Intel Reportedly Battles Atom Clover Trail Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

nforce, AMD doesn't have an SoC that would fit in a phone. How will they go with AMD? This is for always on type platforms, not the more powerful tablet solutions that are desktop replacements. These are fully mobile hardware solutions with baseband mobility. Why don't you get AMD to get the 'crap' in the first place and then they can show us how great their drivers are.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
This story is a few weeks old and follows on from tech blogs reporting that Intel stated that, 'Windows 8 was not ready'. Obviously the stupid tech blogs went with the negativity angle and then this story hit.

"Windows 8 held back due to Intel being slow, not because it's not finished!"

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
SA debunked the Bloomberg report, though they're hardly complimentary about Clover Trail as a whole:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/10/08/bloomberg-wrong-about-intels-woes/

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]JeezLouise[/nom]nforce, AMD doesn't have an SoC that would fit in a phone. How will they go with AMD? This is for always on type platforms, not the more powerful tablet solutions that are desktop replacements. These are fully mobile hardware solutions with baseband mobility. Why don't you get AMD to get the 'crap' in the first place and then they can show us how great their drivers are.[/citation]

Like Wisecracker said, Hondo. A low power enough version could work in a phone/tablet just fine.

What he said that I said. AMD with Hondo will happily support Windows8 and Linux with mature video and chipset drivers, which -- for now, at least -- is more than can be said of Clover Trail.

Video, chipset and even docking support via Lightening-Bolt by AMD is a slam-dunk touchdown dance --- simply an extension of a mature Bobcat/Zacate ....

backed by TSMC 40nm (and with Kabini LP, 28nm in 2013) production capacity -- not to mention OEMs have already previously marketed Win7 Tabs and hybrids.

Oh, snap! Go AMD [:lutfij:4]

G

Yes Intel will happily support not so complete drivers, and happily support OEM's customizing their HD graphics deivers! Any shim, bubblegum, or duct tape, just get those drivers ready, stability be damned, to go with their advaced chips, whose advanced CPU and GPU functins may or may not be fully supported by the OEM's of the appliances with Intel Inside.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JeezLouise[/nom]nforce, AMD doesn't have an SoC that would fit in a phone. How will they go with AMD? This is for always on type platforms, not the more powerful tablet solutions that are desktop replacements. These are fully mobile hardware solutions with baseband mobility. Why don't you get AMD to get the 'crap' in the first place and then they can show us how great their drivers are.[/citation]The article is about full x86 Windows 8 tablets, not ARM-powered Windows Phone 8 phones, or even ARM-powered WinRT tablets. Put down your crack pipe, and read the article before posting. AMD's Z-60 will make for a damn fine Win8 tablet.

G

Intel develops crappy drivers? What since when?

Yes, that is sarcasm.

What I don't get:

Pine Trail was late and under-whelming, and a complete fail before ION graphics.

Cedar Trail completely dropped off the road map and generally failed with **Intel GMA 3650 graphics** (their first dance with PowerVR).

Intel skips into Clover Trail with updated PowerVR graphics for x86 Tabs and hybrids on Windows8, and excuses (and deflections) continue to fly. No word on support, on battery life, on gaming or on HD video, but the CT Atom CPU only pulls 1.7w!

I wonder what the total Tab draws :lol:

Hondo may ultimately **bomb** but I got an AMD E-350 15-inch laptop on the cheap and swapped-in an OCZ SSD. It's killer, and I find it hard to believe that Hondo would be any different on Tabs/Hybrids with Windows8.

Unless OEMs screw-up AMD Hondo Tabs with gimped-down connectivity and crappy components.

Intel will likely work through their issues, but they should not drag down the market to their level. Give us Hondo (and Kabini!), and let's roll!

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
If MS had decided to go with AMD for their Surface more people might be more enthuased for it. As it is, Atom has left a bad taste for most people. I for one will likely avoid all Atom products.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
The same thing happen last year I think with Intel's Atom processors been delayed because of driver problems, where did I read this Fudzilla, because I was thinking about getting one back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.