News Intel Raptor Lake Breaks Sweat in Preview Benchmarks

Hm... Is it me or these leaks are just saying "Raptor Lake is just a small bump over Alder Lake"? Am I interpreting this correctly? Sure they tout some "30 to 100% bumps in some very specific scenarios", but those we all know what they actually mean.

Also, the 5900X is nowhere near its MSRP now. You can always find it at or under ~$420 (£360 in the UK). We have Alder Lake to thank for that!

To me, this is just small confirmation Meteor Lake will be trading blows with Zen4. Which is good.

Regards.

this is just small confirmation Meteor Lake will be trading blows with Zen4.
if it can barely beat 5900 (not even best in productivity or gaming as thats 5950x & 5800x3d) i doubt it'll trade blows with Zen 4's high end unless they can get a lot more performance from now until release.
not super exciting to see a 13900 (basically the flagship) only beat it by a small amount and they also get crushed in vector vs not flagship previous gen.
Also have to remember its (likely) ddr 5 vs ddr4 in the benchmarks (as zen3 doesnt use ddr5)

Hope they can get better performance thoguh as want competition.

if it can barely beat 5900 (not even best in productivity or gaming as thats 5950x & 5800x3d) i doubt it'll trade blows with Zen 4's high end unless they can get a lot more performance from now until release.
not super exciting to see a 13900 (basically the flagship) only beat it by a small amount and they also get crushed in vector vs not flagship previous gen.
Also have to remember its (likely) ddr 5 vs ddr4 in the benchmarks (as zen3 doesnt use ddr5)

Hope they can get better performance thoguh as want competition.
Look at the purported clocks and also assume this is an ES. The very limited information we can go by and filling the blanks/gaps with some good guesses, make me think Meteor Lake won't be a second Alder Lake in terms of improvement, but in MP it'll be decent enough. Those extra cores will help for sure. How much? Well, it'll depend on final clocks. I think they're using the same Silvermont lil' cores for Raptor, no?

Regards.

Reactions: Makaveli

criticaloftom

Prominent
Jun 14, 2022
there's only really one worthwhile metric 'performance per dollar @ same tdp'.
If you can't provide it; then all you've got is hot air & supposition.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Keep in mind this 13900 ES part is running 26% slower clocks than the 12900 it's being compared to. I can't imagine it would come out at 3.7Ghz, that's not going to happen.

That said I didn't expect anything more than a few % in IPC from Raptor Lake vs Alder. The boost was always going to be in additional cores and some cache rework - L1 and L3 look like they are the same just more cores, L2 though is different. The DDR5 memory controller should be improved as well.

Keep in mind this 13900 ES part is running 26% slower clocks than the 12900 it's being compared to. I can't imagine it would come out at 3.7Ghz, that's not going to happen.
That's what it's reporting...
but we all know how badly ES or new CPU support in general is for the apps that read out this info.
We can hope that it was really running at that speed because that would mean that the end product would be very nice but it's not a sure thing.