Intel Prepping 40 New Xeons for the First Half of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]It would be so nice to be able to do a Xeon build, without breaking the bank.[/citation]

Oddly enough a 2P gaming computer would probably hurt you more than it would help you. Inter-process latency, inter-processor latency and memory latency have a huge detrimental effect on real time applications that aren't extremely well threaded.

[citation][nom]drumsrule786[/nom]I wouldn't mind a 16 core editing/gaming build. Too bad it would cost $5000 probably[/citation]

Oddly enough a 2P gaming computer would probably hurt you more than it would help you. Inter-process latency, inter-processor latency and memory latency have a huge detrimental effect on real time applications that aren't extremely well threaded.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Each one will have its own designated chip-set, requiring the purchase of a new Intel motherboard for every upgrade to continue to milk profits from fan boys.

[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Each one will have its own designated chip-set, requiring the purchase of a new Intel motherboard for every upgrade to continue to milk profits from fan boys.[/citation]

its still worth every penny than sticking with AMD's dollar store CPU's

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Xeons and Opterons aren't the same as Core i's and Bulldozers. The Socket G34 is a very powerful platform, and for the server market right now a Bulldozer is better designed then the desktop based Xeon chips. Not to mention they are a bucket load cheaper. AMD is actually doing good in Server and Mobile markets.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice. I wasn't expecting any IB Xeons until Q3. I'm glad I waited out Sandy Bridge.

Intel is competing with themselves, at this point. Look forward to some massive overclocking potential, as I'm sure they're pushing the 22nm nowhere near their limit.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
These are not for builds, although I am sure you will find them on Newegg... This is for the enterprise arena, As a admin with hundreds of servers, this is news worth waiting for, I just ordered 3 new servers for something, and the current model of Xeons are starting to show there age. This will be a large upscale. Since my next instulation will be 3 ESX servers, the more CPU power and memory support is key. These would not make a good home build at all.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]Oddly enough a 2P gaming computer would probably hurt you more than it would help you. Inter-process latency, inter-processor latency and memory latency have a huge detrimental effect on real time applications that aren't extremely well threaded.[/citation]

Dont know about the impact on the latencies, but i have a dual socket Xeon E5650's or 2x6 core Xeons for 12 cores/24 with HT and 48GB ram, it plays games just nicely =) with Radeon 58702gb. Its used mostly for AutoCAD and Revit renderings etc but i've never had a problem running any game at 5760x1080 (Eyefinity w/3 displays), in fact its very enjoyable!

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
will be interested to see the performance of these new ivy bridge chips. considered replacing my aging i7 870 workstation recently with one of the sandy bridge e3-1200 cpus, but figured new models had to be coming out soon with ivy. just wondering what will be available for the different sockets & suitable for my needs. roll on Q2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.