Intel/Psion Strike Deal Over "Netbook"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Yeah, it's annoying Kevin is the only writer who does this. What ever you guys do it needs to be consistent through all articles.

Back to the story, it looks like someone got a major settlement to change their tune so much.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Seems like Psion might be getting a check from Banco Internacional de Intel.

And yes, it would be in Intels interest to get Psion to drop their suit against all companies, as most "netbooks" run the Intel Atom, and Intel profits heavily from the netbook/Atom crossover.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Psion sounds like a punk company to me. Netbook is a generic term that explains the small laptops powered by Atom chips perfectly. Laptop designed for internet use. I have to agree with Intel here.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]vettedude[/nom]Psion sounds like a punk company to me. Netbook is a generic term that explains the small laptops powered by Atom chips perfectly. Laptop designed for internet use. I have to agree with Intel here.[/citation]
vettedude: read up on a little history (or at least read the article). Psion trademarked "Netbook" back in the 90's, long before anyone else was using it, and long before Intel created the Atom and started using the term to promote Atom. Just because a term BECAME popular, doesn't mean you can violate trademark. Trademarking an already popular term (like Dell trying to trademark could computing) is certainly bogus. Defending a trademark after it became popular is not.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]vettedude[/nom]Psion sounds like a punk company to me. Netbook is a generic term that explains the small laptops powered by Atom chips perfectly. Laptop designed for internet use. I have to agree with Intel here.[/citation]

Hm. I do wonder where Intel got the idea to use the word "netbook." Could it have been from the trademarked name "netbook" Psion coined 6 years ago? Hmm...

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]vettedude: read up on a little history (or at least read the article). Psion trademarked "Netbook" back in the 90's, long before anyone else was using it, and long before Intel created the Atom and started using the term to promote Atom. Just because a term BECAME popular, doesn't mean you can violate trademark. Trademarking an already popular term (like Dell trying to trademark could computing) is certainly bogus. Defending a trademark after it became popular is not.[/citation]

I know. I did read the article. Psion does not sell the Netbook Pro anymore. It ceased in 2003. Atom came out in 2008. I realize for Intel to use the term may be unfair, but Netbook is now just a generic word like Ziplock bags.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Hm. I do wonder where Intel got the idea to use the word "netbook." Could it have been from the trademarked name "netbook" Psion coined 6 years ago? Hmm...[/citation]

I think they did it because it is a notebook computer best suited for browsing the Internet. I wouldn't think Intel would purposely do some trademark infringement, but Intel is a wacked up like that sometimes.

thirdshop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
[citation][nom]vettedude[/nom] Netbook is now just a generic word like Ziplock bags.[/citation]

Just because a name becomes popular it is used as a generic term for similar items, the name itself is still trademarked and cannot be used by other companies to brand their products; examples abound such as Kleenex is used generically for facial tissues, Zip-Lock for pressure closed bags, Xerox for copies, Velcro for hoop-loop fasteners, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.