Discussion Intel prices after AMD 3rd gen launch

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
How much do you think the prices of the Intel CPUs will go down after the Ryzen 3000 launch? Will the mb prices also go down?
What about the 2nd gen Ryzen's? I'm thinking 2nd gen Ryzens and X470 mb's will go down the most since Ryzen 3000 uses x570 mb's
Overall what do you guys think about 3rd gen performance and prices and what will the other CPUs prices be like after their launch

Intel have a history of not dropping prices, they are market leader. I think we would have to see a drastic impact on their sales to force a price drop. Just a guess though.

AMD on the other hand do have a history of adjusting prices. What that might be is impossible to predict. If Ryzen 3000 is as good as some leaks I wouldn’t be surprised if they just put a higher price on these with minimal impact on 2000 series. Again just a guess.

Kamal007v

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
Yeah 7700k still costs more than a 8700k in my country :-D I couldn't bet on intel's price cut and wait for another 3 months i ordered an i7 8700 2 days back. Just waiting on the Navi-RTX situation

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Intel have a history of not dropping prices, they are market leader. I think we would have to see a drastic impact on their sales to force a price drop. Just a guess though.

AMD on the other hand do have a history of adjusting prices. What that might be is impossible to predict. If Ryzen 3000 is as good as some leaks I wouldn’t be surprised if they just put a higher price on these with minimal impact on 2000 series. Again just a guess.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-third-gen-ryzen-7nm-launch-intel-cpu,39449.html They released official specs for Ryzen 3000 almost 12 hours ago... With the release of the new CPUs I doubt Intel will lower prices even if AMD CPUs perform better at the same or lower prices. You should expect to see killer deals on clearance Ryzen 2000 series and X470 motherboards.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-third-gen-ryzen-7nm-launch-intel-cpu,39449.html They released official specs for Ryzen 3000 almost 12 hours ago... With the release of the new CPUs I doubt Intel will lower prices even if AMD CPUs perform better at the same or lower prices. You should expect to see killer deals on clearance Ryzen 2000 series and X470 motherboards.
I know but specs on their own are just interesting, cannot cast any opinions until real world benchmarks are out.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Looks like Intel is in trouble, but that is to be expected given their extensive delays with trying to move to 10nm all the while AMD keeps making progress with their chips. Frankly I'm kind of wishing I had moved to AMD 6 months back when I upgraded, but either way I'm excited to see what happens once everyone has access to lots of processing power at an affordable price.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Well I don't really expect the ryzen 9 to be any close to the 9900k, I mean a non-overclocked 9600k (worst last-gen intel cpu) performs way better than an overclocked 2700x (best Ryzen cpu) in games :p (and the 2700x is $40 more expensive)

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I know AMD focuses mainly on multi-core performance but lets be serious single core performance is still more important rn and it will be the same for next few years

Well I don't really expect the ryzen 9 to be any close to the 9900k, I mean a non-overclocked 9600k (worst last-gen intel cpu) performs way better than an overclocked 2700x (best Ryzen cpu) in games :p (and the 2700x is $40 more expensive)
This is only appicable to high refresh rate 144hz+ at 1080p or lower resolutions. Now that AMD has significantly closed the gap in IPC, i'd rather have 16 slightly slower AMD threads over 6 slightly faster Intel threads for overall system longevity. I purchased a Ryzen 7 1700 a couple years ago and my gtx 1080ti is enough to match FPS with my 3440x1440p ultrawide gaming on ultra. Intel's single core performance is no longer relevant with higher end gaming systems because the graphics cards in them are so powerful, that going 1080p or lower resolution panel would do a dis-service to any high end gaming system.

Last edited:

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
This is only appicable to high refresh rate 144hz+ at 1080p or lower resolutions. Now that AMD has significantly closed the gap in IPC, i'd rather have 16 slightly slower AMD threads over 6 slightly faster Intel threads for overall system longevity. I purchased a Ryzen 7 1700 a couple years ago and my gtx 1080ti is enough to match FPS with my 3440x1440p ultrawide gaming on ultra. Intel's single core performance is no longer relevant with higher end gaming systems because the graphics cards in them are so powerful, that going 1080p or lower resolution panel would do a dis-service to any high end gaming system.
Yeah you're right multi-threads is the 'future' but right now Intel is the go-to.
And at the time games will start using more threads I don't think these CPU's will be relevant anymore - let's be serious who buys a system that is meant to be used 5 years later. That's why I think making a 'future proof' system is pointless and right now, purely for gaming, intel is the cpu

Yeah you're right multi-threads is the 'future' but right now Intel is the go-to.
And at the time games will start using more threads I don't think these CPU's will be relevant anymore - let's be serious who buys a system that is meant to be used 5 years later. That's why I think making a 'future proof' system is pointless and right now, purely for gaming, intel is the cpu
I purchased an 8 core 16 thread R7 not to be used 5 years later. In fact i'm fully using it now. Watch some game play of modern triple A titles like Black Ops 4 with the 6 thread i5 and the AMD R7. Notice how the load is constantly pegged close if not at 100% with the i5, while all 16 threads of AMD's variant are being utilized, however the load is significantly lower. The i5 is no slouch, don't get me wrong i'd be happy to own one, however that chip is going to date fast as triple A titles are already utilizing the chip VERY close to it's limits/full potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectrO_90 and boju
Its hard to say how long a cpu will last. For your grandma who only web browses, a core 2 quad from 2007 will suffice. For gamers, you could use a 4c/8t xeon from 2009 and game well in modern games.

Everybody has different needs from their system.
For me, an overclocked ryzen 5 1600 would probably last be 5 years. The games i play simply arent demanding.

Infact i have been using an overclocked ryzen 3 1200 4 thread cpu fro like 1.5-2 years even though. 4 threads arent enough for nost games, but for the games i play its fine. Heck even GTAV will run at 80fps and is somewhat gpu limited by my gtx 1050.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I purchased an 8 core 16 thread R7 not to be used 5 years later. In fact i'm fully using it now. Watch some game play of modern triple A titles like Black Ops 4 with the 6 thread i5 and the AMD R7. Notice how the load is constantly pegged close if not at 100% with the i5, while all 16 threads of AMD's variant are being utilized, however the load is significantly lower. The i5 is no slouch, don't get me wrong i'd be happy to own one, however that chip is going to date fast as triple A titles are already utilizing the chip VERY close to it's limits/full potential.
Exactly, black ops 4 is how games will be like in the future

How much do you think the prices of the Intel CPUs will go down after the Ryzen 3000 launch? Will the mb prices also go down?
What about the 2nd gen Ryzen's? I'm thinking 2nd gen Ryzens and X470 mb's will go down the most since Ryzen 3000 uses x570 mb's
Overall what do you guys think about 3rd gen performance and prices and what will the other CPUs prices be like after their launch

Why would Intel lower their prices?

Haven't seen anything that would cause that to happen even with the latest updates. Take whatever is being said with a massive grain of salt. (Reality will hit in July once the new AMD CPUs are actually out) ;)

Then Intel is coming out with their new CPU's end of 2019 - Beginning of 2020.

So we will see what Intel comes up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: SgtScream