Intel Releases Two New Atoms for NAS Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]D425 and D525 are boring names. Call them "Hydrogen" and "Helium," as in "I just bought a netbook with a helium atom in it."[/citation]

I have to agree. It would be cool to see them adopt element names to denote different models.

"Plutonium Inside"

:)

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Atoms running a full OS are slow as hell, but I wonder how these would run android (hint hint put it in a phone).[/citation]Why android ? It runs good in a netbook oriented linux distro.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Atoms running a full OS are slow as hell, but I wonder how these would run android (hint hint put it in a phone).[/citation]

There were rumors a while back about Intel designing chips for devices like phones and such. It was a modified atom-like chip with a super low TDP that would make cell phones and such much more powerful.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Atoms running a full OS are slow as hell, but I wonder how these would run android (hint hint put it in a phone).[/citation]I don't understand what you're trying to say ...

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]I have to agree. It would be cool to see them adopt element names to denote different models. "Plutonium Inside":)[/citation]
NVidia GTX Plutonium?
Should grill the same way.....

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]There were rumors a while back about Intel designing chips for devices like phones and such. It was a modified atom-like chip with a super low TDP that would make cell phones and such much more powerful.[/citation]

Not just rumors. The next gen Atom for smart phones is in the works. Its based off the one thats able to do full 080P encode/decode. Has independant power planes for each part such as music, video and phone features.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]There were rumors a while back about Intel designing chips for devices like phones and such. It was a modified atom-like chip with a super low TDP that would make cell phones and such much more powerful.[/citation]Rumors? I thought Intel was doing this for sure? They had an article, right here on Tom's.

G

its funny they compare those two in size to a coin im sure most people (i know i dont) do not recognize, so those coin and processors could be the size of texas... but we wouldnt know it :/

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Well, I have to say, for an inexpensive low-end server / NAS, Atoms make a LOT of sense. I've just set up one of these:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=dCuSHhM0xDkhj7v0

Runs CentOS 5.5 x64 with 4 GB of RAM and provides me with:

- Samba storage
- Torrenting
- Routing
- Full featured Apache web server
- Mail server, webmail
- FTP
- TeamSpeak 3 Server
- DNS

And a ton of other functionalities related to Web Services. Not bad for a tiny in-order dual core which draws 35 W fully equipped. (I still run it from a cheapo 450 W PSU, so power will drop even more with an adequate, efficient unit).

What reason would I need to buy more power hungry equipment? Well, none, except for maybe opening up an ISP business. And even then, you could find some use for low end Atom-based dedicated servers.

akorzan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Atoms running a full OS are slow as hell, but I wonder how these would run android (hint hint put it in a phone).[/citation]
What he is trying to say is that the original atoms were really meant for ultra portable PCs, (UMPC) a hand held phone like computer with more kick than a regular smart phone. They were not really designed for low power and cheap laptops or now called netbooks.
The original atom was rather slow and could not even playback 720p video very well.
Now they are much better and as seen in Toms Hardware recent p4 vs atom, the dual core atom flat out beats a 3.0 GHz P4 while using less power.
If you want overall system responsiveness on the older atoms than go with linux. Even the original Asus Eee PC before the atom used linux and a celeron m at 800 Mhz.

But don't kid yourself the atom is not for Photoshop, Seti@Home, number crunching, or Crysis.

[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]I have to agree. It would be cool to see them adopt element names to denote different models. "Plutonium Inside":)[/citation]

Kim Jong-Il might want to get a hold of that!

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]D425 and D525 are boring names. Call them "Hydrogen" and "Helium," as in "I just bought a netbook with a helium atom in it."[/citation]

you win 1 internet

Status
Not open for further replies.