Intel Previews Its PCIe 3.0-Based RAID Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Pricing will be shocking, no wonder there is no mention of it.[/citation]
Pricing will be where the enterprise customers will pay for it...
Not a consumer or even a prosumer device...

egowhip69

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Competing models? That sounds like "market speak" of "we ain't going to do it."

Especially, since LSI ALREADY HAS their card out, and it has been out for quite some time now. The 9265 -8i is their mainstay card, and boast 1 gig memory, and PCI-e connectivity.

Adaptec (pmc) was left in the dust a while ago... I don't know if they will ever be able to release a card to compete (unless they licenses the 2208 LSI chip that LSI uses.)

Areca has decent performace, but still not to the level of LSI.

Why not a quick and dirty review? Pit this "new" intel against the existing reigning champ... the LSI.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]egowhip69[/nom]Competing models? That sounds like "market speak" of "we ain't going to do it."Especially, since LSI ALREADY HAS their card out, and it has been out for quite some time now. The 9265 -8i is their mainstay card, and boast 1 gig memory, and PCI-e connectivity.Adaptec (pmc) was left in the dust a while ago... I don't know if they will ever be able to release a card to compete (unless they licenses the 2208 LSI chip that LSI uses.)Areca has decent performace, but still not to the level of LSI.Why not a quick and dirty review? Pit this "new" intel against the existing reigning champ... the LSI.[/citation]

I have heard that the 2GB model greatly improves on performance.

kracker

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
The price would be so high they excluded it from the article because it would fill up too much space!

Hehe, seriously though I am curious.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I'd be content if AMD could get PCIe 3.0 support on their boards period. I love AMD, but it seems to me that they've been holding back a while on updating the chipset on their motherboards. I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but I want to replace my Gigabyte UD5, and it would be nice to make the jump to the new chipset at the same time.

wsmith

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Don't overlook any new PCI 3.0 cards by Atto. I use the R680 which is SAS 6Gb, with 512MB memory.

But one wonders: Would a PCIE 3.0 card - even saturate a 2.0 lane?

I ask that question because it's my understanding that the new PCIE 3.0 graphic cards don't saturate the 2.0 lane.

Now, I do suspect that having more memory than my card's 512MB could be a nice thing. But I'm not so sure about that for what I do: video editing. especially muticam editing in Adobe Premiere which involves smooth playback of video streams concurrently.

Status
Not open for further replies.