Intel Releases ULV 17-watt Sandy Bridge CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]S J W[/nom]This is JUST A LAPTOP. It is nothing special at all.[/citation]You have an opinion and possibly others will feel differently about it.
Some might even chose to purchase an item like this.
I think Apple might have had a few clues as to whether there is a market for an item such as this.
And I suspect someone will sell a ton or two of these ultrabooks.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
The integrated graphics of Intel's Sandy Bridge chips, however, will likely be enough to satisfy Apple's performance targets for the MacBook Air.
... apple!!! Go AMD Liano!!!

S J W

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Well ask yourself, can this do anything more than the average laptop? No.

Can it do anything less than the average laptop? YES

It won't have as many USB sockets, or connection options and no DVD re-writer, or blu-ray and possibly poor gaming credentials...

So will you be using this to do anything more than you do on your average laptop? By design - NO.

This is the perfect Apple product: Fashion tech junk.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
One more die shrink with Finfets and these processors will be down below 10W. Lower the frequency to phone levels of about 1ghz with a turbo to 1.8ghz and you have yourself a tablet processor that beats the ARM competition.

G

OMG, a new i7!!!!! I'm just going to ignore the fact that 1.8/2.9ghz isn't that impressive, and that this is just another dual core laptop CPU. I'm also going to ignore the fact that this will perform on par with every other $400 to $600 mainstream laptop released in the past 5 years.

Of course, this product is for the people who need a "thin, stylish laptop", or those who are too lazy to carry around a 6lb laptop, but not quite rich enough to hire someone to carry it.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Battery life comparable to AMD's Zacate, far more superior processing power......................if only they both cost the same........................*sigh*[/citation]

Too bad you have to pair it with a video card to do gaming of higher caliber than facebook, which destroys the battery savings. Or you could buy a Zacate based laptop with 25% less cpu and 100% more GPU for about $100 more than just the I7 CPU.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]stereotypical_intel_fanboy[/nom]OMG, a new i7!!!!! I'm just going to ignore the fact that 1.8/2.9ghz isn't that impressive, and that this is just another dual core laptop CPU. I'm also going to ignore the fact that this will perform on par with every other $400 to $600 mainstream laptop released in the past 5 years.Of course, this product is for the people who need a "thin, stylish laptop", or those who are too lazy to carry around a 6lb laptop, but not quite rich enough to hire someone to carry it.[/citation]
Then by your perspective buying a top of the line smartphone is the worse anyone can do. Because for the price of it without a contract I can buy a laptop that is way more powerful.
Sometimes power isn't everything, sometimes certain people are willing to sacrifice a little bit of power for the extra mobility.
Also I would like you to find a $400 dollar laptop on sale today that has a cpu that outpaces these. I'm not even going to ask for you to find one from 5 years back that is better because it's non existent.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Or you could buy a Zacate based laptop with 25% less cpu and 100% more GPU for about $100 more than just the I7 CPU.[/citation]

Let's just ignore the fact that Zacate integrates a HD5450 core that has to share memory controller with the CPU, and the CPU is anemic enough for hobble the GPU.

While the HD3000 is on par/beating the discrete HD5450.

BTW, the GPU Turbo clock in these new ULV parts clock about 20% higher than the ones released earlier this year, putting it on par with standard voltage parts.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
17 watts seems a little excessive for something to be crammed into a tablet. Didn't the Core 2 do better in that regard with its ULV chips?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]S J W[/nom]Well ask yourself, can this do anything more than the average laptop? No.Can it do anything less than the average laptop? YESIt won't have as many USB sockets, or connection options and no DVD re-writer, or blu-ray and possibly poor gaming credentials...So will you be using this to do anything more than you do on your average laptop? By design - NO.This is the perfect Apple product: Fashion tech junk.[/citation]

Apple isn't the only company making ultra portable laptops
Battery life and weight are much more important than price or performance, if you carry a laptop 24/7.

