Intel Releasing SATA 6.0 Gbps SSDs Next Month?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
+1 for henry
This is the same argument people make about their slow crap car. Its fast enough to get me to work...we can only go 60mph...who needs that much power?

Day to day use these drive make a difference. Everything is snappy. There is no delay due to disk fragmentation....Even the crappiest SSD is 10x better than the fastest drives you can buy.

I cant buy a Ferrari but I sure as heck drool over the (wasted) power it has.

Personally I cant imagine a PC without an SSD and I am going to buy 2 of these babies when they come out (sorry OCZ)..

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]vvhocare5[/nom]+1 for henryThis is the same argument people make about their slow crap car. Its fast enough to get me to work...we can only go 60mph...who needs that much power?Day to day use these drive make a difference. Everything is snappy. There is no delay due to disk fragmentation....Even the crappiest SSD is 10x better than the fastest drives you can buy.I cant buy a Ferrari but I sure as heck drool over the (wasted) power it has.Personally I cant imagine a PC without an SSD and I am going to buy 2 of these babies when they come out (sorry OCZ)..[/citation]
I think 10 times better is a HUGE exaggeration.

My PC is a quad core 2.83, 4 gigs ram, GTX 570...(average) I used to have a caviar black HDD and swapped it for an SSD recently. At startup i gained a few seconds(literally a few only, 10 seconds tops). While opening a program we are talking about milliseconds faster, not seconds. SSD's are not near as awesome as you guys "think" they are. For me the $130 upgrade isn't justified, i wish i had waited.

Did you buy a new system and also get an SSD at that time? Yah, you’ll see incredible improvements. Try upgrading your day to day PC from a fast'ish HDD to an SSD and get back to me on your amazing, awesome deal and how incredibly fast you are now. My machine was quick before, and it still is.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
@grieve; Try stuffing a .zip file with Gigabytes of small files while running a defrag of that drive while running an antivirus scan. Then run what you normally run.. You will notice that your Caviar Black will cause the system to crawl whereas with an SSD, it would probably still be responsive.

SSDs pwn with multitasking. But yeah if the person is a light computer user then the cost of an SSD might not be worth it. It all depends on what the bottleneck is for the person using the computer..

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]just a 1$/gb that's all i'm asking for.[/citation]

It is getting closer, good SSDs have now price down to 1.5$ in some cases (Vertex 2). Although, to get to 1$ for reasonably performing SSD might take another 2 years.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]What do I care if they make a 24 Gbps SSD? It's still way too expensive. As already stated, less speed would still be fine if we could get reasonable prices. The best thing about SSDs is latency. Having, imho, 150mb/s read and 80mb/s write would be just enough, if they were able to get a decent latency and a much better price.[/citation]

Well, you will get spoiled. I have drive with 200/100 read/write and I am already regretting I did not buy Vertex 2. I would say anything with reasonable IOPS and 250/250 read/write should be great for having good feeling by beating any HDD in any single performance characteristics. 200/200 being reasonable for the moment.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Taking for example that intel 120GB cost $279 thats $2.33 per GB for SATA 3, which is reasonable compare to others at the same around 128GB capacity.[/citation]
No, it is not. You can get good drive for between 1.5$ to 1.75$ per gigabyte nowadays (120GB+ drives).

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I passed on getting an SSD with my new build and instead put 2 x 1 TB Caviar Blacks in Raid 0. Loading Windows isn't any faster, but loading startup programs, Firefox, and games is ferociously fast vs. non-Raid. I just can't justify an SSD when I'd pay $300 for 256 gb vs. $120 for 2 TB of raid 0.

G

So my question is. Do I hold off my plan of buying a Intel X25-M 160GB for 2-3 weeks and get one of these instead?

I ruled out the Crucial C300 because of it's power consumption and the OCZ Vertex 2 because it looked like it had random performance issues. The Intel seemed to be the only consistent SSD at the cost of being in the middle of the road for performance and power consumption.

Or am I way off?

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
What is amazing is that the Intel SSD's are considered the 'benchmark' model and that there are cheaper (usually worse) and more expensive (usually better) Solid State Drives on the market.

---> Making storage a semiconductor was a fantastic idea!

jevola

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]I don't get it either, I mean I just shelled out over 2 grand for my system build....what is a couple hundred more to eliminate it's primary bottleneck? Sure it won't make a difference in games, but I guess I'm crazy for using my PC for things other than just video games!Anybody that can't respect the value SSD's bring aren't true PC enthusiasts. Or they just like watching that cute Windows 7 start up logo while their slow PC loads[/citation]

I agree totally. Games don't utilize it so install them on data drive, simple. SSD's are the best thing since sliced bread imo.

At least their writes spees are in line with reads.

I have 2 x Intel X25-V 40GB in RAID0. Reads max @ 400+, writes @ 100+.

But the OCZ Vertex 2 and Agility 2 almost max out the SATA 2 bandwidth, alone. I can't wait to see what RAID0 a couple of these together do.

Still, what are OCZ Vertex 3 specs?

ultrasbm

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
That's my drive! Right at the top!! :) (hd benchmark link)

I got a Crucial C300 256Gb on a whim in August. Cost me over £450.
You know what? It's transformed my computer!
I now am waiting for a 512Gb SSD so I can have one in my Vaio laptop!
If you have never used one, then you REALLY don't know what you're using!

For those of you who know about SQL (to a point), I did a test script which imports 7,500,000 records from a CSV in to SQL Server 2008 R2.
On my Laptop (750Gb WD Scorpio Blue) it inserted rows at approx 40,000 per second.
On a dedicated server I have, it did 55,000 rows per second.
However, on my desktop PC...(Phenom II X4 955@3.8GHz, 8Gb DDRIII RAM, 256Gb C300 SSD) it did over 260,000 rows per second!!!!

Do you lot understand how much bloomin' time that saves me every freakin' day!?!?!?!

Oh, and Office starts up instantly etc :)

Status
Not open for further replies.