News Intel Quietly Launches 15.3TB Ruler SSDs

That's only about $0.31 per GB -- that used to be a good deal! Just wait another five years or so and massive SSDs will be down to <$0.10 per GB. Of course even at 10 cents per GB, a 15.3TB would still be $1,530. Guess I need it to be more like $0.02 per GB until I could reasonably justify the expense.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The endurance ratings are pretty insane, though. I don't know what the price is for the 1TB version, but its endurance is 1.92 Petabytes written. That's quite a lot. Probably not fair to judge this on home-use SSD prices.

Reactions: bit_user
The endurance ratings are pretty insane, though. I don't know what the price is for the 1TB version, but its endurance is 1.92 Petabytes written. That's quite a lot. Probably not fair to judge this on home-use SSD prices.
Oh, I wasn't -- I'm saying $0.31 per GB for an enterprise SSD is actually quite good, and would have been consumer pricing just a few years ago. And when consumer drives get down to 2 cents or less per GB with double digit TB capacity, that's when I'll buy one. Heh. I lust after that Sabrent 8GB drive, if we're being honest.

It's interesting that Intel doesn't list endurance yet. The 8TB model is rated at 13.88PBW, though, so this should be roughly double that. These drives are all a little weird on the endurance, though. The 1TB drive is 1.92PBW, but if Intel was just doing one drive write per day (DWPD) that would be 1.825 PBW. Is Intel really doing 1.052 DWPD? No, because the 8TB drive is 13.88PBW instead of 15.36PBW -- 1DWPD would be 14.6PBW, incidentally.

Of course if you have a 15.36TB drive, with a peak of 3100MB/s of write speed, it would take 1.37 hours just to fill the drive once! And it can't sustain 3.1GB/s, probably more like 500-1000MB/s sustained writes would be possible. In that cases, it would require 4.27-8.53 hours of continuous writes to fill the whole dive. It's like the largest Optane SSDs for enterprise use, rated at 10DWPD. Except 10X the capacity for the same endurance. 🙃

Reactions: King_V

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Oh, I wasn't -- I'm saying $0.31 per GB for an enterprise SSD is actually quite good, and would have been consumer pricing just a few years ago. And when consumer drives get down to 2 cents or less per GB with double digit TB capacity, that's when I'll buy one. Heh. I lust after that Sabrent 8GB drive, if we're being honest.

It's interesting that Intel doesn't list endurance yet. The 8TB model is rated at 13.88PBW, though, so this should be roughly double that. These drives are all a little weird on the endurance, though. The 1TB drive is 1.92PBW, but if Intel was just doing one drive write per day (DWPD) that would be 1.825 PBW. Is Intel really doing 1.052 DWPD? No, because the 8TB drive is 13.88PBW instead of 15.36PBW -- 1DWPD would be 14.6PBW, incidentally.

Of course if you have a 15.36TB drive, with a peak of 3100MB/s of write speed, it would take 1.37 hours just to fill the drive once! And it can't sustain 3.1GB/s, probably more like 500-1000MB/s sustained writes would be possible. In that cases, it would require 4.27-8.53 hours of continuous writes to fill the whole dive. It's like the largest Optane SSDs for enterprise use, rated at 10DWPD. Except 10X the capacity for the same endurance. 🙃
Probably can sustain near peak - neither of these drives are for desktops - the ruler will be in 1U systems with 32 drives. The previous gen U.2 Intel can easily maintain near peak - they are designed for large arrays and massive throughput - the ruler drives should be similar. Big takeaway for the rulers is near 1PB per 1U rack - and at 22.7TBW the rulers have endurance and density.
Enterprise storage has come down significantly in the last few years.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Good for datacenters, bad for the rest of us.

I hate to see the world of cloud computing hardware drift ever farther from the land of desktop and laptop PCs. A few years ago, I scored a sweet deal on an overstock 1st-gen Intel NVMe datacenter SSD. I fear those days are long gone.

With PCIe 5+, who knows if we'll even start to see a departure from the traditional add-in-card format of other devices.

Reactions: jeremyj_83