Question Intel Rapid Start Technology BIOS error "No Valid Partition" ?

Jan 10, 2022
Hello all,

I'm setting up an ASUS H97M-PLUS based computer and was at the point of installing Intel Rapid Start Technology but am hitting a brick wall.

I have created the special "Hibernation" partition (several times!) with enough space for the RAM on the computer but whenever I try and ENABLE the Intel Rapid Start Technology setting in the BIOS I get a "No Valid Partition" message below the setting.

I do have a valid partition so that isn't the problem.

The drive that is installed in the computer is a M.2 NVMe drive.

I cannot find up to date documentation on Intel Rapid Start Technology that specifies that M.2 drives are supported. Any documentation specifies that an SSD drive is required. It doesn't mention M.2 drives so I'm wondering whether SSD means a traditional SATA SSD and NOT a PCIe M.2 drive? If that is the case then the error in the BIOS would make some sense as it cannot see the special Hibernation partition on the M.2 drive.

Has anyone got any definitive answer on why the BIOS cannot see the Hibernation partition that I correctly created and if M.2 drives are supported? The BIOS is the latest version for the ASUS H97M-PLUS motherboard.

Regards,

fbagnato1

here is tiny note on intel website
Intel® Rapid Start Technology requires a select Intel® processor, Intel® software and BIOS update, and Intel® Solid-State Drive (Intel® SSD). Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022
here is tiny note on intel website
Intel® Rapid Start Technology requires a select Intel® processor, Intel® software and BIOS update, and Intel® Solid-State Drive (Intel® SSD). Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.

Hello kerberos_20,

Thanks for your reply.

Originally you stated that "rapid start is basicly SATA AHCI controller so no, it wont support m2 nvme" but then revised your post.

In regards to your revised post, isn't a M.2 NVMe drive still a "Solid State Drive"??

I read on documentation from Intel that PCIe drives are not supported, but I don't know if the documentation is up to date and that M.2 drives were still supported by Intel Rapid Start Technology and not documented as M.2 drives may not have existed when the documentation was created.

As there is limited information on Intel Rapid Start Technology I just want to be sure that it will not work with my PCIe M.2 NVMe drive.

Can you let me know that your certain Intel Rapid Start Technology does not support M.2 NVMe drives?

Regards,

fbagnato1

Jan 10, 2022
blame google, somehow it throws rapid storage results if you search for rapid start

Yes, I found that too. Don't know why the Intel Rapid Start Technology results are not sorting above all the Intel Rapid Storage Technology entries.

I have searched all the relevant results but cannot get a definitive answer on M.2 support. It seems like M.2 is not supported but I want to be sure and was hoping someone could tell me definitely YES it is supported or NO it is not supported.

Regards,

fbagnato1

Jan 10, 2022
Hi again,

I think I will have to assume that the documentation is up to date regarding SATA support only and I will delete the Hibernation partition I created and disable Intel Rapid Start Technology.

I had posted the same thread on the Intel Communities forum in the hope that someone from Intel could provide a definitive answer but one wasn't offered.

Hopefully this thread might be of use to anyone in the same predicament as me.

Regards,

fbagnato1