Intel-powered Android Smartphone Headed to Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
The real test is how this holds up to an ARM based device in terms of battery life. All the processing power in the world is useless if you run out of juice in a few hours. I really hope that it's competitive with ARM.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]is it just me or anybody else thinks AMD is kinda late to the ARM party? i wonder what they are up to.[/citation]

the atom is x86

G

I don't think anybody would be buying the reference platforms if they didn't fix the battery life issue. With SoC, I'm thinking it is probably quite efficient. Also hearing it will scale to 2 GHz in turbo mode. Definitely a performer, but agree that it needs to last long. For that to happen, they will also need highly optimized code for x86. I wonder if that is happening or has happened?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
lmao 1.6 GHz is massive for x86, in terms of the performance you'll get.

Battery life is the question. Though from what i read on AnandTech, it wasn't so bad.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
go intel go.....how come the europeans get all the good stuff....when it comes to smartphone hardware, the US is at the back of the line.....why is that?

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Nebun, the answer is simple, US is more apple oriented market? I suppose the % of customers who want to root/unlock/test/tweak their smartphones is larger in europe..

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
is it just me or anybody else thinks AMD is kinda late to the ARM party? i wonder what they are up to.
You're right. AMD has been quite about the mobile market. I'm hoping they blow it all out of the water with a Llano based ARM processor and they're just waiting to announce that they have one coming this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.