I would trade the optical drive of my laptop in a heartbeat for less weight or more battery life. I don't think I've ever used it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]tajisi[/nom]17 watts seems a little excessive for something to be crammed into a tablet. Didn't the Core 2 do better in that regard with its ULV chips?[/citation]
The core 2 duo did had a lower tdp (10w to 17w), but unlike the core 2 duo these i5/i7 come with a gpu, memory controller,... stuff that usually was in the north-bridge or in a separate chip, not to mention that it's a lot faster than the old c2d.

S J W

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Nobody carries a laptop around 24/7.

When your home at work, ergomonically a PC is much better to use. If you used a laptop 24/7 then you would notice the difference hugely. My cousin used to only use laptop for 6 years straight, spending £2000-£1500 on his laptops. He finally bought a i7 PC and now all he ever needs is his 11" netbook for day to day work. I mean I would say 90% of buyers of this ultra book couldn't use the full processing power of a i7 chip, and especially not the performance claims of this full i7*.

It seems like the laptop is trying to meet the tablet PC's portability, and the tablet PC is trying to meet the PC performance. People just need to man up, and realise that if you want a true multimedia laptop experience, your going to have carry than extra pound in weight for the sockets you need, USB and multimedia and a dvd writer. For the day to day laptop needs of a "ultra book" user, I don't believe you need anything more than a Quad Core 2, as what exactly will you use this ultra book for especially?

This isn't a $400 laptop, and the prices of this laptop haven't even been realeased yet so it can't compete with anything yet. The biggest bottle knecks in todays PC's and laptops isn't the processor or the graphics cards - ITS THE HARD DRIVE.

This chip will run a laptop just as slow as a 6 yr old PC if the HD is clogged up and badly maintained, and to really see the speed that'll be advertised from this Ultra book, you'll need to have a SSD drive inside.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Apple isn't the only company making ultra portable laptopsBattery life and weight are much more important than price or performance, if you carry a laptop 24/7.[/citation]

Sounds like the ultra-portables are mainly for people with less than average muscle mass (or too much fat/muscle ratio or simply lazy). Anyone can carry a normal Laptop... Maby that extra Laptop lbs will help the general health rather than the ultrathin that only makes people even lazier/less healthy!

You wouldn't be talking about all the lovely ladies now, would you?
It's not a 'one-size fits all' world out there.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
These processors will be used in the Ultrabook that Intel was talking about, but the new Ivy Bridge will be more appealing with its even lower power consumption than Sandy Bridge.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]AznShinobi[/nom]... Combine this and a Llano's APU and I'm in.[/citation]
How would you combine a ULV i7 with a Llano?

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]These processors will be used in the Ultrabook that Intel was talking about, but the new Ivy Bridge will be more appealing with its even lower power consumption than Sandy Bridge.[/citation]

Yes. And roads will get wet with rain.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]S J W[/nom]Nobody carries a laptop around 24/7.When your home at work, ergomonically a PC is much better to use. If you used a laptop 24/7 then you would notice the difference hugely. My cousin used to only use laptop for 6 years straight, spending £2000-£1500 on his laptops. He finally bought a i7 PC and now all he ever needs is his 11" netbook for day to day work. I mean I would say 90% of buyers of this ultra book couldn't use the full processing power of a i7 chip, and especially not the performance claims of this full i7*.It seems like the laptop is trying to meet the tablet PC's portability, and the tablet PC is trying to meet the PC performance. People just need to man up, and realise that if you want a true multimedia laptop experience, your going to have carry than extra pound in weight for the sockets you need, USB and multimedia and a dvd writer. For the day to day laptop needs of a "ultra book" user, I don't believe you need anything more than a Quad Core 2, as what exactly will you use this ultra book for especially?This isn't a $400 laptop, and the prices of this laptop haven't even been realeased yet so it can't compete with anything yet. The biggest bottle knecks in todays PC's and laptops isn't the processor or the graphics cards - ITS THE HARD DRIVE. This chip will run a laptop just as slow as a 6 yr old PC if the HD is clogged up and badly maintained, and to really see the speed that'll be advertised from this Ultra book, you'll need to have a SSD drive inside.[/citation]
This laptop does have a SSD not and HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.