News Intel Readies Refresh for its 'Fishhawk Falls' HEDT Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Still rocking my X299 platform with an i9-10920X OC'd to 4.8GHz all core. Fantastic for my video projects and games like a champ. Though, it is starting to age. Been waiting for this refresh before I consider upgrading. It'd be nice to move on from PCI-e 3.0, particularly for storage. Consumer-grade platforms don't have enough PCI-e lanes for me. 6 NVMe drives, RTX 4090, a capture card, 10G networking card. Using all available 48 lanes at full speed.

Reactions: jp7189 and Amdlova

Amdlova

Distinguished
Still rocking my X299 platform with an i9-10920X OC'd to 4.8GHz all core. Fantastic for my video projects and games like a champ. Though, it is starting to age. Been waiting for this refresh before I consider upgrading. It'd be nice to move on from PCI-e 3.0, particularly for storage. Consumer-grade platforms don't have enough PCI-e lanes for me. 6 NVMe drives, RTX 4090, a capture card, 10G networking card. Using all available 48 lanes at full speed.
Don't be fooled for these pci4 or pci5 speed... pci 3.0 still rocking... you will spend tons of money for 3 4% improvements. Get a optane will be better in every aspects.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't be fooled for these pci4 or pci5 speed... pci 3.0 still rocking... you will spend tons of money for 3 4% improvements. Get a optane will be better in every aspects.
Sorry, don't agree. If you copy big files, PCIe 4.0 can be worthwhile. Not to mention that the last generation of Optane drives is PCIe 4.0, so...

Another argument for PCIe 4.0 is that you can have a PCIe 4.0 graphics card in one of your x16 slots of a regular desktop board. If you populate the other x16 slot, then they both drop to x8, but PCIe 4.0 x8 is still fast enough that you'll hardly notice the performance impact on most games and GPU-intensive apps.

Reactions: emike09 and Amdlova

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Not interested at all in PCIe-5, but I could certainly benefit from PCIe-4 speeds. Optane is cool, but Intel has abandoned it. It's also expensive, even used, for large capacity drives, and I benefit more from sequential read/write speed vs random, or insane IOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.