the Sandy Bridge CPUs, but why are they dropping the i5-3450?[/citation]

I can only guess that the yields on the silicon are good enough that pretty much all the chips coming out greatly exceed the 3450 specs.
So selling 3450 would just be a sales/marketting ploy to try to capture dead money, even though the product being sold is the same as a higher item.

Might as well at least tell the customers you are giving them the higher item and say "free upgrade" or something like that.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Well its a good thing.
Lets hope their vast variety of CPUs cleans up a little, its a mess to pick an intel cpu and people asking 'hey should I get this or that or maybe that', and gets to be a little more cohesive
I am no AMD fanboy but AMD's namings and brandings of CPUs are actually pretty nice.
Its way more simple to understand AMD than Intel.

Intel gives you a quite a few locked processors within each family (i3, i5, i7) with the first number as their generation and ... honestly, I dont know that does the rest mean. Slight modifications on he multiplier of course, differences on the HD Graphics, but they have many more than AMD has. To my point of view, if you plan your performance gaps correctly, LESS IS MORE. AMD with the FX line has 4, 6 and 8 cores, but only 1 or 2 of each for every generation (currently only BD and PD) and they are all unlocked (locking or unlocking makes Intel some absolutely free earnings, with I find to be a not very ethical or competitive way to go)

Well whatever, probably more than one out there will hate (and call names and all that childish stuff) about the AMD/Intel stupid fanboyism, but bottomline, phasing out old hardware is always good, forces the consumer to remake their idea of 'NEW' every now and then, which drives consumption for newer developments.

Cheers c:

I am seriously going to miss the i5-2400 and the i5-3450. I don't have either one nor have I ever had either one, but I do new builds for people in the forums all the time and these both get suggested a lot by me since they are significantly cheaper than the x5xx version of the chips with nearly the same performance. Most people don't OC anyway so they don't feel the loss in terms of their processors being unlocked or not.

With AMD set to quit competing vs Intel for desktop processors, though, it makes sense that Intel would phase out some of its lower end options. Might as well just set the lowest quad to be the 3570k if AMD has no serious competing products in the market.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]Kind of surprising, as I didn't think they had too many Ivy Bridges for the low-end market yet.[/citation]

This isn't about the low-end market CPUs, just the upper mid-ranged and high-end markets, so how is it surprising?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Raiddinn[/nom]I am seriously going to miss the i5-2400 and the i5-3450. I don't have either one nor have I ever had either one, but I do new builds for people in the forums all the time and these both get suggested a lot by me since they are significantly cheaper than the x5xx version of the chips with nearly the same performance. Most people don't OC anyway so they don't feel the loss in terms of their processors being unlocked or not.With AMD set to quit competing vs Intel for desktop processors, though, it makes sense that Intel would phase out some of its lower end options. Might as well just set the lowest quad to be the 3570k if AMD has no serious competing products in the market.[/citation]

Excluding the 3450, Intel is simply discontinuing older models. The 3450, as raytseng said, is probably just being dropped because it's a pretty lowly clocked model for this new line and Intel is probably not really getting many Ivy i5 dies that can't do better than the 3450. The chances of AMD having anything to do with this are slim to none.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I'll like Intel add a few more higher clocked i3 models to replace the 3450. High performance per thread is still very important thanks to lazy software developers to optimize their software for multi thread.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Once the old chips are gone Intel can slowly start creeping up CPU prices again, until everyone is paying $400 for bottom end and $1000 for top end again.[/citation]
Considering how much of a commodity computing power has become, this is highly unlikely. Even though AMD may be "far behind" Intel in per-core performance, AMD's chips are still vastly sufficient for most everyday tasks and gaming so if Intel wants to keep selling new CPUs, they have to keep their markup within sane margins.

Also, many people like myself do not feel like we are hurting for faster CPUs even with our venerable Core2Duo/Core2Quad CPUs. With today's Core i3/5/7, the number of people who can make-do with 5-7 years old CPUs is going to become much greater and Intel will have to make a good enough proposition to convince people like me to upgrade even though we do not need it.

Another obstacle to Intel jacking up prices the same way they did around Y2k is that lots of non-(PC-)gamers are doing an increasingly large chunk of their everyday computing on mobile devices. If Intel tried to make people cough up $300 for a low-end CPU, most of those people would give up on owning a PC and use the money for a more powerful smartphone or tablet.

While people may not have too many options for x86-based computing, they do have plenty of options to take their general computing needs elsewhere so Intel cannot afford to drive people away from x86 by turning excessively greedy.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Love my i5-2500K more and more every day, but I do hope AMD comes out with something decent by the next time I upgrade. Heres' to wishful thinking.

It isn't so much about the processing power being the reason to get new CPUs these days. Getting a new motherboard is more important for a lot of people than getting a new CPU is.

Not sure how long after the processors dry up that old boards are going to continue being made.

2 years out the supply of h61, p67, z68, etc boards might all be gone.

USB 4.0 and PCIE 4.0 are probably still a long way out, but you may end up replacing the processor the next time to get something like that instead of just to get more processing power.

znakist

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
LoL. Very good point Invalid. I still have Q6600 with an 680i sli chipset 6 years and counting. It is still do the job, playing encoding, movies and music. I was close to upgrade with a new SB but then i realize i don;t need it. I'm waiting for Haswell & the new Steamroller. I want a platform that can last minimum 6 years, like the one i have now.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Hmm. I just built a system with the core i5 3450. Why are they cancelling it? Better successor?[/citation]

They are probably going to position the i5-3470 into the 3450's current price point IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.