Intel Releases New SSD Firmware to Fix 8 MB Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Meh, 8MB is plenty of space for an OS drive and a few documents too...

For like DOS...

This is the SECOND popular boo boo Intel has had with their SSDs. 1st was the BIOS 'Password' problem, and now the illustrious 8MB problem...

Kind of reminds me of the Pentium that couldn't do math back in the day...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Compare this with the failure rates for OCZ drives and Intel products will seem to be perfect.

But you also wonder why a bug like this didn't come up during their product testing.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Compare this with the failure rates for OCZ drives and Intel products will seem to be perfect.But you also wonder why a bug like this didn't come up during their product testing.[/citation]
That's because in testing they test a lot less devices then the number sold on the market. Seems pretty obvious. That's why there exist updates on everything, from cars to pc hardware to software.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I applied it last night to my 120GB drive. It's a small < 5MB ISO. I don't have anything of note on the drive so didn't back up, but it was non-destructive in my case.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Just applied it to my 160 GB drive, went fast and without any issues.

Have to say, compared to what else we have seen, Intel have been quick to develop this firmware fix.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I'm always glad to see a company step up and correct problems and publicly communicate the fix to users.

Honesty and forthright behavior, with a proper fix or repair WILL ALWAYS GET MY BUSINESS!

beenthere

Distinguished
The unfortunate situation with consumer SSDs is that they are being rushed to market for great profit - without proper validation. This applies to all vendors including Intel. Hopefully these issues will get sorted out by all SSD companies as it's unscrupulous to be selling SSDs with reliability and compatibility issues.

SlitelyOff

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
"I applied it last night to my 120GB drive. It's a small < 5MB ISO. I don't have anything of note on the drive so didn't back up, but it was non-destructive in my case.
.."

Am I the only that first saw the

SlitelyOff

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
"I applied it last night to my 120GB drive. It's a small < 5MB ISO. I don't have anything of note on the drive so didn't back up, but it was non-destructive in my case.
.."

Am I the only one that saw the "< 5MB" and thought "OMG, now his drive is 5MB rather than 8MB!"

TelegrumpSam

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
intel is beginning to look like someone is sabotaging the company from within...

You mean that AMD van parked out in the parking lot ?

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]lutfij[/nom]intel is beginning to look like someone is sabotaging the company from within...[/citation]
Because they're releasing things that have issues? They're trying to keep on top of a large number of markets. It's hard. I personally dislike Intel, but, I have respect for the diversity of the company. They have decent stuff, and are competitive in everything (except on-die graphics, which, we'll see what they can do with their next gen). I love competition. This next year will be interesting.

Botia

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Meh, 8MB is plenty of space for an OS drive and a few documents too...[/citation]

You'll never need more than 8MB of space.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]The unfortunate situation with consumer SSDs is that they are being rushed to market for great profit - without proper validation. This applies to all vendors including Intel. Hopefully these issues will get sorted out by all SSD companies as it's unscrupulous to be selling SSDs with reliability and compatibility issues.[/citation]

Competition is great but it seems increasingly that it is becoming so over the top that everything is being rushed to market and this isn't good for consumers in the end. Of course it isn't good for reputations either. A little slow down wouldn't hurt anyone if it greatly increases durability and reliability.

RELIABILITY IS WORTH PLENTY TO MOST CONSUMERS EVEN WITH TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS!

I'm also not a fan of Intel, I think AMD is more consumer friendly in many ways, but I'm never unhappy to see a large company come forward, publicly admit a problem and come forward to repair the issue in a timely manner. This is good, OLD FASHIONED, CUSTOMER SERVICE, glad to see there is some honor left in ANY large business today.

I know everyone is so anxious to see the Bulldozer come to market, BUT I think AMD is doing the right thing if there were any issues to that needed to be addressed with it delaying the launch. Smart move in the end because consumer will get the best product possible.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]slitelyoff[/nom]"Am I the only one that saw the "< 5MB" and thought "OMG, now his drive is 5MB rather than 8MB!"[/citation]

That's awesome :-D

rhyando

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hello all,

i want to share my HP elitebook 8460p with SSD 320 series problems.

Hard drive Specifications :
1. Model Number : INTEL SSDSA2BW160G3H
2. Model SERIES : INTEL SSD 320 SERIES 160 GB (show as 8 MB in intel SSD toolbox)
3. Serial Number : BAD_CTX 0000013F (shown in intel SSD toolbox)
4. Firmware : 4PC10365

PROBLEMS :

1. Bluescreen error in windows vista enterprise 32 bit after automatic update in my company.

2. After restarting the notebook i got the following message in the startup "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE". My windows wouldn't even start.

3. I connect my SSD into another computer as secondary drive and boot to the windows. Check in the disk management, i found my harddrive is only 8 MB. Many of the forum called this "8 MB BUG". Note : my SSD harddrive is not shown in my computer.

SOLUTIONS TRIED :

1. HP software & driver : I downloaded "Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) Firmware Update" on website "" and trying to do install SP52887 directly from windows and it says "setup status : this harddrive model is not supported : ST380013AS" which is my first harddrive (not the SD). The most updated firmware, i try to install SP5508 and it says "update status : This harddisk model is not supported". SP52887 installer is also comes with disk images to update firmware from boot process, i also do this and it says "your harddrive is having the latest firmware, no upgrade is needed". So, i think i have no luck with HP software & driver.

2. Intel SSD toolbox : I downloaded Intel SSD toolbox from website "" and i cannot update to the latest firmware because of i have the latest firmware already. The only thing left is "SECURE ERASE" and it's the last thing i want to do because it will delete all the data in the SSD hard drive.

QUESTIONS :

Anybody know how to fix SSD 320 series harddrive without secure erase it ?

G

Gillware now has the ability to recover data from Intel 320 Series SSDs after the 8 MB bug or BAD_CTX errors. This is a breakthrough for the data recovery industry, and we wanted to let people know that they have a way to get their data back after one of these firmware errors. Please contact us at Gillware Data Recovery for more info. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.