Intel Q4 Numbers, Net Income Up 875 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]This is why we need to support AMD AS LONG AS AMD does their part giving us very competitive products.[/citation]

We don't need to support anyone, this is not a football game, we are consumers not fans.

AMD should get their act together and make CPUs that can compete with Intel performance wise, then, they'll get all the support they need in the form of sales.

ereuter71

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
jonpaul:

Well, INTC's stock looks to be finishing the week about where it started. Which is pretty good, in comparison to most. AMD's stock is down about 5% for the week.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
They are certainly reaping benefits from their monopoly and tbh, I hope their next quarter is a disaster (which isn't going to happen...), but actually me and most of the above posters are hypocrites.

After all, most of us use an Intel CPU yet disapprove of their monopolistic tactics. It's sad that we just can't avoid Intel products without shooting our PC's leg.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]We don't need to support anyone, this is not a football game, we are consumers not fans.AMD should get their act together and make CPUs that can compete with Intel performance wise, then, they'll get all the support they need in the form of sales.[/citation]

yeah, it's not like there are any other forces besides raw sales in this complex economic scenario. I'm sure the quality of AMDs product is all that matters. /sarcasm

http://www.ag.ny.gov/media_center/2009/nov/nov4a_09.html

ereuter71

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Intel makes a number of high-quality products that I want. Particularly the Nehalem CPUs and X25 SSDs. I'm glad to see Intel making a profit, because I want to see them continue to make excellent products that I want in the future.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Intel is a bit like a drug dealer.
A bit shifty, debatable business practices, deals with opposition ruthlessly, provides a product that gives you a massive high, but no matter how bad it treats you, you always go back for more...
Next years new CPU is the Core iCaine...

By the way, I am a Core i7 920 owner, but my eyes are glazed over and i'm really digging this shit man!!!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Does anyone here know how to read an earnings report? They didn't have a blowout q4 2009, they had a *terrible* four quarters or so leading up to that. Just look at the earnings/share, 40 cents for a stock trading at 20 dollars a share! That's practically dot-com.

It's nice that they are profitable and growing healthily, but this is not some oh-my-god news.

sizzle

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]AMD should get their act together and make CPUs that can compete with Intel performance wise, then, they'll get all the support they need in the form of sales.[/citation]
Read between the lines, that's basically what Sunflier is saying.
/stop trolling.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Does anyone here know how to read an earnings report? They didn't have a blowout q4 2009, they had a *terrible* four quarters or so leading up to that. Just look at the earnings/share, 40 cents for a stock trading at 20 dollars a share! That's practically dot-com.It's nice that they are profitable and growing healthily, but this is not some oh-my-god news.[/citation]
We do understand, profits are up nearly 9-fold, but only because previous profits were so rubbish. Still, good news for investors that the company is back on the road to profitability, so share price dropped a bit but you don't see shareholders making a run on their brokers. Wait a little bit and see that share price rise and the dividends roll in.
In the immortal word of Jar Jar Binks, "Steady...Steady!!!"

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]to bad they couldn't put out a decent integrated GPU. Instead they cockblock nvidia's chipset.[/citation]

I didnt know Nvidia was trying to have sex with my computer!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]We do understand, profits are up nearly 9-fold, but only because previous profits were so rubbish. Still, good news for investors that the company is back on the road to profitability, so share price dropped a bit but you don't see shareholders making a run on their brokers. Wait a little bit and see that share price rise and the dividends roll in.In the immortal word of Jar Jar Binks, "Steady...Steady!!!"[/citation]

The p/e ratio suggests that the stock price is already wildly overvalued. Even Google, the dot-com holdout, manages a better p/e than Intel. This is really more of an 'OK maybe Intel will survive the downturn' type moment, not a 'Oh wow Intel is king of the f$@%@@ universe' moment... Lately 'beating expectations' is all it takes, apparently.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]The p/e ratio suggests that the stock price is already wildly overvalued. Even Google, the dot-com holdout, manages a better p/e than Intel. This is really more of an 'OK maybe Intel will survive the downturn' type moment, not a 'Oh wow Intel is king of the f$@%@@ universe' moment... Lately 'beating expectations' is all it takes, apparently.[/citation]
We ARE in the middle of the biggest economical crisis since the great depression, a modicum of perspective...

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Intel just had a breakout Xmas quarter. Half the numbers in that article are misquoted.

Intel reported GAAP operating income of $2.5b (not $1.5b), which includes in whole a $1.25b payment to AMD. That's why their non-GAAP operating income is a record $3.7b.

Record income excluding one-time charges, record operating margins (65%), and almost record sales of $10.6b, eclipsed only by the $10.7b in Q4'07, which is excusable considering the recession, make for a stellar quarter.

ereuter71

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
joebob:

Earnings are volatile, so I don't usually place a lot of emphasis on the P/E ratio (Robert Shiller averages earnings for 10 years before computing a P/E ratio). But since you brought it up, the fourth quarter earnings for INTC were $0.40 per share, which annualizes to $1.60 per share. At the moment, the shares are trading at $20.80. That gives a P/E ratio of 13.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
You'd think with all that money they could afford to lower the costs of their processors $10.. Or maybe that's why they aren't lowering prices. They know people are suckers and will buy it whether it's $190 or $200. Damn you Intel!

Status
Not open for further replies.