Intel Promises That Ultrabooks Will Hit $699 This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid
If it's too thick it won't be called an Ultrabook. It won't be allowed to be called an Ultrabook because Ultrabook is a trademark of Intel and we can protect the trademark.

Sounds like Intel, Oh well if all goes well Amd will have some "Ultrathins" at around ivy launch well maybe a month or 2 later.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Great move,great news but not good enough get it down to $400-$500 range, I wanna see it replacing all the $400-$500 notebook which those notebook usually use Sandy bridge IGP.

[citation][nom]buttluv[/nom]Lousy performance for both graphics and CPU, but hey, it's really, really thin.I guess this is Intel's version of AMD's "abandoning the high end desktop". Intel is going to move backwards a few generations in performance so your lazy arse can carry a laptop that only weighs 2 pounds instead of 3.[/citation]

A lot of laptops are more like 5-8 pounds. Y0u have a point, but you under-exaggerate the weight of a laptop. Maybe some 13" laptops are 3 or 4 pounds, but 15" and up is not.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
@buttluv
umm i havent seen any mention of them abandoning the high end market...
They're just competing. Can't let apple own the only laptops in this segment. This doesn't mean they aren't still working the high end.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]slicedtoad[/nom]@buttluvumm i havent seen any mention of them abandoning the high end market...They're just competing. Can't let apple own the only laptops in this segment. This doesn't mean they aren't still working the high end.[/citation]

Umm...
Last I checked, Apple used Intel CPUs int their MacBooks.
As far as I can tell, Intel should be perfectly happy with Apple's business.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
.. i could buy it, if the hardware is 1to1 with MacBook Air's hardware... it could make a good, cheep hackentosh for learning purposes... if not... why should i buy a windows laptop with s#!tty GPU?... i wait until AMD comes out with APU thin thingy with good GPU in it...

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
That ain't gonna happen. Intel wants to stick this gimmick so that it can give competition to mac-books. Drop the price on its CPU's, its chip-sets, optional storage type (standard magnetic discs or SDDs) and cheaper casing. That way Intel will get the mythical 699 dollar tag.

I am somewhat curious about AMD's "ultrathins" solutions.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
$699 seems to be just about the perfect price for this, roughly on par with a decent entry level laptop. You're already trading performance for portability, adding $400 to the price tag is just too much for most people to justify.

Plus, when the Ultrabook is supposed to be the cheaper alternative to the Macbook Air, and it's not actually any cheaper (and in many cases more expensive), you're doing something wrong.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i'll rather get a tablet than an ultrabook. i like the tablet form factor (i.e. asus ep121) better. there is no keyboard to weigh down a tablet as with ultrabook.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]$699 seems to be just about the perfect price for this, roughly on par with a decent entry level laptop. You're already trading performance for portability, adding $400 to the price tag is just too much for most people to justify. Plus, when the Ultrabook is supposed to be the cheaper alternative to the Macbook Air, and it's not actually any cheaper (and in many cases more expensive), you're doing something wrong.[/citation]its nice but the $400-$500 laptop are still going to get to the mass. I probably will not buying ultrabooks until it hit $400-500.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]$699 seems to be just about the perfect price for this, roughly on par with a decent entry level laptop. You're already trading performance for portability, adding $400 to the price tag is just too much for most people to justify. Plus, when the Ultrabook is supposed to be the cheaper alternative to the Macbook Air, and it's not actually any cheaper (and in many cases more expensive), you're doing something wrong.[/citation]
699 is on par with entry-level laptops? I'd like to know where you're shopping for them so I can stay away.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
They should also promise that every single one of these "ultrabooks" under $1000 will have a sh!tty 1368x768 lcd panel on them with washed out color and limited viewing angles, cause that is what they are going to have.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Intel is not likely to drop their CPU prices cause that's how they make money. The Ultrabook form factor is nice, but the whole thing feels like Intel being a bit of bully. I'm hoping the AMD's Ultrathins shake this up.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Part of the required specs are for fast boot times (within seconds), and this requires an SSD. To save cost and increase storage space, some manufacturers are adding a smaller SSD for the boot drive and a normal platter drive for the storage. I'm guessing that's what hybrid means.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
"Intel Promises That Ultrabooks Will Hit $699 This Year" ... in related news, Ultrabooks with AMD chips inside will hit store shelves this year. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.