Intel Postpones 25nm SSDs to February 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvc21

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I sure hope the prices come down soon. SSDs have been out for a while now...about time they make it more affordable to the mainstream users.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Seems to me SSDs won't become all that cheaper, instead they will just go up in capacity and speeds. It's like that with most things. Take laptops for example, they won't go down to $50. They will remain at $399 (or whatever deal you can find) and just go up in performance year after year.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]jvc21[/nom]I sure hope the prices come down soon. SSDs have been out for a while now...about time they make it more affordable to the mainstream users.[/citation]
they have been dropping in price, or do you not remember how small and expensive they use to be. just wait, hardware revolutions don't happen overnight.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I need a 80 GB and 256 GB SSD but to expensive right now >.< maybe if they would actually take down prices for us they might make more because people would be buying them up so fast. I remember when hardrives hit like 10 cents a GB..just wish SSD's where there :D

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I have 2 Intel G2 SSDs (160GB and 80GB) as well as a 40GB OWC mercury (Sandforce-1200) and frankly, I prefer the Intel G2 drives. They are also pretty well priced compared to the competition. And Intel 160gb often cost the same as a 120GB anyone else drive. Same for the 80GB compared to 60GB drives

They also perform fantastically :)

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
ssds have a lot of catching up to do. I see them first taking over where size, dropproofness, and power consumption are more important. Slate/ipad devices for instance.

rockerdish

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]Seems to me SSDs won't become all that cheaper, instead they will just go up in capacity and speeds. It's like that with most things. Take laptops for example, they won't go down to $50. They will remain at $399 (or whatever deal you can find) and just go up in performance year after year.[/citation]

Thats exactly what we need. I, for one, am willing to buy a 300$ SSD, provided its atleast 200GB and has better performance. I dont want to buy a 50$ SSD, with 512GB space and performing like a normal HDD.

oliver2oo4

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]Seems to me SSDs won't become all that cheaper, instead they will just go up in capacity and speeds. It's like that with most things. Take laptops for example, they won't go down to $50. They will remain at $399 (or whatever deal you can find) and just go up in performance year after year.[/citation]

Do you not remember 10 years ago or longer when the cheapest laptop you could find was well over $1000?

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've heard rumours that it's because of incredibly low yields on the 25nm process that they have pushed the launch date until a time where they estimate that they have solves the problem. No guarentees that it wont be pushed back even further though.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I still can't care less for SSD's overpriced tag.
It won't be until SSD's prices compete with Hard Drives
eg: 500GB for $100
that I will even consider to get one.

and I beleive that most consumers would agree.
there still be much larger hard drives and at even cheaper prices then, but at least 500GB would be at a reasonable price would be a great jumpstart for SSD's.

KCK

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I like the future, SSDs will be quiet,fast&reliable..I want them now. :p But they're way to expensive per GB and their small performance gain in access times doesn't justify the price tag either.

You can get a 2x500 GB Raid-0 and 1TB backup HDD+frame and still have money left over compared to a 120GB SSD with +220 MB/s, while having almost the same read speed on more space.

For the mainstream those rnd access times just don't matter, as most stuff that has to be loaded at the same time is usually on the same area of the HDD. The SSD will find that spot faster but won't read the data quicker. Unless you have one of those 400-700 MB/s PCIe SSDs (*drool*), but their price tag is even more insane.

And finally the driver support of OSs needs to be better. Right now you need to 'hack' a lot of stuff by yourself to reduce wear&increase performance while making HDD performance a bit worse, because they share some settings.

I like SSDs because they're so quiet, but then again a raid-0 (even with only 7200 rpm) seems to be much more cost effective until the read speed&size of entry level SSDs increases by a lot.

jonahkirk

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
To drwho1have you ever used an ssd? Sure, we'd all like them to be cheeper, but its one of the best performance increases you can add. Do you upgrade your gpu or cpu occasionally? Or are you still waiting to replace your once awesome P4 and ATI 9800?

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Actually, I wonder if this has anything to do with first LightPeak devices slated to appear around the same time period. Perhaps Intel is looking to skip SATA altogether, release these with a LPK interface (along with motherboards to match) and make loot before AMD has a chance to cry 'monopoly!'.

This isn't a strategy I'm terribly against as on the one hand, they could release these with a standard interface and then later with LPK - which will result in multiple sales to the same people (who have money to spend on such devices) - or they can use these as LPK only devices as a lure to get people to switch to their PLATFORM (off AMD for instance). Somehow I think there is more money in the platform path. Of course, its entirely possible that what with their cross-licenses, Intel may allow AMD to use the interface (for a cost), which would help them speed up the adoption of the tech.

Well, whatever way this plays out, bottom line is, I would like my next build to be AMD platform, but I also definitely want LPK and an G3 SSD in there. The later two trump the former one, so if Intel decides to cut AMD out (at least until the inevitable anti-trust lawsuits), they may actually succeed in switching me over to their product line.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]IE: 500GB for $100[/citation]

You do realize of course that SSDs aren't meant to replace your large media storage solutions (which you seem to want). I have a LOT of software installed on my boot drive (300GB Velociraptor) and I am not even close to filling it. There maybe like 20 or 30 people out there that need a boot drive over 500GB, but "most consumers" would agree that about 100GB is more then enough for this function.

Anything beyond that, grab yourself a 2TB WD Green drive for $95 and call it a day (don't use it with XP - its factory formated to 4mb blocks but disguised as 512kb blocks which causes errors in OSes other then Win 7/Vista/OSX/Linux)

Actually, I wonder if this has anything to do with first LightPeak devices slated to appear around the same time period. Perhaps Intel is looking to skip SATA altogether, release these with a LPK interface (along with motherboards to match) and make loot before AMD has a chance to cry 'monopoly!'.

This isn't a strategy I'm terribly against as on the one hand, they could release these with a standard interface and then later with LPK - which will result in multiple sales to the same people (who have money to spend on such devices) - or they can use these as LPK only devices as a lure to get people to switch to their PLATFORM (off AMD for instance). Somehow I think there is more money in the platform path. Of course, its entirely possible that what with their cross-licenses, Intel may allow AMD to use the interface (for a cost), which would help them speed up the adoption of the tech.

Well, whatever way this plays out, bottom line is, I would like my next build to be AMD platform, but I also definitely want LPK and an G3 SSD in there. The later two trump the former one, so if Intel decides to cut AMD out (at least until the inevitable anti-trust lawsuits), they may actually succeed in switching me over to their product line.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Wow, sorry about the paste into the above post of all the text from the 2-above post... Didn't quite realize I had the whole thing copied...

Status
Not open for further replies.