Intel Promises Big Performance With Sandy Bridge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
They use a tick/tock cycle for die shrinks - I usually buy on the tock side of it. Die shrinks usually bring lower power and other incremental improvements that weren't in the original silicon.

I simply see no need to upgrade, my Q6600@3.2GHz in my tower handles everything I throw at it, and the i7@3.33 in my laptop is similarly adept at getting things done.

I think an SSD would be a better speed investment for a lot of people, because I am very rarely processor limited. I likely won't replace my stuff until it totally breaks, which might take a while.

There is a point which computing is turned into a commodity and people can no longer perceive improvements. I doubt a person not doing CPU heavy tasks like video manipulation would tell the difference between a 20GHz CPU and a 30GHz CPU.

At that point we've got one foot in the Singularity and we'll be to busy in our holodecks to care about how "fast" a CPU is on paper. It's going to be an interesting 20 years.

greenhorn1

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
now I have a problem - in next few months I want to get new gaming PC for about 1,5k$ (ofcourse that GPU will get from that 300$ at least) and dont know what to do - cuz this SandyB with "integrated graphics" dont give me such a optimism at all. I wanted to go for i7-920/950, but looks like LGA1366 will be dismissed by Intel soon :( (NO NEWS!), but on LGA1155 will be CPUs with that integrated graphics sh_t like Sandy and Ivy Bridges. Looks like Intel is pressing me (avarage gamer) away to AMD :(... or I got something wrong?

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I'm looking at building a PC next year but will be holding out for Ivy Bridge. I am a little concerned diving head first into a dye shrink, normally it wouldn't bug me but 22nm is pretty small.

[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Compare the prices of Intel's top tier to AMD's. Now do the same for their bottom tiers. Any different in the middle? Nope. Pretty consistent difference if you ask me...Anyway, regardless of pricing I am sure that both companies will make CPU's that perform quite well. I'm just hoping for reasonable TDP's to go with that performance.[/citation]
Yes but we are talking about the future, not the present. In 2005, AMD's best was $1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS